Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,586 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Looking for some advice about which car to keep (we're moving to a city and plan to only keep one).

Car 1 = 1997 Honda Civic EX (manual transmission) with 133,000 miles on it. Minor wear and tear and minor rust (from a year each in MA and IL) and the trunk leaks in heavy rain. Never had any major problems with it and it gets regular oil changes, etc.

Car 2 = 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 70,000 miles. Minor wear and tear. It has needed more repairs in the last year or two than the Civic. No rust. Regular oil changes, etc.

Situation: we're keeping one car because I will be commuting to work (highway) 50 miles each direction, 4 days a week.

Even with the mileage and age difference, the Civic has a higher Blue Book value. Insurance costs will be about equal for both cars.

We couldn't care less what the cars look like - we're looking to hold on to the car that will run the longest and cost us the least in repairs.

My gut tells me we should keep the Civic, despite the fact that it is older and has more miles on it. But I'd love to hear from folks who know more about cars than I do.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,338 times
Civic hands down. As you have already experienced the Olds needs repairs often as do all GM products from that time period. The Honda is will run 200K without any major issues or repairs where as the Olds is nearing the end of it's useable life. I certainly wouldn't put my faith in it to drive 100 mile round trips daily.

Add in the better mileage and it pretty much answers itself...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
All things being equal, I'd probably keep the Civic.

But, if you really have no personal preference, you might consider how much more you could get by selling the Civic rather than the Olds. The power train on either car should last at least 200,000 miles with continued regular maintenance, and both cars are reaching the respective ages where you will have to start fixing annoying little problems.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
I would pick the Civic as well. Primary reason being the better overall MPG for the long commute and the better resale value. That generation of GM cars also isn't known to be the most reliable vehicles on Earth. You are pretty much assured of needing to do a major repair (engine or trans) in the next couple years at the miles you will be driving and the car simply isn't worth that investment.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Civic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intrigue for so many reasons, some cited above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive