Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM

73 posts, read 167,472 times

Advertisements

One of my friends was involved in a hit and run this past friday. She was rear ended and the other guy backed up and sped off, my friend was able to follow the guy and get his plates number and stuff. So she calls the police and goes to the hospital for back pain, spasms, etc...A few days pass and the police locates the guy and his truck at his home, truck was clean and had DIRTY front bumper that didnt even match the truck that look like he went to a junk yard and swapped it out. So the police talk to the guy ask him where was he on this day etc, the guy is uncoperative and says he was making deliveries on the Naval base and that he was nowhere near the accident. So the police get back to my friend and tells her since there is no physical damage to the guys truck that they cant do nothing and that getting a lawyer probally wouldnt help either. To me that sounds stupid either the police doesnt feel like doing anything or maybe they're right, but its funny that the police told my friend that the truck was clean but the front bumper didnt match the truck and was the only thing dirty on the car, that right there should signal that he's trying to hide something. And how else would my friend have gotten his exact liscense plate? Whenever u go on base if u dont have base stickers u have to go to the pass office sign papaers and get a one day pass so all his info should be on file if he was really "delivering stuff on base" obviously he wasnt but I suggested she call a lawyer anyways that man shouldnt be able to run free after doing something illegal like a hit and run. The police also said since there isnt any physical damage on his truck that to keep bothering him would be considered harrasment. This all happened in Va Beach,Va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
I would still call a lawyer if she can afford to do so. If the lawyer can dig into records such as his activity on the base, and possibly any recent purchases at a junkyard, they'd probably have him. I don't know how much of that is possible though, if at all without a court order.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Get a PI.....they can dig up the dirt a lot better than a lawyer.

Then go to a lawyer with the dirt and sue the dirtaballs *** off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
You dont think the cops are going to "investigate" do you..They dont think that is their job.Your friend is an eye witness. Looks like that would matter.Because there are injures your friends insurance company will have to pay the bills due to uninsured motorist coverage. When they are told the story believe me they WILL investigate

Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
Let the insurance company handle it, it's their job..

Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM

73 posts, read 167,472 times
Yea I'm gonna tell her to follow up with her insurance and let them know all the info the police found out when they went to the guys house. She's been having pretty bad backaches since the accident so I really want this ******* to feel the pain so hopefully he can get charged with a crime or something

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You dont think the cops are going to "investigate" do you..They dont think that is their job.Your friend is an eye witness. Looks like that would matter.Because there are injures your friends insurance company will have to pay the bills due to uninsured motorist coverage. When they are told the story believe me they WILL investigate
Why would the police investigate a civil matter? They did their job in this case. The guy that hit her is ovbiously a scum bag, but there isnt much more they can do. Like others have said, she should call her insurance company, and let them deal with it

Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
The best path forward is for her to file with her insurance. The other options will just cause undue frustration and no fruitful results.

Incidents like this are why more and more drivers are equipping their vehicles with cameras to record their driving. Video proof helps prevent incidents like this where the other driver allegedly was at the scene but there is no proof.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Your friend should have asked to speak with a supervisor. Any get an attorney.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Are you sure she got the license number right? Maybe it is actually the wrong guy.

With nothing more to go on than her statement and a dirty bumper, nothing will happen. The insurance company is not going to bother with it, it is not worthwhile for them. The police are not going to mess with this and then let a murderer walk away because they spent all their resources trying to investigate a traffic incident (and probably failed to find anything).

Now if he cheated on his taxes, it woudl be a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive