Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,764,579 times

Advertisements

I would definitely have to drive around. Whether I go this route or go for a more familiar to me 4X4. I live right on the coast in MD so any vehicles within a several hundred mile radius of me have dealt with either road salt, ocean air salt, or both at some point in their life. I am probably asking about the impossible as far as rust free on those panels as they are usually the first to rust. You never know though. At least with the bronco/blazer I can cut it out and screw on a set of cut out flares to cover the hole and it will look good as well as help make room for tires. Just wouldn't be right on a car.

Trying to weed through my options as it can get quite boring around here in the winter and older vehicles are much easier to work on then any newer computer model cars. And for some reason any 80's on cars just don't do it for me. No, I'm not an old vehicle snob. I currently have a 12' fiesta for commuting and a 07' Ram with 35's as my fishing/hunting/work truck. I've never personally been into cars, for me, but something like I mentioned would be a good addition as a weekend toy. If not possible for that price range, oh well. Time to figure out another option. Another thing is, as mentioned, kind of running (no matter how bad) would probably be required as then it could be registered and kind of moved around my yard between fixes so the HOA wouldn't be on my case. It hasn't been bad as of now but I could foresee problems if I towed home a shell and had a pile of parts laying next to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,081,661 times
Even Barret-Jackson prices are way down the last 3-4 years, except for the rarest with the finest body-off restorations. When I bought my '72 El Camino in 2002 I paid $7,000, it was a recent budget restoration with the original engine rebuilt. When I sold it in 2007 I was lucky to get $4,000 for it. Before that I had a '63 Ranchero, and sold it for just what I'd paid for it 5 years later.

Check Classic Autotrader. There is everything from $1,000 rust buckets to
fine restored beautys available. Make an offer, some have been on the market a long time and people get desperate. Close to 500 Chevelles to choose from. Check also Craigs List for the really rough ones, you might get a deal if willing to do the work.

AutoTrader Classics Vehicle Search - 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle

Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM

255 posts, read 461,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually none of them are all that hard to find if a person is willing to travel and isn't too picky about color, options, etc.

My point was that you can usually find a drivable base model for about 1/4-1/2 the price of a high-end basket case or rolling body. Didn't mean to imply that you're going to find either in the next block.
I certainly agree that you can find the "base" model (don't really agree with that description...for example, a Dodge Coronet 500 was much nicer and better appointed than a Dodge Super Bee, but it wasn't a muscle car and doesn't bring the premium), for much less than the muscle car, but perhaps my "bar" for anything is just set a bit higher than yours.

I've found that regardless of the car, whether it's a muscle car or not, it's worth it to pay for a restored model or a very nice original rather than try to do it yourself. It's MUCH cheaper to pay for someone else's work.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM

255 posts, read 461,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Even Barret-Jackson prices are way down the last 3-4 years, except for the rarest with the finest body-off restorations. When I bought my '72 El Camino in 2002 I paid $7,000, it was a recent budget restoration with the original engine rebuilt. When I sold it in 2007 I was lucky to get $4,000 for it. Before that I had a '63 Ranchero, and sold it for just what I'd paid for it 5 years later.

Check Classic Autotrader. There is everything from $1,000 rust buckets to
fine restored beautys available. Make an offer, some have been on the market a long time and people get desperate. Close to 500 Chevelles to choose from. Check also Craigs List for the really rough ones, you might get a deal if willing to do the work.

AutoTrader Classics Vehicle Search - 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle
Oh! Those are two good ones too. The El Camino and the Ranchero go for a LOT less than the passenger car equivilant.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I would definitely have to drive around. Whether I go this route or go for a more familiar to me 4X4. I live right on the coast in MD so any vehicles within a several hundred mile radius of me have dealt with either road salt, ocean air salt, or both at some point in their life. I am probably asking about the impossible as far as rust free on those panels as they are usually the first to rust. You never know though. At least with the bronco/blazer I can cut it out and screw on a set of cut out flares to cover the hole and it will look good as well as help make room for tires. Just wouldn't be right on a car.

Trying to weed through my options as it can get quite boring around here in the winter and older vehicles are much easier to work on then any newer computer model cars. And for some reason any 80's on cars just don't do it for me. No, I'm not an old vehicle snob. I currently have a 12' fiesta for commuting and a 07' Ram with 35's as my fishing/hunting/work truck. I've never personally been into cars, for me, but something like I mentioned would be a good addition as a weekend toy. If not possible for that price range, oh well. Time to figure out another option. Another thing is, as mentioned, kind of running (no matter how bad) would probably be required as then it could be registered and kind of moved around my yard between fixes so the HOA wouldn't be on my case. It hasn't been bad as of now but I could foresee problems if I towed home a shell and had a pile of parts laying next to it.
Living in an HOA community in the heart of rust country, I don't see you becoming the happy owner of any sort of muscle car, much less buying one for only a few thousand dollars. I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic. You really need a good, and big, garage if you are going to play the old car game. It is very hard to win the old car game in salt country.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,866,675 times
I would think your best bet would be an 80's GM F-body or Mustang. Maybe an earlier 80's Grand Prix or something too (before they all went FWD). The older classic muscle cars seem to only go for a couple grand when they need a frame up restoration. However, not many people are viewing 80's cars as "classics" yet. You would just need to find one which has generally not been driven in winters, so it isn't rusted out underneath. One with higher mileage may go for a couple grand if the owner has had it a while and is looking to just move it. With a solid structure, you can repair it back to good running condition.

At least that is where I would start if I were you.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,106,646 times
You will be limited for a couple grand. While you might find yourself a Chevelle, you will be probably looking at a four door and 6 cylinder. Neither of which is a bad thing though. Four doors can always be blended with dark colors and shaved door handles, but please don't shave just the back ones. 2 door and big block swaps can always be done too. Besides getting the desired year/model car, you could always go with something different. There are plenty of choices from the early 60s and mid 70s through early 90s, but you're going to have some lacking stock performance there as well and while there will be deals out there finding a nice car with an upgraded drive train for a good deal might not be the easiest thing to do. Best bet with that will be a '74-93 Mustang that was originally a 4 cylinder as they are so common and many of the 4 cylinders have been swapped out for better v8s.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would think your best bet would be an 80's GM F-body or Mustang. Maybe an earlier 80's Grand Prix or something too (before they all went FWD). The older classic muscle cars seem to only go for a couple grand when they need a frame up restoration. However, not many people are viewing 80's cars as "classics" yet. You would just need to find one which has generally not been driven in winters, so it isn't rusted out underneath. One with higher mileage may go for a couple grand if the owner has had it a while and is looking to just move it. With a solid structure, you can repair it back to good running condition.

At least that is where I would start if I were you.
I agree and that's good advice, however the op has already stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
And for some reason any 80's on cars just don't do it for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you're sold on a 60s-early 70s era vehicle, the best bang for your buck will be a base model; for instance, Plymouth Satellite rather than Road Runner, Pontiac Tempest/LeMans rather than GTO, etc. They'll turn just as many heads as the high-performance versions and can be outfitted with the same equipment for a fraction of the cost. Just don't build a clone, that's just lame.

But as others have said, you can still pick up the '70s-'80s RWD coupes pretty at pretty reasonable prices.
Do this if you want a car ^^^^ Many of the BASE models were REAL sleepers... and very good performance. I would probably do (make) an early 70's Dart with a 340, for least expensive and FAST and fun and relatively SMALL (to keep out of sight in HOA).'

for 4x4, I would do a pre 73 GMC or Chev with a Cummins 6BT transplant, or a Bronco 1 with a 4BT cummins transplant. MANY around, and fairly EZ to put together for a few thousand. The diesel will make an unbeatable 4x4 and get 20 mpg and NO hassle maint / dependability. I recently bought a 1st gen Dodge Cummins 4x4 complete for $2000, you just need to find the BEST K5 to plant on top of Dodge Chassis (2 weeks work). I pay EXTRA for good bodies with paint / rust repair done. (that step is time consuming and expensive. Many folks have done it FIRST and run out of time and money., thus you 'help them OUT

I look to Austin or San Antonio for my body Donors (cars, trucks, 4x4), and I get many of my engine donors there too. Rust free and CHEAP. $87 airfare (SWA) to go fetch helps too! Heck... I would get OUT of that HOA, (buy a LARGE shop on acreage with a NICE apartment inside (out of veiw of tax assessor)) and make a trip to Austin, and buy a 1st gen Dodge cummins, and a flatbed trailer and tow home a Blazer and a Dart so you can keep BUSY this winter. Too much FUN.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,764,579 times
I love the original bronco but finding one for a relatively affordable price is unheard of. My next choice 4X4 would be the full size, straight axle 78/79. I had 2 in the past and am very familiar with them. A k5 blazer as well.

As far as cars go. I have no problem with a 6 cyl base model. After all, one of the purposes of wanting to do this is to get rid of some winter time boredom. So an engine swap would almost be expected and due to the fact I'd be looking at around a 40 year old car, axle/trans/susp/etc.. would probably need to be replaced as well. Based on that I wouldn't need a top of the line model either because I wouldn't expect most systems to work anyway. I have no issues with doing any of that. And in reality, my HOA isn't bad. It would just be better if I could move it around periodically so they see it as a current driver that's getting some work done to it rather then a pile of metal that just sits.

All these ideas are appreciated as I have gotten some good info. Looks like I would have to up my budget for the initial car a bit. Also it's giving me ideas of what the similar cars are and where to look. As an example I mentioned chevelle but would be just as happy with the other similar style GM or similar cars. I'm not looking for a badge. Just a platform to put a slightly built small block in to get a good sound and have the enjoyment of keeping some classic American metal on the road.

As someone noted there is no way I would find anything around me. So that would mean taking a road trip. That is understandable. Also, with the exception of this week, the winters here aren't too bad to work on anything without a garage. A lot of places here don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive