Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's not what I meant. I'm talking about the guys (mostly younger dudes) who live and breath car-related crap and have way too much ego tied up into it. I used to be that guy back in my early 20's. Some guys just never grow out of it I guess.

I didn't say there weren't any car guys who keep it tasteful and low key, just that they're far and few between. Probably Cars and Coffee type meets attract a decent amount of them. I've never been to one. I've also grown to dislike the whole car modification culture, which car clubs cater heavily to. I like vintage and modern high performance stuff that's kept super clean and pretty close to factory original. Those are the ones that are always worth the big bucks 30-40 years later. A guy in a pristine 88 M3 or something like that always gets my attention. That's a guy with taste.
One of the few Coffee and Cars I went to. There were nice cars but it was almost like a circlejerk. I'm sorry I can admire a car but I won't participate in a wankfest. Then they kept badgering me about my M5. I was just going to see the rides but not necessarily give people a full rundown of its history. I would just park my car away from the others and enjoy a nice coffee and a light breakfast. That's actually a bad idea. Random people would figure out that I owned the car and ask me in the middle of my breakfast to show them around. How rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's not what I meant. I'm talking about the guys (mostly younger dudes) who live and breath car-related crap and have way too much ego tied up into it. I used to be that guy back in my early 20's. Some guys just never grow out of it I guess.

I didn't say there weren't any car guys who keep it tasteful and low key, just that they're far and few between. Probably Cars and Coffee type meets attract a decent amount of them. I've never been to one. I've also grown to dislike the whole car modification culture, which car clubs cater heavily to. I like vintage and modern high performance stuff that's kept super clean and pretty close to factory original. Those are the ones that are always worth the big bucks 30-40 years later. A guy in a pristine 88 M3 or something like that always gets my attention. That's a guy with taste.
I'm with you on this. Have been into cars, mainly old mustangs for years with interest in originality. It could have been any car that got me started, but it just so happens my first one was a '68 coupe in the 80's. I've been a member of local car clubs, but could never seem to mesh with most of them as they always had newer models and were interested in modifying and drag racing on the streets. Only at the national club level was I able to make friends with common interests. Even then, huge separation of interests and lots of jealousy issues. The "pecking order" thing always seemed to be the elephant in the room.

I've been to a few cars and coffee events in my area. I like looking at all the different types of cars, but there are definitely some egos floating around. I can appreciate any older well kept original or even a tastefully modified car. Just depends on what it is. I never expect to get any attention with the M5, usually only take it if a few of the other local M5 guys want to get together. Every single one of the local M5 guys have been really nice and easy to get along with. Some of them are friends that I keep in touch with now, I've wrenched with a couple at their houses too, which is lots of fun.

In regards to the original topic, I probably had a false impression of luxury car owners until I had one myself (I guess an e39 M5 is/was a luxury car.) It's hard to know what you're missing until you've tried it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive