Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,699,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Because

1) I'm already driving way over the speed limit.

2) I don't care and I've never cared a single bit in my 10+ years of driving and I'm still in one piece!
So you don't care if you're holding up traffic? That's exactly what I figured all these left lane drivers are doing - holding up traffic because they enjoy doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So you don't care if you're holding up traffic? That's exactly what I figured all these left lane drivers are doing - holding up traffic because they enjoy doing that.
Not because I "enjoy" it but because that's the most comfortable way to drive for me and I've never faced any negative consequences for doing that over many years: Sticking cruise control at 75mph on the left lane (even though the speed limit is 65 and not caring a single iota about the people I'm holding up. )

Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Not because I "enjoy" it but because that's the most comfortable way to drive for me and I've never faced any negative consequences for doing that over many years: Sticking cruise control at 75mph on the left lane (even though the speed limit is 65 and not caring a single iota about the people I'm holding up. )

Sigh. I was taught to drive in driver's ed, and then later by a boyfriend who drove defensively. He taught me to move out of the way if someone needed to pass. I move to the right lane to let people pass if I see that someone is doing that. I guess I want others to do the same - allow traffic to move, rather than block it. I try to stay on the right lane, but if I need to go on the left, it's to advance, then back to the right lane to cruise.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
Quote:
I have been known to pass them when I can, get in front of them, then go even slower than they do for a while to give them the message. One gave me the finger one day.
Quote:
Sigh. I was taught to drive in driver's ed, and then later by a boyfriend who drove defensively. He taught me to move out of the way if someone needed to pass. I move to the right lane to let people pass if I see that someone is doing that. I guess I want others to do the same - allow traffic to move, rather than block it. I try to stay on the right lane, but if I need to go on the left, it's to advance, then back to the right lane to cruise.
May I know who taught you what you wrote in one of your earlier posts?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
In many states you are doing something wrong, and you will get ticketed for it.
It's called driving in the left lane, speeding or not..

State "keep right" laws

You may use the left lane (when there is more than one lane in your direction) to pass. You may or may not be able to use the left lane when not passing. The table below describes the law in effect in each state.

A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic. A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions

State "keep right" laws

Quote:

Uniform Vehicle Code
Where have I heard that before?
I was told it didn't exist.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Uniform Vehicle Code
Where have I heard that before?
I was told it didn't exist.
Where have you been the last few decades? Action speak louder than words, and actions (of law enforcement) still say this is the Wild West!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
Giddy up...
Quote:
this is the Wild West!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
May I know who taught you what you wrote in one of your earlier posts?
Yup. I wrote the original post - #1.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,118,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

THEN, they make a fricken career out of actually TURNING the damn car. It is unbelievable how slow they turn and I don't mean, "Oh, this person is just impatient" I mean, they are barely moving at all as they make their turns. They typically make their turns right in front of other people.....their slow, slow, slow, slow, slow turns.
OMG yes. And then a lot of them can't make just a turn they have to first veer over into the other lane and make this wide crazy turn like they are driving a semi! I am scared to try to go around them because they will sideswipe you making a turn.

And then others will get impatient when someone is waiting to turn so they just make up an extra turning lane and go around them. It's unbelievable. One time I saw a guy do that but as he passed the person in the turning lane, he honked, rolled down the window and shouted obscenities at the person. Holy crap

Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,136,986 times
Quote:
Brock Yates of Car & Driver once put it so well: "My main job as a driver is to stay out of everyone else's way."

This isn't very complicated. These people will readily admit it. They don't care about others on the road. They're the same people who leave their shopping carts blocking the aisle in the grocery store. They're rude, oblivious people. Above all, though, they're bad drivers. If I may suggest one trick that works for me time and again: Pull up alongisde them so they catch sight of you just outside their tunnel vision. Pace them for awhile and then gradually slow down. Bad drivers usually feel a need to go the same speed as the car nearest them. I would say half the time, the bad driver will slow down as well. Now, quickly accelerate as they decelerate and swing in front of them. You'll be surprised how often this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive