Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM

438 posts, read 1,530,897 times

Advertisements

I've seen people driving 65mph in the slow lane late at night a few times, and despite repeated flashes and honks they still don't get it. Lets just say it was in a certain area that has lots of immigrants from a certain part of the world that's not accustomed to driving cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Different areas of the world drive differently. I don't have a database to decipher what exactly you mean when you mention folks driving 65 in the slow lane. Is it that they are going too fast or too slow? In our state, (Hawaii) the highest posted speed limit anywhere is 55 so for us, we haven't a clue what you are referring to. But we all think mainland drivers are crazy anyway, so no big deal.

When asking what your car is worth, it probably matters who you ask. To you, it seems that it has a higher value to most other folks, I'd expect. You value it for all sorts of reasons they wouldn't appreciate. There are a lot of folks out there who can't even drive a stick shift anymore. (I'd call it a "standard" transmission, but they aren't so standard anymore.) However, you can't really pin a valid value on it until you actually get someone to buy it. Are there any similar cars listed on Craig's List or somewhere that have sold? That might indicate the value other folks would put on it. But, as my mechanic has been known to say "get what you like, you can fix everything else". If you are willing to keep fixing things you can keep a car on the road for a really long time.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 AM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
I don't think anyone has addressed the core question....

Your target buyer is someone looking for a Japanese vehicle with over 130,000 on it.

Most people looking for a vehicle will take one look at the odometer, thank you for allowing them to examine the vehicle, and walk away.

If you can find a buyer, it will likely be a college student or young driver simply looking for an inexpensive way of getting from point "A" to point "B".

Sorry, but I for one would not touch it.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
(snip)Late 90's Maxima is well known for durable engines, ask any mechanic. .
OK, I'm a mechanic ... and the Maxima's of that era weren't known for durable engines, because even with routine maintenance per the manufacturer and good quality oils ...

Nissan had significant problems with engine sludge issues which starved the oil pump, ultimately causing catastrophic engine failures. The problem was not readily apparent in many engines which didn't have a total shut-off of the oil, hence an oil warning on the dash ... it was the reduced flow and intermittent starvation that persisted over a longer period of time before a problem became apparent. By then, damage had been done ....

And I'll take a properly serviced 14 year-old BMW 3 series any day over a 14 year-old Nissan of that era .... no way was the Maxima comparable to or a "poor man's" BMW. Have driven enough miles in both to know, and the Nissan is more like a transportation appliance than the sporting luxury nature of the BMW's.

It's interesting that you decry domestic production Asian marques, as some domestic built lines are doing rather well in the durability department.

"It is a tough sell for most but there is a niche market specifically looking for the 5spd." Yes, because 5-speeds in family targeted sedans aren't real popular; ie, "rare" in and of itself doesn't mean that it's a valuable model in the market for which the car was intended. Finding a "niche buyer" at top dollar for your car could be a tough proposition ....

If this car is as reliable and fun to drive as you say it is for you, better to drive this unit until the wheels fall off for your upcoming 70,000 miles of driving then another vehicle.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-24-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Niche" being the key word here.

They have the same number of cylinders and the same stated power output. That's about where the similarities end.
Extremely small, almost non-existent niche. As was said there's little point in a 5 speed over an auto in that type of vehicle.

I see numerous older BMWs autocrossing. I've never seen a Maxima.

Quote:
I think I will either test the waters with a higher asking price or drive the car into the ground and see how hi the odometer goes and that won't be long because I'll be putting some serious miles on it soon. Either way, I'll revisit the thread to put some perspective on the cars value.
Quote:
Well I'm in a unique situation where I might be putting something like 70k miles on it in the next several months. And that's what lead me to create this thread. Is a car that's fun to drive, with leather, all options, getting 28 mpg and that can very realistically reach 200k miles really worth so little?
People talk about engines reaching 200K, but one reason older cars lose their value is that all the other systems n the car need to be maintained as well. I've said many times that the majority of cars I've been in with very high miles, especially when their owner brags about them are a POS other than that they still run fine. There is much more to a car than just the engine.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 AM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
I have always bought reliable new cars and drove them until they died ( always over 200,000 trouble free miles )

However, I realized that once I got over 130,000 miles, my options were only 2----------

#1-----keep on driving it
#2-----give it to one of my adult children as a 2nd car

At some point, selling a car results in a low price

You have reached that point !

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Since its a niche market, maybe you should try selling it on a Maxima enthusiest forum.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Need to consider who are the potential buyers...

For many... it is easier to buy a new car taking advantage of manufacturer's promotions.

A person buying your car will need cash... $3000 in cash will get them into lots of new cars.

Your car is at the age and price where you're in the best position to realize the benefits.

Even among my friends with High School students... all have bought the kids new cars if they go car shopping... last night, one donated their Blazer... it was the car the kids came home in the Hospital in... parents said it just wasn't as safe as the newer cars and didn't want their daughter driving a 16 year old car...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
It's a poor mans BMW, not a Ford Taurus, doesn't this seem low?
A poor man's BMW is a used BMW. Not a Maxima.
Quote:
It's rare becase it's the 5 spd, 95% out there are auto's. The late 90 's 5spd's are a cult class in the year 00 they changed the body style and it was much less popular.

It took me two years to find it.
The few of us that know how to drive a manual transmission aren't looking for a FWD bucket.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
I wouldn't buy a brand new car for a kid. Certified used sure, with a warranty but with a few grand ticked off the price. And yea, older cars just don't feel as safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive