Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You know what? From now on, I'm calling the cops or the sheriff's department on people driving the left lane and refusing to move to the right lane, when there's a line of people behind him/her.

Yesterday I saw a Florida Sheriff deputy at a supermarket so I walked up to him and asked him, "In a two-lane roadway, both going in the same direction, is it permitted for someone to remain on the left lane, if there is a huge line behind him, as long as he's going at the required speed limit."

The Florida Sheriff deputy said this: "The left lane is reserved for passing, not for leisurely driving upon, and obstructing traffic is a violation. Go look up 316.081, (1)(a) and (2)."

So I did! Everyone should be driving on the ride side of the roadway. It is reserved for passing unless there's an obstruction. Vehicles going slower than "normal" speed of traffic (this doesn't mean the lowest possible speed, but the "normal" speed), need to stay on the right.

316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

You have a right to do that if it is a law in the state you are driving. Make sure you know about the rules of other states as well if you happen to drive there before you call the cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Texashorselady accuses you all of being speed demons, but then says she's not the one policing the left lane. When you tell her that you are not the speed demon she said you are, she never believes you, yet, wants you to believe that she isn't the one policing the left lane. It's a never ending argument. She has dug in and will never admit that she does not understand the rules of the road, well, except for the speed limit, which is the only rule that counts with her. That's just the way it's going to be. She's not the only one who thinks that way. This thread is going the same way as all of the others on the same topic: Nowhere!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
How many have you seen really driving at 40? Do you really think if the right lanes are going at speed limit no one will really have desire to go over 10 or 20? And even if the left lane is going 10 or 20 over no one will come close to your bumper and try to fly over?
I am sure there are still plenty of idiots out there who will want to fly over everyone, but if ppl would respect the speeds posted when possible traffic as a whole would flow much better.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am sure there are still plenty of idiots out there who will want to fly over everyone, but if ppl would respect the speeds posted when possible traffic as a whole would flow much better.
No doubt about that and luckily most do exactly that. My problem is that I see more fast drivers who just don't want to be behind anyone. You can go as fast as you want they will still be close to your bumper. If you read posts here though you will get an impression like a major fraction of ppl are driving under the speed limit if the roads are sufficiently clear which is not true. Some will even believe that you can see people driving 40 on 75 or 65 speed limit everyday!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
They're beautiful human beings. Don't you feel better knowing that TexasRoadLady is out policing the roads when actual police cannot be there? Lemme tell you something, you're not going to make TexasRoadLady go aaaannnnny faster than she wants to go. The speed limit says 65, bub, and that's what she's going to go.

And that's what you're going to go, too. She'll see to it. The roads are never safer than when she is policing the passing lane.
LOL Well, as long as we're forewarned!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
You have a right to do that if it is a law in the state you are driving. Make sure you know about the rules of other states as well if you happen to drive there before you call the cops.
Oh, I probably wouldn't anyway. In RL, I'm a softie when it comes to others.

I just do wish they'd drive in the right, slow lane rather than block traffic. Today was a case in point. I was driving to work. A driver on the left lane had a conga line of about 15 cars behind him, but refused to move to the right lane to let anyone pass. I waited a while. Meanwhile, thankfully, the right lane started moving nicely, and everyone on the right lane passed everyone on the left lane being held up by that one vehicle, so I got on it and moved ahead, as did the others that had made up that conga line. We all left the one vehicle on the left lane behind. As I passed the offending vehicle, I looked, and it was a man of about 40, talking on the mobile phone. (groan)

Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
How many have you seen really driving at 40? Do you really think if the right lanes are going at speed limit no one will really have desire to go over 10 or 20? And even if the left lane is going 10 or 20 over no one will come close to your bumper and try to fly over?
This. I was driving all over the place yesterday, and as a result of this thread, I was paying close attention. For the most part, the traffic on two or three lane roads was traveling at or slightly above the speed limit in the right or two right lanes. I saw two vehicles traveling a little under the speed limit during the entire day. Both of them were in the right lane and one of them was clearly having some vehicle difficulties and was working to find a safe place to pull off.

There were people in the left lane going over the speed limit. There were people weaving in and out of traffic because the people in the left lane weren't going FAST ENOUGH OVER THE LIMIT for them.

And, again, to those who are steadfastly ignoring what I'm typing, I DON'T DRIVE IN THE LEFT LANE unless I'm passing traffic. If I'm passing traffic, I'm going to get back into the right or middle lane (depending on number of lanes) as soon as I am safely past the traffic I am passing. THAT is what I mean by I won't speed up or jam myself into the traffic in the right two lanes.

I also know that you have to take a test to prove you know the very basics in order to get a license. However, when you're out on the road, and end up in court, knowing the statutes and case law is what's going to save or lose your case for you. Not "BUT THIS IS HOW THE LAW IS EVERYWHERE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I THINK IT SHOULD BE!".

And, again, the bit of the driving manual that you showed was based on a specific statute that says something very different from what you were trying, unsuccessfully to anyone who's actually done their homework, to imply it says.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I drive for a living...
If I made a movie(time lapse type) with everyone napping and holding up traffic it will take you a year to watch it. Try driving on I-4 Between Orlando and Tampa......

The only thing you're doing right now is promote an illegal way of driving. IF someone gets to court they need to assume BLAME for being there wasting tax payers money.

Also, let me point out how DUMB it is also to go to "traffic school" AFTER an accident, or driving intoxicated!!!!!

I don't think the law "should be", the LAW IS! You just didn't bother to READ IT in a long time!

Do me a favor, next time you endanger others with your "idea" of driving based on some "statue"...go ahead and ask a TEXAS cop if it is OK to sit in the left lane NOT passing on a 3+ lane road. Then come back and tell us what he/she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This. I was driving all over the place yesterday, and as a result of this thread, I was paying close attention. For the most part, the traffic on two or three lane roads was traveling at or slightly above the speed limit in the right or two right lanes. I saw two vehicles traveling a little under the speed limit during the entire day. Both of them were in the right lane and one of them was clearly having some vehicle difficulties and was working to find a safe place to pull off.

There were people in the left lane going over the speed limit. There were people weaving in and out of traffic because the people in the left lane weren't going FAST ENOUGH OVER THE LIMIT for them.

And, again, to those who are steadfastly ignoring what I'm typing, I DON'T DRIVE IN THE LEFT LANE unless I'm passing traffic. If I'm passing traffic, I'm going to get back into the right or middle lane (depending on number of lanes) as soon as I am safely past the traffic I am passing. THAT is what I mean by I won't speed up or jam myself into the traffic in the right two lanes.

I also know that you have to take a test to prove you know the very basics in order to get a license. However, when you're out on the road, and end up in court, knowing the statutes and case law is what's going to save or lose your case for you. Not "BUT THIS IS HOW THE LAW IS EVERYWHERE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I THINK IT SHOULD BE!".

And, again, the bit of the driving manual that you showed was based on a specific statute that says something very different from what you were trying, unsuccessfully to anyone who's actually done their homework, to imply it says.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
It's a specific example of a more general problem: that of not educating drivers before they get their license.

These are the same people who are generally clueless to any of the rules of the road, oblivious to drivers around them, and lack the common sense and logic to figure out, on their own, efficient driving patterns for both slow and fast drivers. They prefer chaos to order because they experience nothing but chaos when trying to form a cohesive thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive