Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
So, here's the situation.
I needed a car. I went to a dealership, and the guy sells me a car for just over $3000. Half then, a couple payments in between, and the rest now.

The car sucks. Big time. I've poured $500 in it to make it operational in the last 3 months...and the car is now sitting outside because it needs some type of work or the other. Probably another $500 of work.

Obviously I don't have that type of cash. I've paid the guy exactly half of what I owe him, and the rest I'm supposed to have paid in a couple days. I'll have the means...but I'm not paying $1500+$500 just to have a piece of junk....

So, what to do? As far as I'm concerned, he can have the car back. He got me for over $1.5k, and he gets his car back...so I guess he wins...can I tell him to come and get it?

The car itself isn't worth $3000...it's an 89 Bronco with 400,000 miles on it. I've paid $1650, and I'm supposed to pay something like that again....

So, what to do? Advice?

(Side rant...this is why people don't give a crap about other people. Everyone's just looking to screw the next guy over....it's absolute garbage. I don't know what to tell people like this...I mean, why? Just to make a quick buck? Money won't help you...trust me on that one. You can have all the money in the world, you can be well off...and it's nothing. But, whatever...I guess if you've never been there, it's hard to know what I'm talking about.)
WOW! the answer to this question is very simple ! Stop paying for the piece of junk andTake your money and buy another car, If they decide to take you to courtthen you can produce the reciepts for all of your repairs. Then you can tell them if the car was worth the money then he should be able to sell it for more now that you have improved the vehicle. chances are he will not take you to court, it's worth it to see . Let him repo the car rather then dump more into a lost cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
WOW! the answer to this question is very simple ! Stop paying for the piece of junk andTake your money and buy another car, If they decide to take you to courtthen you can produce the reciepts for all of your repairs. Then you can tell them if the car was worth the money then he should be able to sell it for more now that you have improved the vehicle. chances are he will not take you to court, it's worth it to see . Let him repo the car rather then dump more into a lost cause.
That will accomplish nothing besides trashing OP's credit, IF the BHPH lot is reporting to the credit agencies. No court will recognize any of those arguments as valid given the circumstances, any more than anyone in this thread does.

OP-you made a terrible decision, for whatever reasons you did it. You hugely overpaid; a 400K Bronco is barely worth scrap value. You assumed a lot about the condition of the vehicle. You failed to recognize that any high-mile (usually considered to be 100k or more) vehicle is going to require some work. Maybe you had no one to teach you how to buy a vehicle. I made some bad decisions early on because of this. But all the info you needed is out there, and it's unfortunate you didn't avail yourself of it. Had you posted here before you bought, everyone would have told you not to buy.

I know there is an agency that can explain your options; maybe the state attorney general's office? I'd contact them. I'd also look at my credit report and find out if the "dealer" is reporting to them. If not, an option may be to give the truck back, and consider the lost money an education. You probably don't have the title so you can't really do anything to generate money form selling or scrapping the truck. Before you do anything like that, you need to know your position and how your actions will affect you.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
$3k for an 89 Bronco with 400k miles... Wow.

So you're the one buying up all the prime desert real estate...

Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Caveat emptor

You bought it, you own it, pay it off and put the lesson behind you.

You will need to fix it , then you can sell it, trade it in (cash for clunkers)

The "dealer" is not responsible for your repairs you are.
Even if you totaled it or if it burned to the ground you still need to pay it off.

Why didn't you at least get a 30 or 60 day warranty?

As is....

Did you take it for a test drive?
so you knew it was not "perfect"

Did you take it to a mechanic to look over first?
No,
well ,maybe next time.

something something and his money , something, something.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Why didn't you at least get a 30 or 60 day warranty?

Because its a 24 year old Bronco with 400k miles on it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
1. If purchased from a dealer, then you probably signed papers agreeing that that vehicle was "as is" - NO warranty. Read papers before you sign them! You also agreed to pay for the vehicle. If the dealer were to take you to court to make you pay, the judge would see the papers you signed and ask you if you signed them. Then would point out to you that you agreed to those terms. Read the paperwork you signed!

2. I like to say everybody pays the same for a car. Buy a new one and there are no maintenance problems, but you have car payments. Buy a used car, then you have regular maintenance expenses. You should expect that and budget for it. On average I think I pay about $1500.00 a year for used car maintenance. Or $125 a month. But something will go out suddenly and you have a big expense. Then go several months with no problems. Then something else goes out.

3. If you can learn to fix vehicles yourself, that can save a LOT of money!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Get some friends, make some signs, get a permit. Picket the dealership. They will be out to work it out with you pronto.

Make sure your signs only contain absolutely true facts or opinions so you do not get sued for slander. (ie "Talk to me before buying anyhtnig here"). Or "I wish I had gone elsewhere" "I do not trust this dealership" "High prices for a complete lemon"

Do everythng right becuase they will try to strong arm you into leaving first. Have a video camera handy and if anyone approached you, have someone film it just in case.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Why would you buy such a vehicle in the first place??? Besides that, why didn't you get it checked out first???

You're stuck with it-take it as a very big lesson learned. GL

Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get some friends, make some signs, get a permit. Picket the dealership. They will be out to work it out with you pronto.

Make sure your signs only contain absolutely true facts or opinions so you do not get sued for slander. (ie "Talk to me before buying anyhtnig here"). Or "I wish I had gone elsewhere" "I do not trust this dealership" "High prices for a complete lemon"

Do everythng right becuase they will try to strong arm you into leaving first. Have a video camera handy and if anyone approached you, have someone film it just in case.
Yes because this is the dealerships fault, no one forced this person to buy this car. A dealer is this business to make money, if some one is "stupid" enough to buy a 24 year old truck, with 400k miles and expect it to be in perfect running condition, he deserves what he gets.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
That should have been their first clue , to just walk away.

Why did the OP have to have this vehicle?
Because it was cheep.
It was cheep because it was a worn out POS.
A worn out POS doesn't come with a warranty.
Still some dealers offer a warranty on everything they sell.

no sh1t,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Because its a 24 year old Bronco with 400k miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive