Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
An automobile isn't always a liability. If you drive a classic car that appreciates, it most certainly is an asset. As far as an automobile being used to get from one place to another, it doesn't have to be a liability, that's the choice of the owner.

All I was trying to point out is that paying cash for a car, especially one priced $30k or more isn't going to save much with interest rates so low.
Totally agree with the interest thing. I think you have to be smart about financing - sometimes it really is to your advantage to hold on to your cash.

As for assets...ok, you're talking about a fraction of a percent of all cars out there, most of which require a lot of maintenance to remain worth more or the same as when they were 'new.'

For the rest of us (who love classic cars but don't have time for their unreliability issues, lack of safety features, and overall generally poor performance/handling relative to newer cars), we can't go into buying a car with the notion that our feelings are going to be hurt that it's not worth the same amount of money as when we took it home the first day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
An automobile isn't always a liability. If you drive a classic car that appreciates, it most certainly is an asset. As far as an automobile being used to get from one place to another, it doesn't have to be a liability, that's the choice of the owner.

All I was trying to point out is that paying cash for a car, especially one priced $30k or more isn't going to save much with interest rates so low.
"drive" being the key word. Keeping something like a 1989 911 in the garage to drive 2-3K miles a year will avoid a lot of depreciation. Using that same car to deliver pizzas 6 days a week while keeping it parked on the street at night isn't going to have much benefit. Even when a car is no longer depreciating due to age, it can still depreciate from use.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM

I have never seen low mileage change a KBB estimate by very much.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am not sure what depreciation really has to do with this equation, unless you would rather be covered by gap insurance in a loan, than assume the risk of eating the depreciation in the event of an accident.

Otherwise, a car's principle cost over 5 years is going to remain constant, whether it is purchased or financed.
Personally, I don't understand the obsession with depreciation, it's probably because I tend to keep cars for a while.

Also, unless you are thinking about selling, what does the value really matter?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 18,007 times
Negotiate price, not payment

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times
Get a low mileage 2-3 year old car instead...they really are out there and some other poor sucker already took the first few thousand of depreciation.. It amazes me that car salespeople's jobs are to get you to spend a staggering fortune for something that is dropping in value like an up turned hourglass as you sit there looking at it in the showroom. I spend way too much money on new cars in my life and I finally wised up...And the best part?? No one really cares or even remembers that you bought it "new"..Your real friends don't need an explanation,... and your enemies won't believe you anyway...Save your cash!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM

That's nice but the used cars aren't that much off of a new one.
Not these days.

And do you buy everything used?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Methinks your post would be alot more useful to us chickens if you didn't litter it with industry jargon.
I thought it was a very imformative post. I am not in the industry and understood everything.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
What is a simple rule of thumb to use when buying a new car, is it like 20% of your monthly income or what? For example, if someone brought in 5.8k a month, and 20% of that is a little bit over 1k. Thanks in advance.
Not sure about the financial stuff, but in general my basic rules of thumb are:

It must not be a convertible
It must not have an automatic transmission
It must not have a wimpy engine
It must have only two doors
It must have 4 round tail lights

Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Personally, I don't understand the obsession with depreciation, it's probably because I tend to keep cars for a while.

Also, unless you are thinking about selling, what does the value really matter?
Depreciation matters if your car is wrecked or flooded or a tree falls on it or it's stolen. Insurance will pay you the current market value.

Depreciation matters if, in 5 years, you decide to get another vehicle even though you thought you would keep this one longer.

Depreciation matters if you are in a financial situation where your total net worth is evaluated and you need it to be as high as possible. The less your car is worth, the less your net worth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive