Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times

Advertisements

It depends upon the court and the judge. I have had and seen guilty verdicts when there are clear errors in the citation and I have seen dismissals for seemingly stupid reasons.

While traffic enforcement can be an important public safety function, in many parts of the country it is a priority to maintain a high level of citations in order to fund/justify a police force. Traffic courts are often nothing more than an extension of the local strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
It's a project car something that a guy wanted for $1000 bucks. I said why not because I've always admired the V6 engines they put into those Mazdas at that time. It was also the first ticket I've gotten in that car. The M5 however has the other 3. I've only gotten 4 tickets and I've took them all to court and won them all. Not too shabby indeed. I'm not bragging. Stoked about it? Hell yeah. Bragging? No.
The mx6 was a great design and a good attempt by Mazda(minus the oil leaks).
But just like 1991/99 Nissan 240 it was under powered and slow compared to the Japanese versions.
To this day i still don't why they didn't drop the J-spec motor in the American Mx6?
Please tell tell me you at least bought a J-spec KL-ZE motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
When I was 17 I had a ticket thrown out written by a state trooper that was for Speeding - 85 in a 65, tailgaiting, and abrupt lane changes. This was with 3 points on my record already. I went in, met with the judge, talked for a little bit. And he decided I was too good of a kid to be getting into trouble like that because my license would have been suspended.
When i was 18 my first ticket was a seat beat ticket.
When i went to go see the judge we started talking about my car(he drove the same one in college).
He then said he'd dismissed my case if promised to buckle up from now until forever.To this day i buckle my seatbelt everytime i get into a car.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Friend your car is going to be watched closer than Obamas limo my man.. You might as well sell it now..For some reason and I assume there are several you got them on your case,,,,Maybe move to another city ..lol
Well, if the OP gets a third ticket from the same officer, he can claim persecution. The officer has lost credibility at this point.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
When i went to go see the judge we started talking about my car(he drove the same one in college).
He then said he'd dismissed my case if promised to buckle up from now until forever.To this day i buckle my seatbelt everytime i get into a car.
That's like the signs that are posted in either Penn. or New Jersey, they say buckle up, now, and for the next million miles.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
I was a witness to a traffic accident recently. The 'kid' caused im going to say $25k in property damage between his and the other ladies car he took out. 'kid' hires a ticket buster guy for $80. Ticket dismissed. Why? Because (im making up the numbers) cop wrote 802.115 for the law instead of 802.116 .. but got the name of the offense right.. just the numbers off. Dismissed. Injured lady, car totaled, sucks to be you. 'kid' is probably out running more stop signs as i type this. Way of the land. With the court system the way it is, i dont know why cops bother writing tickets.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I was a witness to a traffic accident recently. The 'kid' caused im going to say $25k in property damage between his and the other ladies car he took out. 'kid' hires a ticket buster guy for $80. Ticket dismissed. Why? Because (im making up the numbers) cop wrote 802.115 for the law instead of 802.116 .. but got the name of the offense right.. just the numbers off. Dismissed. Injured lady, car totaled, sucks to be you. 'kid' is probably out running more stop signs as i type this. Way of the land. With the court system the way it is, i dont know why cops bother writing tickets.
Hes still responsible for the damanges he did, just gets "out" of the ticket. When it comes to insurance the police do not determin who is at fault, the insurance companys.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Hes still responsible for the damanges he did, just gets "out" of the ticket. When it comes to insurance the police do not determin who is at fault, the insurance companys.
But the insurance companies may take it to court and if they do they will look at any tickets given or in this case not given.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The mx6 was a great design and a good attempt by Mazda(minus the oil leaks).
But just like 1991/99 Nissan 240 it was under powered and slow compared to the Japanese versions.
To this day i still don't why they didn't drop the J-spec motor in the American Mx6?
Please tell tell me you at least bought a J-spec KL-ZE motor?

It has the KLZE engine in it and with the J-spec ECU and VAF. It puts out the full 200 hp that the JDM versions do and more because I put in a new crankshaft, heads and exhaust. I plan on doing more but I will bolster the transmission first and then add a LSD to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You hired a lawyer to contest a $100 ticket? This does not make any sense. Did you pay the lawyer $500?

First unless you live in an extremely podunk place, the prosecutor will not mess with a ticket for 2 miles over. They will negotiate it or drop it. Second, if you contest it with any basis at all, either the prosecutor will drop it, or the judge will toss ti. They do nto have time to mess with trials. If you hired a lawyer, he accomplished nothing you could not do for yourself. Neither the year nor color being wrong are fatal flaws. It could make the ticket not wirth bothering to presecute. However some jusdges will simply toss out a ticket if there is any irregularity. The judge was probably doing other work on his computer, or surfing the internet through the entire "trial" anyway. A speeding ticket does nto really interest a judge much

Incorrect information on a ticket is not perjury. Perjury is a crime of intent. In other words the police office must have known the address was incorrect, must have intentioanlly written down the wrong address for the purpose of misleading someone. If the just and baliff looked like they were about to wet their pants when you started hollering about perjury it was nto becuase they were shocked, it was becuase they were trying really hard not to bust out laughing. Sometimes it is hard to not bust out laughing when people do soemthing like that.

Real perjury is rarely prosecuted or acted on in any way. Judges believe that almost everyone who comes into their courtroom is going to lie (because most do). If they started handing out perjury punishments, they would not have time to do anything else. Perjury is saved for those who rally tick off the judge.

The policemean in the story did not get fired or reassigned becuase he wrote a wrong address on the thicket. If he has disappeared from your area, it is most likely because he was promoted or he got a better job offer elsewhere. Neither the judge nor the prosecutor has nay connection to the admnistration of the police department. The police officer is protected by a union anyway. However in your story, no one at the police deprtamtnet woudl have ever noted that your ticket was thrown out, it would just come back as a ntoe in a file.

Now if the smae officer had 10 - 20 tickets in a row tossed out, that woudl get some attention. One, will nto even get noticed. This can be different in tiny towns where the judge, sherriff, and dog catcher all hang out every day at the local bakery (I would say golf course, but towns that small do nto have golf courses).

Yes. traffic officers can and do stake out people who annoy them. they are allowed to do that. I had a client (hot tempered Italian) who ticked off a police officer. The guy then sat outside the client's job site and pulled over almost every single vehicle leaving that site (mostly trucks) and found reasons to ticket them. He would tell some of them if their boss would come apologize to him, he would dismiss the ticket. Client ended up with $75,000 in fines. However many of the tickets were not valid. We were able to eliminate 90% of them, but it cost the client about $25,000. The point is, if you have seriously annoyed this police officer, the other posters are correct, you should probably move to a different town.

I find the whole story difficult to believe in any event. You just got your new toy going and took it out for a test drive and you only went 57 in a 55? Did you invert the numbers? 75 would be more beliveable. Adding an assertion that you hired a lawyer to defend a ticket that woudl get thrown out anyway, and woudl result in a fine that is a fraction of the lawyers fee if you did get charged, this makes even less sense. The concept that a prosecutor would bother with a trial on a 2 mph over ticket in any event is patently ludicrous. The story does not pass the smell test.
The lawyer is a friend of mine and he did it pro bono. I consulted him like I always do on legal matters just because he is a buddy of mine and why not pick his brain. He just told me that he was going to represent me. I know I could have done it but he wanted to do it so why not. I could just sit there in the courtroom with a smug look on my face which I did. I guess the prosecutor had nothing else better to do because they took up my request for a trial. I was driving it very hard. I'm not going to spend 1500 bucks on an engine and parts just to drive like Grandma. I wanted to see if I built it right and it could handle the punish during its break in period. Getting it up to 6k without hesitation before I even contemplated shifting. I was doing 80 mph on that same road but I hit a traffic jam and I had to slow down. I got through it then dropped it into second to get going again and he was right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
If you were "stoked about it" you would keep it to yourself.

If you were "bragging about it" you would do something like - say - post it on a public forum.

I guess I'd lean toward the latter.
Who are you to tell me what I'm really doing or my intention? I kept it to myself then I thought that maybe it would interesting to tell everyone. I'm sorry I didn't walk out the courtroom thinking that I have to tell you about my victory. People do it all of the time and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have never had to pay for a ticket. You can believe whatever provides you consolation just be sure to console the officer as well. He looked very ticked off yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You hit it the nail square on the head. I put this BS story right up there with all the other BS stories that people post on here about never loosing on a summons issued when they have gone to court. If your going to post BS at least make it somewhat believable. I would like to see the statute in his states V.T.L. that states a mistake on a traffic summons is automatic grounds for dismissal.
You are more than free to call BS on it if it makes you feel better but I'm beaten every ticket and I'm surely not the only who has. It's not hard to win a ticket because it's literally all about playing semantics. Anyway, certain things that are incorrect can be grounds for dismissal such as color, number of doors, make but year isn't so much of a big deal. Those physical things you can see on a car can be grounds for ticket dismissal if incorrect because if the details of the car the officer you say you was driving are incorrect. Who is to say that he lost the vehicle that he really caught and just pinned it on you? An officer doesn't deserve to win a case if they can't be bothered to do those basic things correctly. The ticket "game" is so biased in their favor that they have to be truly retarded to lose.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 02-21-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
But the insurance companies may take it to court and if they do they will look at any tickets given or in this case not given.
The lack of tickets has no effect on the claim process. The Adjuster will take a statment from each driver, any witness and read the police report if there is one. Those are the only things they consider when determing liability

Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The lack of tickets has no effect on the claim process. The Adjuster will take a statment from each driver, any witness and read the police report if there is one. Those are the only things they consider when determing liability
This is true. And when someone doesn't agree with that liability things can go to court. And when things go to court they will look at tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive