Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 AM

792 posts, read 2,871,777 times

Advertisements

How hard is hard? Being rear-ended at fairly low speeds can actually seem pretty hard. You are not expecting it, so there's the shock factor. And since cars ride on big springs, there will be quite a bit of movement. Also, what are the sizes of the cars? If her car is big and yours is small, "hard" won't need a lot of speed.

Only you know what happened, but could it have been merely an error in judgement of the kind that new drivers make? If you think that's possible, why not contact her parents and get them to agree to pay to have the car inspected? If that shows damage or if they don't play nice, you can still report it to your insurance company. (But I don't know how quickly claims are required to be filed, and you'll obviously need to follow those rules.)

Last edited by JBPisgah; 02-15-2013 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM

15,415 posts, read 25,784,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
How hard is hard? Being rear-ended at fairly low speeds can actually seem pretty hard. You are not expecting it, so there's the shock factor. And since cars ride on big springs, there will be quite a bit of movement. Also, what are the sizes of the cars? If her car is big and yours is small, "hard" won't need a lot of speed.

Only you know what happened, but could it have been merely an error in judgement of the kind that new drivers make? If you think that's possible, why not contact her parents and get them to agree to pay to have the car inspected? If that shows damage or if they don't play nice, you can still report it to your insurance company. (But I don't know how quickly claims are required to be filed, and you'll obviously need to follow those rules.)
Exactly! I didn't see her coming, but it felt like it was a real hard hit. Now, upon checking underneath, she probably noticed us stopped at the light, slammed on her brakes just a little too late. By the time she hit us, her speed must have been way down. I have checked underneath and the only damage is the slight dent in the door. This van is old and paid for. I'm not going to worry about it. As for her, she was pretty shook up, and apologetic. We didn't tell her anything. We just traded info. I was 5 minutes away from an important interview. I didn't have time to wait for the cops. Last time we had someone hit us, the cop refused to write a report. He was too busy, or so he said. I don't know how her parents will handle her hitting us with their car. That's their problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,938,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post

I wouldn't cut the texter a break at all. Texting while driving is dangerous. Why give her the opportunity to slide by without severe repercussions. Next time she's texting and driving she could cause serious injury or death.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
I would have done everything I could to get her license revoked.
Especially if my baby was in the car.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,407,320 times
Add in another that would have immediately called the police/sheriff (I'm rural, no police in most places). I actually HAVE had this happen on my way to an important job interview, called them and let them know what happened with a request to reschedule. Zero issues and I still got the job (it demonstrates a few valuable things to employers).

Kind of a no-brainer, you basically enabled that girl to justify her actions. That's not a good thing as she's going to continue down the same path until someone Does make her accountable, one can only hope it's not through death (either her own or someone else).

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,047,627 times
Texting while driving is incredibly dangerous (and not only to the texting idiot!), and I can't believe the OP has to ask us what to do?

Report it, report it, report it. I hope the idiot teenager loses her license.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,764,284 times
If I were you, I would have called the police.
I thought it was necessary to have police report to make auto insurance claim?
Even if there is no damage below my car, I would still call the insurance company, to give the teenager's "a lesson".
God knows what will happen next? The teenager could ram and kill somebody like what happened 2 years ago (I fail to remember where it happened).

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,197,643 times
Texting for some reason seems to be more of an obsession than just using the cell phone which we all know is very habit forming. It is the perfect money maker for the cell phone makers and networks because it is so addictive. There needs to be direct intervention for people who use them and have accidents .They need help.I think some criminal liability should be placed on cell phone suppliers because their addictive products cause so much harm.So if you encounter a cell phone /texter who has harmed you in any way by all means do anything you can to make them be held 100% accountable...We need to look at them as we look at drug users and acoholics

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM

22,304 posts, read 29,384,171 times
I would have called the cops. You never know. Always protect yourself. It's quite possible this isn't the first time this has occurred with her. Get a couple of estimates-take pics-and contact her parents ASAP

Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM

78,271 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Did she learn that she can't text and drive at the same time? What was her reaction to this happening?

Maybe she said something like... That was a dumb thing to do, I'll never do that again???
No doubt she won't learn until after she runs down someone in the crosswalk at a red light. Maybe with some luck she will instead hop the curb and breaks both thumbs as she smacks into a tree.

Yesterday on the way to work....the texter at the front of the line at the turn signal sat there for 5 secs after the light turned green...I gave one short horn beep and it took them another 4 seconds to get moving after that....as the light turned red they alone made it through the intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive