U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,544,380 times

Advertisements

I've just learned about this today but I am still a bit unsure of why the dry battery is better than the wet, tho it is more expensive. Can you guys give me any info on this~? Is a dry battery more powerful than a wet battery~?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM

5,565 posts, read 23,184,410 times
The sealed gel batteries have a very large advantage for sports cars and extreme off road use... the do not leak fluid under high gee and high angle conditions. Electrical delivery is not much different.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM

957 posts, read 2,241,411 times
Your question is somewhat vague and imprecise....but I'll take a stab at it.

Until the last few years, virtually all car batteries have been of a Lead Acid design.

That is some form of Lead plates and a electrolyte fluid of dilute Sulphuric acid.

Now we come to the last few years, and Lithium batteries have become somewhat available.

The only manufacturer that I know of that uses Lithium batteries to any extent is Porsche.

Understand though, conventional batteries can be purchased for moderate prices, (think $50.00-$200.00).

Consider that Porsche sells it's Lithium batteries for approx $1,700.00!

So you ask, what is the benefit.

WEIGHT

A conventional battery will weigh in at somewhere around 35 pounds, the Lithium...approx 13 pounds!

That is a weight reduction of approx. 22 pounds.

Now, we come to the question....Is it worth it....To the hard corp Porsche enthusiast....not just yes...but HELL yes.

Be aware that the quoted $1,700.00 figure might actually be a "low ball" number, as I have seen advertisements for Lithium batteries as high as nearly 3K.

After all this typing, I hope that this was actually our question. lol

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The sealed gel batteries have a very large advantage for sports cars and extreme off road use... the do not leak fluid under high gee and high angle conditions. Electrical delivery is not much different.
Thanks for your info. They make them for all cars now and not just sport and off road vehicles like jeeps. They have one available for my GM car that I was told earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Your question is somewhat vague and imprecise....but I'll take a stab at it.

Until the last few years, virtually all car batteries have been of a Lead Acid design.

That is some form of Lead plates and a electrolyte fluid of dilute Sulphuric acid.

Now we come to the last few years, and Lithium batteries have become somewhat available.

The only manufacturer that I know of that uses Lithium batteries to any extent is Porsche.

Understand though, conventional batteries can be purchased for moderate prices, (think $50.00-$200.00).

Consider that Porsche sells it's Lithium batteries for approx $1,700.00!

So you ask, what is the benefit.

WEIGHT

A conventional battery will weigh in at somewhere around 35 pounds, the Lithium...approx 13 pounds!

That is a weight reduction of approx. 22 pounds.

Now, we come to the question....Is it worth it....To the hard corp Porsche enthusiast....not just yes...but HELL yes.

Be aware that the quoted $1,700.00 figure might actually be a "low ball" number, as I have seen advertisements for Lithium batteries as high as nearly 3K.

After all this typing, I hope that this was actually our question. lol
Thanks also for your info. I really didn't know enough to ask the proper question, but you sure stabbed it correctly and it makes sense. A friend of mine has a BMW 2 seater car. I only found out recently that she needs an oil change which is $100~! I was shocked that it is so expensive and she has to use a special oil in it as well as a special gasoline. I am sure it is the same for the battery. She complains a lot about it, but loves it so much she doesn't want to get rid of it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

15,211 posts, read 21,314,555 times
$100 oil change? New Mercedes models have 60 000 miles oil changes, with drain plug locked and key at dealer only. $1200. Yes, it is $1200.00

Anyhow. There is no such thing as automotive dry battery. There are solid batteries, like one I have in my rain sensor, that last years. Or, like basic AAA batteries and such. No electrolyte.

In automotive industry, new fashion is to put batteries into the trunk or even underneath the rear seat. This poses a major risk of gas invasion into the passenger compartment and collection of it in the trunk, with possible toxic effect and explosion.
Come about AGM battery. Advanced glass mat battery. Battery is not completely dry. It still has electrolyte, but it is soaked into glass mat, rendering battery non-spillable and producing little to none hydrogen. One of the most common batteries on the market is Optima. They come in 3 colors - red, blue, and yellow. Red being for cranking use, as in starting, yellow being for storage use, as back up deep capacity, and blue used for marine applications. Optimas have same or better specs as OEM lead acid battery and are more cost efficient, almost twice less expensive.
Gel battery is same principle - electrolyte is saturated into a gel type medium.
Question is - do you NEED dry, ok, AGM or gel battery? Say, I have battery in the trunk and it's hybrid vehicle, so battery is nothing but a long term back up power storage for electronics. I must have one, though folks used lead acid ones without any trouble. So, why do you NEED non spillable battery?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

6,256 posts, read 14,976,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

Lithium batteries use electrolyte as well. They are sealed, and their cost is higher because they deliver a higher charge output from a smaller amount of battery material, while being lighter to boot.

Most people have (and should still use) a regular lead acid battery. All the SLA (sealed lead acid) AGM (absorbed glass mat) and even the new lithium batteries are not nearly as resistant to heat as their contemporary batteries, and when the battery is mounted in the engine bay, that heat takes its toll pretty quickly.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM

10,838 posts, read 19,793,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I was shocked that it is so expensive and she has to use a special oil in it as well as a special gasoline.
specia

I wasn't aware that there was special gasoline for a BMW, where does one have to go to find this?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
$100 oil change? New Mercedes models have 60 000 miles oil changes, with drain plug locked and key at dealer only. $1200. Yes, it is $1200.00
Whoa,,,,$1,200 Freaking Bucks~? I've never bought a foreign car in my life and always bought American cars, tho I know most have foreign parts now. What I mean is, I've always bought GMC cars. I've always heard that foreign cars are....oh sorry about getting off topic.

Quote:
Anyhow. There is no such thing as automotive dry battery. There are solid batteries, like one I have in my rain sensor, that last years. Or, like basic AAA batteries and such. No electrolyte.
What is a rain sensor~?

Quote:
In automotive industry, new fashion is to put batteries into the trunk or even underneath the rear seat. This poses a major risk of gas invasion into the passenger compartment and collection of it in the trunk, with possible toxic effect and explosion.
That is what the manager told me this afternoon at the car place I take it to: put batteries into the trunk or even underneath the rear seat. I've never heard of such a thing, I told him. What about the extra room in the hood of the car, it has an empty space, right?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,745,756 times
Lithum batteries require speical charging cautions as they have a habit of causing fires if something goe wrong. used them for some years and would never chrge one unattended.Perhpas the Op means gel cells which are quite different and used in high vibration needs like off road.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM

33,414 posts, read 30,929,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

actually there are dry cell automotive batteries. check out this site;

Odyssey Drycell Car Batteries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive