Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times

Advertisements

I face a dilemma: I like both of these cars but can only afford one. So, as is typical, I thought I would solicit the opinions of people I know, as well as total strangers. At which point I will probably ignore everyone and flip a coin, but at least I will have done my due dilligence, right?

Anyway, the CX-5 Grand Touring looks sweet, but I'm worried about getting tires for those 19 inch rims, might have to switch them out. The Forester XT Premium wouldn't have leather or auto climate, but it would have a much more airy interior, as well as Subaru all-wheel-drive. Unfortunately, it would have lesser fuel economy, and will prefer premium gas...but it'll also have 250 HP

2014 Mazda CX-5 with 2.5-liter Skyactiv engine Quick Spin

2014 Subaru Forester First Drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

202 posts, read 532,198 times
Subaru.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
The Subaru's AWD system is proven but unless you need this feature, I think this is a toss-up and would come down to your test drive. I'm thinking you'll go with the POWER!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Hard choice. The Subaru has the power but is hideous in comparison to the CX5.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Power = Good. But too much power = lots of gas...and I commute 100 miles a day. That's why the Subaru is giving me a little pause. That and the fact that their option packaging is horrible, while Mazda's SkyActiv engines already have a reputation for exceeding their EPA ratings consistently.

I live in the Northeast, so a good AWD system can be fairly useful at times. Still, the furthest off-road either will get is someone's lawn most likely...I doubt I'd even manage to find a dirt road.

I am of the firm opinion that Subaru's AWD system is truly "excellent" and probably one of the best around. However, most people wouldn't notice, because other people's AWD systems are "good enough" in most circumstances. Mazda's supposedly has some torque vectoring going from side to side according to rumors I've read.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
If I had a 100-mile commute I'd reluctantly go with the CX-5 if those were the two choices I'd narrowed it down to.

I've had 2 AWD Mazdas of varying vintage (323 GTX, Speed6) and found them both more than adequate for on-road snow duty. The Speed6 wore winter tires in winter, and so equipped it was extremely sure-footed in snow.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Mazda just because of fond memories of my old Mazda3. I'll have to find some different rims at some point though.

It's hard to say no to 250 HP though.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM

219 posts, read 658,109 times
Haha, coming over from the .org thread for a less biased opinion? Psycho-analyzing all your previous posts, it seems like deep down inside you have already decided on the Mazda =p I've seen many people like you on subaruforester.org in the past. In the end you'll get the Mazda but you'll keep posting on the Forester threads anyway, making everyone feel weird =p

I would choose the Subie for its AWD and styling. I can't stand the happy face Mazdas. That alone is my deal breaker.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Actually, trying to get away from some of the less-sane people and get a slightly more balanced opinion. After all, that particular forum is going to have a SLIGHT bias in a certain direction, don't you think?

Subaru could have made my life a LOT easier if they had just put shift paddles on the 2.5L motor. That's a deal-breaker for me. Handling would probably be pretty close, put on 18 inch rims and that would sharpen things just a bit, and fuel economy would be excellent, and I could have probably driven home with the Adaptive Cruise installed too. But no, they had to leave the paddles off and plop a "low" mode onto the thing, eliminating it from contention for me.

Given the reaction, Subaru may rue the day they dropped those paddles in the U.S. I bet Joe Spitz isn't the only dealer pushing back on that.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
You can get the Mazda CX-5 with AWD and its a lot better looking (the grill doesn't have the exaggerated "smile" of the Mazda3). They're both good cars - spend some extended time with them - you'll figure out whats best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive