Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM

337 posts, read 896,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sorry, bub, but the fact that one may be permitted to go as fast as 55, does not mean that one is required to go as fast as 55. The attitude that everyone *must* drive *at* the [upper] limit is ignorant. All manner of vehicles (as well as pedestrians) are entitled to use the roadway at whatever speed they are comfortable with (at or under the limit) or at whatever speed their mode of transportation is capable of [that may be less than the limit].

It does not matter if the other person(s) are traveling in a car, a horse and buggy, a bicycle, or walking. If you wish to go faster, you must wait until you come to a place where it is safe to pass and then do so with care and without endangering the person(s) you are passing or traffic traveling in the opposite direction. In many places there are actually markings on the road which indicate where this action is permitted. (In fact, in the case of horses or other animals being ridden or driven, if you fail to pass with care and scare the animal(s) you can be cited for violating the law.)

AFAIK, only limited access interstate highways (which specifically forbid pedestrian, animal, and vehicular traffic where the vehicle is not capable of at least 45mph) have a minimum speed limit, which is typically 45mph. Even if the upper limit on such a highway is 75mph, a vehicle traveling at 45mph is operating within the law and you not only have no right to [attempt] to compel the driver to operate faster by tailgating and horn-blaring etc., but to do so is a violation of the law on your part. You must wait until it is safe to pass and then do so with care.

Your desire to travel at the limit does not compel others to do so, and you have no right to [attempt to] compel them to do so. There are a number of reasons why someone may be traveling at less than the posted [upper] limit, from not feeling comfortable for the conditions to simply enjoying a leisurely drive and they have the right to do so. Deal with it and move on (when it is safe to do so).
Stop reading after the first two sentences. Driving below the speed limit or average speed of a given roadway is dangerous.

Edit: read the rest of post. Who gave you your license? No one has the "right" to drive 40mph on a freeway with a posted speed limit of 70mph. That's a ticketable offense and is dangerous. If you don't feel comfortable, get off the road. We don't need any more idiots on the road endangering lives

Last edited by CrossCountryTrip; 02-03-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
...Driving below the speed limit or average speed of a given roadway is dangerous...
Driving over the speed at which you feel you have adequate control of your vehicle is even more dangerous. Driving 50MPH in a 55MPH zone is perfectly acceptable AND safe. I am teaching a new driver and I tell this driver to drive at the speed at which they are comfortable. We are not driving on Interstate highways and we are not driving 15MPH below the speed limit (impeding traffic flow is 15MPH below speed limit).

Learn the "rules-of-the-road" yourself before you criticize how others drive.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Driving over the speed at which you feel you have adequate control of your vehicle is even more dangerous. Driving 50MPH in a 55MPH zone is perfectly acceptable AND safe. I am teaching a new driver and I tell this driver to drive at the speed at which they are comfortable. We are not driving on Interstate highways and we are not driving 15MPH below the speed limit (impeding traffic flow is 15MPH below speed limit).

Every car is different. I feel comfortable at 80mph in some vehicles and 65mph in others. I dont drive at a speed where I become reckless but I do drive at a speed I feel comfortable at. I rarely look down at my speedometer on the highway. Modern cars are designed and built to be able to achieve much higher speeds in a much safer manner whereas the speed limits currently in place seem rather out dated in certain places. So for those where 55mph is comfortable..stay in the right lane. For those like me where 80mph is comfortable stay in the left lane. I would never get in the right lane and complain how slow everyone is driving because I am in the slow lane.... just as slow drivers in the fast lane should not wonder why they have a line of cars behind them and the finger getting flashed at them by everyone that passes them.. KNow your limits and the correct lane to be in and you should be ok.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Stop reading after the first two sentences. Driving below the speed limit or average speed of a given roadway is dangerous.

Edit: read the rest of post. Who gave you your license? No one has the "right" to drive 40mph on a freeway with a posted speed limit of 70mph. That's a ticketable offense and is dangerous. If you don't feel comfortable, get off the road. We don't need any more idiots on the road endangering lives
Don't waste your time. Plenty of CD Posters think it's okay to drive 40 or less in a 70 mph zone.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
^^^And there are even more who think it's perfectly OK to go 90MPH in 55MPH zone. And even worse is they think drivers who are going at speed limit or even 5 above are impeding the flow of traffic!!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

I know the rules of the road very well. I'm always 10-15mph over the speed limit. Speed on my bike keeps me safe, better to have 2 wheels moving faster than riding along with 4 wheelers who aren't paying attention. That's the way they teach you in motorcycle safety courses run by the highway patrol. And you know why I've never been in an accident? Because I put 100% focus and attention to the task at hand. When I was being taught how to drive at 16 by a professional instructor they always told me to keep up with traffic regardless of how fast it was going. I'll take speeders vs. distracted drivers anyday. If you want to mug along 5-10mph below the speed limit fine by me... just make sure you only do so when people are allowed to pass.

Totally irrelevant... but the world would be a better place if all vehicles were manual transmission. Maybe that'll get rid of the texters.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
^^^And there are even more who think it's perfectly OK to go 90MPH in 55MPH zone. And even worse is they think drivers who are going at speed limit or even 5 above are impeding the flow of traffic!!
One a one way roadway (highway, freeway, interstate) what's wrong with going 90mph? Besides the risk of a ticket... what exactly is wrong with that? Speed is not dangerous. Eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel, and the slightest bit of focus and you'll be okay. Speeding becomes dangerous when combined with reckless activity (texting, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating).

Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
One a one way roadway (highway, freeway, interstate) what's wrong with going 90mph? Besides the risk of a ticket... what exactly is wrong with that? Speed is not dangerous. Eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel, and the slightest bit of focus and you'll be okay. Speeding becomes dangerous when combined with reckless activity (texting, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating).
Read this report and you will know what is wrong with speeding.

http://www.etsc.eu/documents/copy_of...0Sheet%201.pdf

Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sorry, bub, but the fact that one may be permitted to go as fast as 55, does not mean that one is required to go as fast as 55. The attitude that everyone *must* drive *at* the [upper] limit is ignorant. All manner of vehicles (as well as pedestrians) are entitled to use the roadway at whatever speed they are comfortable with (at or under the limit) or at whatever speed their mode of transportation is capable of [that may be less than the limit].

It does not matter if the other person(s) are traveling in a car, a horse and buggy, a bicycle, or walking. If you wish to go faster, you must wait until you come to a place where it is safe to pass and then do so with care and without endangering the person(s) you are passing or traffic traveling in the opposite direction. In many places there are actually markings on the road which indicate where this action is permitted. (In fact, in the case of horses or other animals being ridden or driven, if you fail to pass with care and scare the animal(s) you can be cited for violating the law.)

AFAIK, only limited access interstate highways (which specifically forbid pedestrian, animal, and vehicular traffic where the vehicle is not capable of at least 45mph) have a minimum speed limit, which is typically 45mph. Even if the upper limit on such a highway is 75mph, a vehicle traveling at 45mph is operating within the law and you not only have no right to [attempt] to compel the driver to operate faster by tailgating and horn-blaring etc., but to do so is a violation of the law on your part. You must wait until it is safe to pass and then do so with care.

Your desire to travel at the limit does not compel others to do so, and you have no right to [attempt to] compel them to do so. There are a number of reasons why someone may be traveling at less than the posted [upper] limit, from not feeling comfortable for the conditions to simply enjoying a leisurely drive and they have the right to do so. Deal with it and move on (when it is safe to do so).
Wild applause. Yes, this is exactly the case.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Read this report and you will know what is wrong with speeding.

http://www.etsc.eu/documents/copy_of...0Sheet%201.pdf
Skimmed. That gives zero study to what people are doing while speeding. Like I said, speed is not dangerous. Speed coupled with reckless activity is dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive