Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Could this be a clogged filter?

I have not had it changed in a few months and now that I drive so much for my commute, I'm wondering if this is it or perhaps something else? Keeping in mind with all the snow and mud and filth on the roads that I have to drive in, I'm wondering if it's just really, really dirty.

Car runs perfectly fine on flat surfaces, going downhill, etc. Car does not shake when going 50mph or more on flat surfaces or downhill.

When beginning trip, car does not shake when going up hill, this only happens at around 50-60 miles in to trip. It also only happens when the hill is particularly steep, again, towards end of trip.

When it shakes, it makes what to me sounds like a warbling noise. Is it a clogged filter, is it just the tires need to be rotated? Does it sound like something more heinous?

Thanks.

Oh, in case you need to know: 2004 Kia Rio.

No other issues, at this time, with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
When it shakes, I would stick it in neutral and take foot off accelerator and see if shaking suddenly stops or continues.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
When it shakes, I would stick it in neutral and take foot off accelerator and see if shaking suddenly stops or continues.
I have never stuck my car in neutral while driving...would it just stop? The roads I drive are pretty busy, don't want to cause an accident. And if the shaking did stop, what would that tell me? If the shaking didn't stop, what would that tell me?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM

The car would continue going forward, but would slow down. Same as taking your foot off the accelerator.

Perhaps you can find a hill which has no traffic on it. (Do be safe!)

If you place it in neutral and the engine is at idle and it still shakes as much, then that would be a problem with the wheels, tires, road, etc.

If the shaking suddenly stops and it then rolls smoothly, then not a problem with wheels or road, but a problem with the drivetrain or engine.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The car would continue going forward, but would slow down. Same as taking your foot off the accelerator.

Perhaps you can find a hill which has no traffic on it. (Do be safe!)

If you place it in neutral and the engine is at idle and it still shakes as much, then that would be a problem with the wheels, tires, road, etc.

If the shaking suddenly stops and it then rolls smoothly, then not a problem with wheels or road, but a problem with the drivetrain or engine.
That last one sounds horribly expensive.

Here's what I do, like tonight for instance when I was about 15 miles from home after driving 50 miles already. I got to a very steep hill. Unfortunately, the people who designed these roads decided it would be a GREAT idea to make us go up this steep hill from a stop. Naturally, my Kia isn't the most powerful car so getting up that hill requires I either go really slow or I suck down a half tank of gas just getting up.

I choose just go slow if there's no one coming behind me, as I did tonight. The first part of the hill was ok, but the second part is when the car/steering wheel started to shake. It was shaking so bad I thought, "Oh boy, I'm going to break down in the middle of nowhere, it's freezing cold, the wind is blowing hard, it's dark....great!"

I slowed down and it eventually stopped and drove pretty normal after that.

I'm taking it in either tomorrow or Tuesday but wanted to get an idea of what it could be so I don't get ripped off with something I don't need.

Anyway, another thing to note: This afternoon on the way to work, again, a large hill towards the end of my commute. Shaking trying to get up the hill. (I don't really accelerate, meaning, I don't push down on the gas hard, I let the car make it up on its own although of course the speed goes way down.)

I decided to stop at a gas station and the car sat for a few minutes. Ran perfectly fine after that the rest of the way.

?!?!?!?

Some people mentioned suspension or CV joints or ball bearings. Well, suspension would be all the time, wouldn't it? I've had ball bearings go out....it could be this but again, wouldn't it happen more often than just at the end of a trip up a hill? Someone else mentioned brakes are bad...? Wha? CV joints...don't have enough experience with that. And finally, someone else mentioned clogged filter.

Do any of the above sound like possibilities or are these people in left field?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 AM

202 posts, read 532,077 times
I'm feeling like either the car is overheating or it's having issues downshifting. Do you do the recommend maintenance on it? All the fluids and what not?

I'd search the Kia forums and see if it's a common problem. And check if there are any TSBs.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Ok, brought it in to the shop today and they tried to recreate which I told them they wouldn't be able to do without driving at least 50+ miles and going up steep hills, but they tried nonetheless.

They could not recreate the problem, naturally. But, they did mention maybe calipers?

I take it back in tomorrow for them to put up on the lift and bang around to try to find the issue.

In the meantime, I have looked up caliper issues and all I see is that it can cause the steering wheel to shake while braking. I'm not braking going up a hill....could it be calipers? Does that sound even remotely right? Doesn't sound right to me based on what I've read but I'm not a mechanic, either.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Brakes should have nothing to do with this problem. Try a different mechanic. You do the driving to show them the problem.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
You have Ford T, apparently. Ford T had gravity flow fuel supply, and they had to go uphill in reverse, or there will be no fuel supplied to the engine. Fuel tanks was atop of the rear seat backrest.
What sounds like happening, and only fools judge over the internet, so fool I am, is that you have fuel supply cutting off when fuel tank is lower than engine. Resulting in jerking engine.
Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Your fuel pump is likely going south.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You have Ford T, apparently. Ford T had gravity flow fuel supply, and they had to go uphill in reverse, or there will be no fuel supplied to the engine. Fuel tanks was atop of the rear seat backrest.
What sounds like happening, and only fools judge over the internet, so fool I am, is that you have fuel supply cutting off when fuel tank is lower than engine. Resulting in jerking engine.
Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Your fuel pump is likely going south.
It only happens after driving about 50+ miles and going up a steep hill. It doesn't happen in the beginning of the trip. Interesting, I will ask them about that.

I took it to two mechanics today, just to see what each one would say. Still waiting on the other mechanic to get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive