Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I went looking for a new full sized pickup last May.
I was told no manual transmission on ANY full sized pickup.

I was disappointed !
I've mostly had manual transmission vehicles (Saabs, a few pickemup trucks, a Porsche) but over the last decade have usually had a minivan as a second vehicle (aka appliance) for practical reasons. Almost none exist with manual trans. Before buying my last used minivan, I looked high and low for a Toyota Previa that didn't have gazillion miles and wasn't eaten up by rust, because they're widely available with manual transmissions.

My old, perhaps no longer not-so-trusty truck has 270K miles but I love its simplicity. Unfortunately, as it turns out, the alternator just took a poop so on the top of my to-do list tomorrow morning is, get alternator replaced. Since my minivan is currently indisposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've mostly had manual transmission vehicles (Saabs, a few pickemup trucks, a Porsche) but over the last decade have usually had a minivan as a second vehicle (aka appliance) for practical reasons. Almost none exist with manual trans. Before buying my last used minivan, I looked high and low for a Toyota Previa that didn't have gazillion miles and wasn't eaten up by rust, because they're widely available with manual transmissions.

My old, perhaps no longer not-so-trusty truck has 270K miles but I love its simplicity. Unfortunately, as it turns out, the alternator just took a poop so on the top of my to-do list tomorrow morning is, get alternator replaced. Since my minivan is currently indisposed.

That is the ONE thing I cannot stand about this region. SALT!

But, when you have the Windsor and Detroit salt mines avaliable to you.........

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Sorry for misunderstanding....and I'll admit I did not know that an automatic could be push started! (How?)
6 guys and the idea: "sure we can", no idea how it technically worked, I just know it started and rolled off. I didn't drive, I was one of the guys pushing.

It was an early/med '00 Mitsubishi van/crossover made for the European market, don't remember the name of it.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, it appears a lot of people are of the impression that Automatics cannot be push started, I was just (in an attempted humorous way) to say that it is possible, maybe not all of them and I've only ever done it once, but it can be done.

That being said, given the choice between an auto or a stick I tend to go for the stick every single time.
So it was a Mitsu van, euro model that you push started, didn't know that could be done.

I was under the impression that only early GM Powerglide transmissions had a rear pump so they could be push-started.

BTW I think most EFI cars need at least some power in the battery to run the fuel pump, not necessarily enough to run the starter, but more power than an old-school car with a carburator would need.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So it was a Mitsu van, euro model that you push started, didn't know that could be done.

I was under the impression that only early GM Powerglide transmissions had a rear pump so they could be push-started.

BTW I think most EFI cars need at least some power in the battery to run the fuel pump, not necessarily enough to run the starter, but more power than an old-school car with a carburator would need.
We didn't know it could be done either, we just tried and it worked.

And yes, you do need more power than in older designs, but you still need significantly less than what it necessary to run the starter.

EDIT: I looked up the vehicle, it was a Mitsubishi Grandis.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
The only power I want in my mustang is brakes, manual everything else. I prefer manuals ever since I learned to drive one working at UPS Worldport. One time a new guy was driving our stepvan to a breakroom to use the bathroom and drained the battery trying to get up a small hill at a stop sign. So I walked over and flagged down a tug to push start the thing while I had it in second gear. Those things didn't have power steering either.

I actually have been thinking about a car like say a Plymouth Duster with a manual shifted automatic in it. Something with a built slant six wide tires all the way around. Only cause it's cheaper than swapping a manual in some cars.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I went looking for a new full sized pickup last May.
I was told no manual transmission on ANY full sized pickup.

I was disappointed !
They still make the full size Dodge with a 6 speed manual if you get the diesel.

2013 Ram Heavy Duty First Look - Motor Trend

Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM

202 posts, read 532,262 times
Saved me when my starter went but was still stuck when I had a DEAD battery.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
I've had to push start many cars and motorcycles. One of the great benefits of a manual transmission!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
So today I drove my ancient, trusty Nissan truck to work and on the way home stopped at a convenience store. Getting back in the truck and turning the key....crap, won't start. I called several friends for help/moral support but couldn't get hold of anyone. I looked under the hood but saw nothing obviously loose or wrong-looking...and that's the extent of my automotive know-how.

So there I was, ten miles from home, stuck in a strip mall parking lot with a dead truck. Then it occurred to me, hey wait, it's a five-speed, it can be push-started! I went back into the store and pulled the damsel in distress card looking for a couple of people to push the truck. The 20-something clerk was utterly confused by the concept, as was the 20-something stock guy. But he and another customer agreed to push me while I popped the clutch...the truck started and I got home. And those guys were fairly gobsmacked that such a thing was even possible, which was pretty funny.

Had I been in my van or some other slushbox, it would have been a tedious and expensive ordeal getting it towed...Saturday afternoon so many mechanics and auto shops are closed. I probably would have spent over $100 having it towed to my regular mechanic and he's not there until Monday morning.

I <3 manual transmission vehicles and always have, on so many levels. I know I'm a bit of an anachronism and I also know that modern automatics can be superior to stick shifts but dammit, I would take a manual trans over a slushbox every time.
There are a number of advantages:
  1. Can be push-started
  2. Proactive shifting (automatics are reactive)
  3. Easy to rock out if you get stuck (I've had to do this a few times in snow storms)
  4. More fun (granted, that's more a matter of opinion than anything)
  5. Better gas mileage (anyone that knows how to drive a stick can beat the EPA numbers easily)
  6. More reliable, less prone to break-downs
  7. Cheaper to buy and maintain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive