Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Regardless of limit and speed, slower traffic keeps right. It's downright dangerous to pass on the right (due to decreased visibility and larger blind spots). This is one of my biggest pet peeves when driving.

On that note, I've heard ONE logical explaination. Semi's keep right, which wears pavement in the right lane. So, the left lane offers a smoother ride in many places. Still doesn't keep them from moving right when faster traffic comes from behind. That, I think, falls along with self entitlement. Sort of the "if they want to go fast, they can go around -- it's not my problem" mindset.

Thinking more into it, it's also easier to drive paying less attention in the left lane. It's easier to fixate on (and follow) the yellow line out of the corner of their eye.
I think that's what it is. A feeling of entitlement that they can block or nearly-stop traffic if they want to, because they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Here in Florida, I have noticed that they are planning to make a left hand turn, 3 miles down the road, and have to be ready...they are afraid to merge. Drives me crazy.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't know if it's only in the city where I live, or if this problem is found everywhere, but I've reached the end of my rope with people who drive well below the speed limit driving on the LEFT side of the road. WHY why why????? What's their problem? Do they not realize that if you're moving slowly you need to be on the side of the road? How did they get their license? Did they not have to take a test? They block traffic for miles, and think nothing of it.

What could possibly be going through their minds when they do this? WHY do they do this?

I also find a huge problem with people who forget to make a turn, and so slow down and block all traffic with their left turning signal on, to get on the left lane. For Pete's sake, keep going and THEN find a way to go back to your turn! Don't block the road!

Maybe I'm the only person frustrated by these things. I wonder if there are bumper stickers out there that say, "If you're a slow moving vehicle, STAY ON THE RIGHT!" Or, "If you missed your turn, DO NOT BLOCK EVERYONE BEHIND YOU BY STOPPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO LET YOU INTO THE LEFT LANE!"

Can you tell I'm frustrated?
Have you considered switching to decaf?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think it has been a year or two since I've seen a slow moving car in the left lane impeding normally-moving traffic. It is extremely rare. Maybe one driver out of several thousand. Probably a smaller number than the number who are driving impaired. When someone is in such a tiny minority, what is the point of asking why they do it?
well i expereince it every other day or so easily. But regardless, how many perpetrators do you need for it to impede your quality of life?
You only need one serial rapist to make a town scary after dark.
One slow driver can screw up a lot of peoples day.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,193 times
Another pet peeve is the idiot that slows down, and you have no idea why so you don't pass in case there is an accident or animal on the road. finally after a mile or two they turn on their blinkers and SLoOOOOOOOOOWLY turn at another road.

If they had turned on ther blinks before i could have known what was up and passed them with no inconvenience to myself or others.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times

Driving Lamborghini on Autobahn at 305kph=189mph - YouTube Not Here!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,246 times
Why do slow moving vehicles drive on the left side of the road?

Better XM reception.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Here in Florida, I have noticed that they are planning to make a left hand turn, 3 miles down the road, and have to be ready...they are afraid to merge. Drives me crazy.
I hate it when they do that... Left turns on the highway. It just piles the slow drivers into another dangerous conga line. Oh, and they also break abruptly for no reason at all.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
It satisfies their need to control others. Often, they are side by side with a vehicle in the right lane and there's no way to pass. They know you want to pass, but, you can't as long as they have this control over you. Also, when a driver signals their plan to park where someone is getting ready to back out, the driver already in the parking space will take forever to actually move to vacate the spot. They are controlling people and enjoy that you had to wait until they were good and ready to move. Sometimes, drivers on the right side will pass, then immediately go back to the right side and slow way down to make a turn to the right. Idiotic drivers are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive