Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 848 times

Advertisements

Mine falls off at least once a year and each time I was meticulous in the prep. and waited 2 days before installing the mirror. The glass was warm,not hot or cold. It's on a 2001 Dodge Dakota and the only thing I can attribute it to is the curvature of the windshield. Even had a pro glass shop attach it one time. Make sure that the ball socket mechanism of the mirror is lubricated so that minimal force is needed to move the mirror for different drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Here's a couple of more tips I've learned from experience: Put a small piece of masking on the "outside" of the windshield before you start. That way when your windshield is squeaky clean, you can tell exactly where to put the bracket. Last tip is to be sure and not mount the bracket upside down.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:38 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
The last time I had this happen I tried the crap from the auto parts shop. No such luck. So next step was to get the windshield replaced and let that tech deal with it. I had a crack in windshield, perfect excuse to let someone else fix it.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 825 times
last time my car met accident, and i my rear view mirror fallen down. I was order Loctite 37438 Rear View Mirror Adhesive Kit at online and used it. It gives great result. @https://rearviewmirrorglue.com/

Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
does anyone know of a good product for gluing a rear view mirror back on to a windshield. we have tried 6 different products and everyone of them the mirror fell off within a few minutes to an hour
You gotta use the special stuff ina bottle at a auto store. Nothing else will work correctly.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Funny this is so old I could not remember which car that was. Finally remembered. Obviously we followed the directions We gave up and took it in to have it done, it fell off within a week. Took it back - fell off again. After one more try, we decided it was not worth the time to keep taking the car back. Eventually the car incurred a major malfunction and went to the scrap yard with the mirror laying on the seat.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:07 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Funny this is so old I could not remember which car that was. Finally remembered. Obviously we followed the directions We gave up and took it in to have it done, it fell off within a week. Took it back - fell off again. After one more try, we decided it was not worth the time to keep taking the car back. Eventually the car incurred a major malfunction and went to the scrap yard with the mirror laying on the seat.
So the glue actually worked as the manufacturer intended. It was a glue contrived to gently force you into recycling the car, thereby creating more work in a depressed occupational area with the by-product of purchasing another vehicle to keep the economy stimulated.

Bravo for your patriotism and your investment in the American Way!!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
We did follow the directions.

The problem with leaving it overnight is it will be about 8 degrees in the car unless we leave it running (although some of our earlier attempts was when it was warmer). INside the garage will nto make much difference since it is only about 1-2 degrees warmer in there. The tape idea is a great idea.

Maybe we need to wait until spring.
Do you have a space heater you could run in the Garage? I know its a PIA but it would be really annoying to me.

And, the site prep is key...Clean, clean clean before you begin...

I might take it to a glass shop and pay them $10-$20 for it and be done.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
So the glue actually worked as the manufacturer intended. It was a glue contrived to gently force you into recycling the car, thereby creating more work in a depressed occupational area with the by-product of purchasing another vehicle to keep the economy stimulated.

Bravo for your patriotism and your investment in the American Way!!
Well it was the transmission that force us to recycle the car. The middor not sticking could have forced it though had we backed into something we could not see due t the mirror laying on the seat.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Well it was the transmission that force us to recycle the car. The middor not sticking could have forced it though had we backed into something we could not see due t the mirror laying on the seat.
Oh well, I'm seldom right anyway, just ask my wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive