Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,156,200 times

Advertisements

So, I am moving to Denver and realize I am going to be driving all over the place and of course up to the mountains to snowboard. Maybe something that could tow maybe 1000lbs of trailer behind it.

I believe that a fwd wagon with snow tires would be better off than a SUV with all seasons. Especially considering the gas savings. My 95 Jimmy does about 17/21.

Anyways , any suggestions? I was thinking like an accord wagon or a jetta tdi wagon?

Ideas?

Thanks!

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,019,201 times
Maybe an older Volvo wagon? The 240 is RWD but with good snow tires it should be okay in the snow. In a bind, put on tire chains.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Subaru Impreza WRX wagon. I dont know if you can get any for 10K (yet), but you can find higher mileage ones for 12-15K.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,287,539 times
They don't make the impreza subaru wagon anymore - too bad. Only the outback. I lament the companies don't make a small front or 4WD wheel drive station wagon anymore Everything is these "crossovers"... what is up with that.
For the record, the regular front wheel drive VWs we always drove were very good in the snow.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
They don't make the impreza subaru wagon anymore - too bad. Only the outback. I lament the companies don't make a small front or 4WD wheel drive station wagon anymore Everything is these "crossovers"... what is up with that.
For the record, the regular front wheel drive VWs we always drove were very good in the snow.
Im not up on my Mazda's, but dont they offer the Protege 5 anymore?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,368,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
So, I am moving to Denver and realize I am going to be driving all over the place and of course up to the mountains to snowboard. Maybe something that could tow maybe 1000lbs of trailer behind it.

I believe that a fwd wagon with snow tires would be better off than a SUV with all seasons. Especially considering the gas savings. My 95 Jimmy does about 17/21.

Anyways , any suggestions? I was thinking like an accord wagon or a jetta tdi wagon?

Ideas?

Thanks!

James
Subaru Outback w/ V6

Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im not up on my Mazda's, but dont they offer the Protege 5 anymore?
They replaced it with the Mazda 3, which is not good for towing anything.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,928,448 times
and where, greenmachine ... have you ever seen a Subie with a "V-6"?

The 3.0 H-6 that Subaru has is gonna' eat a lot of gas compared to the 30 mpg desired by the OP. Even the 2.2 4 cylinder of the 90's had to be gently driven to get 30 on the road ... my wife does that, but cruises around 60 mph now on the county roads around here.

Also, most of the high fuel economy cars today aren't set up to tow a trailer. The Volvo 2.4 4 cylinder wagons will tow the load, but are a bit anemic if heading to the mountains (even without the trailer) and most certainly aren't 30 mpg cars.

OP, you're going to have to compromise somewhere in your requirements .... either fuel economy, or towing ability ....

Old 10-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
and where, greenmachine ... have you ever seen a Subie with a "V-6"?

The 3.0 H-6 that Subaru has is gonna' eat a lot of gas compared to the 30 mpg desired by the OP. Even the 2.2 4 cylinder of the 90's had to be gently driven to get 30 on the road ... my wife does that, but cruises around 60 mph now on the county roads around here.

Also, most of the high fuel economy cars today aren't set up to tow a trailer. The Volvo 2.4 4 cylinder wagons will tow the load, but are a bit anemic if heading to the mountains (even without the trailer) and most certainly aren't 30 mpg cars.

OP, you're going to have to compromise somewhere in your requirements .... either fuel economy, or towing ability ....
The Subaru Outback comes with a 4 banger or a V6.

I agree. If you want to get over 30mpg, you will need a 2WD wagon with a 4cylinder engine, something like the Pontiac Vibe or the Toyota Matrix. But you won't be able to tow anything in the mountains with those cars.

If you want to tow anything, you probably need a V6 engine like the Subaru Outback. You might find one used for around $14K -- maybe $10K if you look hard and get an old one. If you are planning to go into the snow and mountains, you may need the AWD on the Subaru.

Greenie

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,928,448 times
greenie ... NO, the Subaru does not and never has come with a "V-6".

They have a flat configuration 3.0 liter 6 cylinder motor ... which gets, at best, low 20's for fuel economy.

Subie doesn't sell a lot of these 6's compared to the 4 cylinder powered versions because (IMO) the improved performance over the 4 cylinder motors isn't justified by initial or operating costs, and the motor only comes in top of the line standard optioned vehicles ... which makes it all the more expensive to buy.

Once you've reached that price point, there's a lot of other AWD vehicles that come into play in the marketplace. Subie's charms lie in a reasonably priced AWD car package that is nice when you need a sturdy, capable, and durable AWD package. At the higher price points, Volvo's and Audi's (among others) start looking a lot more attractive and comfortable.

Having had the use of a XT6 Subie for a year (a friend stationed overseas left it with me), I'd say it was a miserable package for what the Subie was all about. The power was so over-the-top compared to the traction and handling that it was a very difficult car to drive in the adverse conditions one would want to use it for. Even on dry pavement, the power came in so hard and fast that it was a challenge not to spin the wheels .... and the fuel economy wasn't what you'd call "economy", mid teens at best with careful driving.

If you don't need the bad weather/roads AWD package of a Subie, then there's a lot of better choices in the marketplace for economy, performance, durability, comfort, convenience at their price point. The OP here, however, is not going to achieve all the desired combination with today's current vehicles .... I know of a couple from the 70-80's that would do it, but they don't make them anymore and most of those that were sold are now off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive