Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM

71 posts, read 181,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Who the hell cares? I could care less what others drive, and they shouldn't be concerned what I drive. If I'm in hock for my cars, that would be my business, and if they are all paid for, that would be my business as well. Your perceptions of other car owners are just that. YOUR perception. You have no clue what their particular circumstances are.

I agree ShelbyGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScab View Post
What are you talking about? No one is being self concious of anything. I just started a thread based on assumptions alot of people make and the way certain people think. It's fine if you want to be ignorant to the fact that people who drive luxury cars are looked down on by others who make less or more than them. I was never even speaking of myself personally. I'm just speaking of not just what i saw on a random internet forum (we all know you can't take this stuff seriously), but rather what i've noticed in office environments and conversing with numerous amounts of people. Others feel the same way as i do. It's a known fact some people try to keep quiet and hide the fact from their colleagues or bosses that they are driving a certain car because they don't want to be perceived as "flashy" or being paid too much. Some feel "hey, it's not good for your boss to know you're driving around in a BMW when he's driving a honda accord." All i'm saying is what difference does it make? Perceived prestige, financial wealth and success has absolutely nothing to do with the car you drive in my book. But some feel that everyone who buys certain cars are just trying to keep up with others as a status symbol.
Exactly. What difference does it make to both the "perceiver" and the "perceived" (for lack of a better word)?
If a tree falls in the forest ...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Who the hell cares? I could care less what others drive, and they shouldn't be concerned what I drive. If I'm in hock for my cars, that would be my business, and if they are all paid for, that would be my business as well. Your perceptions of other car owners are just that. YOUR perception. You have no clue what their particular circumstances are.
I agree, but apparently people in this area don't. I near DC, and you'd be amazed at the number of people I've seen that judge others based on their car alone. I know a guy who wouldn't be caught in anything other than a Benz and didn't understand how people could drive other cars. On the flip side of that, I know people who drive Toyotas and will ***** and **** at people who drive "expensive" cars. Very annoying.

In my own case, we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Toyota Camry. You wouldn't believe how much crap I got when I bought the Jeep, from family and friends both! "Why are you buying an SUV, they're gas hogs..etc...etc...etc". "Why are you spending so much money...etc...etc...etc". "How can you afford that?!...etc...etc...etc". The majority of our friends and family don't care, and that's how it should be, but there are always people who are gonna hate, so to speak. We rented a Benz on vacation last year, I got a wicked deal on it and figured, why not? Lord, when people found out about it from pictures, you'd have thought I murdered the Pope.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
If someone is not to care about your purchase then why are you to care about their opinion? Do you really need positive comments from random, unknown internet posters to help justify something you obviously question?

People who spend beyond their means are financially retarded. How can this be denied? Do I care? Not at all. Would I ever listen to this person's thoughts on finance? Absolutely not. But that shouldn't matter to you. However, when you live in the US and look around at the overwhelming amount of this population that is debt ridden and just running the rat race... you have to wonder how many bad decisions it takes for someone to realize the error of their ways.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Tsk tsk. Ignorant indeed.

Oh, I don't know why I think you drive an $80k car... Oh wait. It's because you just said it yourself.

You seem to be one of those people that wants others to think they have more money or status than they actually do. So you bought a used version for the status, but without having to pay the big money.

So, I guess your post was either bragging about your frugality, or that you have an A8. The better choice would have been not to post this "topic" at all, because you've accomplished neither frugality nor wowed anyone by owning an A8.
Reading is beneficial for you. From my original post:

Yes, some who are uninformed and ignorant may look and say, "why is that guy driving around in an $80,000 car!"

Based on your statements, you seem to fall into the category of those who are uninformed and ignorant.

Me personally, I am the total opposite of your statements above. I could care less of what others think of me or how much money i have or don't have. I bought the car i have because i wanted it for my enjoyment and i feel as if it drives better than some brand new cars i could have bought for the same price, not as a status symbol. At the end of the day, it is just a car, will rust like anything else and there is no need to get attached to any material thing. I also have a 12 year old Toyota Echo that I have no problems with choosing to drive daily and don't worry about how "rich" or "poor" I am perceived. The guy who makes $100,000 a year makes nothing compared to the guy who makes $1,000,000 a year and he makes nothing compared to the guy who makes $10,000,000 a year and he makes nothing compared to the guy who makes $100,000,000 a year etc.

So your assumptions about me are way off.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
If someone is not to care about your purchase then why are you to care about their opinion? Do you really need positive comments from random, unknown internet posters to help justify something you obviously question?

If you purchased a car at a value exceeding your annual net income then you are financially retarded. Do I care? Not at all. Would I ever listen to this person's thoughts on finance? Absolutely not. But that shouldn't matter to you. Sadly, the OP takes on the mindset of most of his/her other rat racing, debt-ridden, fellow American citizens.

Great job Lux, you supported the title of this thread:

False Perception of Luxury Car Drivers

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
The general point of the OP's post is something I can commiserate with. People spend their money on whatever they want to spend it on. For some people watching their portfolio grow means more to them then anything else. Some people like vacations, some people like sports and attend dozens of games and some people like cars. As long as the person isn't crying poor mouth to me then I don't care what anyone spends their money on.

Cars do seem to rile some people up though. Probably because it is about as overt a display as anything people buy and most people have a decent idea how much they cost. People might not recognize that someone is wearing $800 shoes, but people will recognize a BMW, Lexus, etc. for what it is. The fact that cars are so recognizable allows people to make judgements that are not necessarily appropriate.

My brother and my mother are such people. My mom used to chastise me over owning "expensive" cars. When I had my A6 there were comments about "why do you need such an expensive car". It was not as if I couldn't afford it, she just didn't see the point. When I bought a new Malibu for my work commute and hauling the kids around (which cost the same as my old A6 had) to my mother that was a sign I had gotten more "sensible". My brother, who is rather wealthy and also incredibly frugal sees no point in owning a nice car. He splurged 7 years ago and bought a new Dodge Magnum R/T because he always loved V8 station wagons. Of course he paid cash. In his mind though, his $45k purchase of a Dodge was reasonable but I "threw my money away" on a M3 (who needs a BMW?) that cost $15k less then his Magnum.

Moral of the story? Spend your money however you want and don't care what peoples opinions are.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
I think there's an old thread on this already: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l-car-you.html

If you truly don't care about what others think about your car choice, is there really an issue?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScab View Post
Great job Lux, you supported the title of this thread:

False Perception of Luxury Car Drivers
I have edited my post to be more clear. However you obviously care enough about people's opinions to start this tirade. If you truly thought it was a misconception then why not leave it be? Let the ignorant be ignorant, as long as you are happy then whats to fret about?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic1 View Post
I guess it depends where you are. I'm in So Cal where luxury cars ARE normal. The 3 Series is more common then a Camry....
LOL...luxury cars are the norm here, too.
We say the 3 series Beemer is the Accord of the area.
Basic reliable car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive