Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 AM

73 posts, read 167,470 times

Advertisements

O.k. im gonna try to make this short and to the point because im kinda pissed at the moment right now and need some advice. My wife was driving our car and was rear-ended other driver 100% at fault....cool right....NOT...As of right now my bumper is hanging halfway off and so is my muffler met up with the other drivers adjuster to get estimate. My rear bumper had minor minor minor damage to it since someone scraped it in a shopping mall parking lot NO DAMAGE TO BUMPER other than scrapes and some paint that came off no dents, no nothing and above the bumper there is a small dent from the same incident this is all on the drivers side quarter panel and like i said no damage to our reat bumper other than the scrape and paint that same off. So the Statefarm agent takes pictures and says that they'll do a estimate and give a call back the next day which was today. They say the estimate is 787$ to replace the bumper and that they are not paying for that because from the previous damage the bumper needed to be replaced anyways and that they didnt see anything wrong with the muffler. Im like ******* are u serious??? i have dual exhaust the left side is attached and the right side scrapes the freaking ground and u dont see anything wrong with it? I tried explaining that my bumper was attached muffler attached all before your client rear-ended me yea my bumper had some scratches which was fine it was still intact but now that your client ran into the back of my car my bumper is barely hanging on and my muffler is the same. So they suggest i go ahead and start the repair process on my own 787$ out my own pocket and if the bodyshop finds more damage and see's that the new damage made the bumper and muffler hang off then they'll come out and inspect it again. Doesnt make any sense at all i feel that they using the scrapes on my bumper from before the accident a reason to not pay to fix my car. Im not worried about the small dent in the quarter panel i dont want u to fix that your client didnt do that but I DO WANT my freaking bumper and muffler repaired. Sorry to ramble on i might have left out some stuff but i seriously need some advice on what to do if anyone has any advice. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Call your insurance company, and start the process with them. Let them deal with state farm. That's what you pay them for. Plus I can pretty much guarantee that your auto policy states "you are required to report all damage to your vehicle"(or something similar to that) That would include accidents where you are not at fault

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Yeah, you're supposed to report it to your insurance company. And your insurance company takes care of everything for you. I got rear ended while at a stop light and a claims adjuster from my insurance company came out to get an estimate of damages. They also handled everything with the person who rear ended me's insurance company. You shouldn't have to speak a word to the other person's insurance company.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
How did they know about the previous "damage"? What did you tell them?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
How did they know about the previous "damage"? What did you tell them?
Any existing damage is always evident to any qualified appraiser. He probably didn't have to tell them anything.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Any existing damage is always evident to any qualified appraiser. He probably didn't have to tell them anything.
However they also will ask if there was any previous damage. If the bumper was demolished in the accident, who's to say that the adjacent scrapes weren't a result of that? Sometimes it is obvious other times it is not. However when they ask the question the answer goes down as either yes or no, its in their best interest to ignore the extent of it.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
However they also will ask if there was any previous damage. If the bumper was demolished in the accident, who's to say that the adjacent scrapes weren't a result of that?
Indeed, however if the left side of the bumper is dmged, and some one hits the right side. Why would insurance pay to replace the entire bumper? They only owe for the dmg that their driver created.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Indeed, however if the left side of the bumper is dmged, and some one hits the right side. Why would insurance pay to replace the entire bumper? They only owe for the dmg that their driver created.
It's probably cheaper to replace the whole bumper than custom fabricate a partially damaged one.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Generally if the bumper is hanging off the car following a collision this is a good indicator that the tabs that support the bumper cover have been damaged in that collision. This would mean the entire bumper cover (at a minimum) needs to be replaced and painted to match.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Generally if the bumper is hanging off the car following a collision this is a good indicator that the tabs that support the bumper cover have been damaged in that collision. This would mean the entire bumper cover (at a minimum) needs to be replaced and painted to match.
I am not saying its right, but you have to understand how an insurance company thinks. "pay what we owe" If the bumper had previous damage, they do not owe to repair that previous damage, so they will dedudcate that cost from what they pay out. The company ovbiously owes him something, but if they are giving him the run around, the best thing to do is what he should have done in the 1st place, Call his insurance and let them deal with State Farm

Last edited by Me007gold; 02-14-2013 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: fixed spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive