Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you think that people don't this are actually sharp enough to realize your being sarcastic? I would love to see the looks on some of their faces!!
In another CD forum, I had a post like that deleted. They said it was advocating criminal activity. So yes, there are people who simply cannot understand sarcasm or that utterly absurd statements are not meant to be taken seriously.

What really grinds me is when young people cut off older people to get a space closer to the door. I can understand older people needing to be close to the door, Walking can be difficult for some. Young people - hey you need the exercise anyway. Whatever happened to basic courtesy and respect for elderly people? Just today I saw a kid squeeze out the door at Wendys while a lady with walker was coming in. I almost told him to get his A** back in here and hold the door for her. But he was not my kid, so I just let it go. Still makes me wonder, what kind of person could do that. No matter how they were raised, you do nto need instruction to know that is just plain wrong and rude, do you?

The other thing that I think is silly is the people with fancy cars who double park to avoid door dings. Hey no door dings! Of course you got keyed, but still you did not get a door ding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The other thing that I think is silly is the people with fancy cars who double park to avoid door dings. Hey no door dings! Of course you got keyed, but still you did not get a door ding.
I tend to park out in the far end of the lot in order to not get door dings. I've double parked in the far end of the lot to not get door dings in a car I just put a custom paint job on. We wouldn't have to do this if people had even a modicum of respect for other people's propery.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I tend to park out in the far end of the lot in order to not get door dings. I've double parked in the far end of the lot to not get door dings in a car I just put a custom paint job on. We wouldn't have to do this if people had even a modicum of respect for other people's propery.

Although I agree with you, I have come to accept that door dings are just going to happen. People have kids. Kids jump out of the car before parents can react. Lots of people also just do not give a hoot. One it is done, it is done.

If I had a car that I could not tolerate door dings, I just would never park it in a lot.

I had a friend who used to park way way out and double park to protect his vette from door dings. However twice the lot filled up and someone got mad when they could not find a spot and keyed his car. It cost him thousands to repair the damage.

While I understand wanting t protect a nice car, it can end up with a worse result to double park, especially anywhere near Christmas. I would rather put up with some little door dings.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Although I agree with you, I have come to accept that door dings are just going to happen. People have kids. Kids jump out of the car before parents can react. Lots of people also just do not give a hoot. One it is done, it is done.

If I had a car that I could not tolerate door dings, I just would never park it in a lot.

I had a friend who used to park way way out and double park to protect his vette from door dings. However twice the lot filled up and someone got mad when they could not find a spot and keyed his car. It cost him thousands to repair the damage.

While I understand wanting t protect a nice car, it can end up with a worse result to double park, especially anywhere near Christmas. I would rather put up with some little door dings.
I shoudlnt' have to to put up with the devaluation of the car due to having to repair it. And I'm a custom body and painter originally. Door dings on my cars **** me off more than anything, as it just points to other's total incompetence and lack of respect for property. And it makes my nice car look like crap. Why should I be forced to drive a beater just so that other people can be left to be inconsiderate *******s?

And just let me catch someone keying a car, mine or anyone's...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
And why should anyone have the right to MORE than one parking spot for their car?? THATS inconsiderate. What if everyone felt like their car was important enough to use multiple spaces? If it matters so much dont park THAT car in THAT lot. I wouldnt key a car that took the last avaliable TWO spots. But I MIGHT put a huge boot print in it. park bybthe same rules as EVERYONE else if you dont like it.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM

When they re-stripe to squeeze more in, it can backfire. They did that at the garage where I park for work. Now the angle is such that no one can get between the lines without multiple back and forth juggling. Most people do not bother. Pickups with mirrors sticking out force the next car over the line just to get in. Once someone parks crooked or over the line, the next guy parks a bit more over and the next etcetera. Eventually there is a space that cannot be used. Approximately every sixth space is unusable because cars park over the lines. They are not getting more spaces, they are getting fewer. They cannot tow the crooked parkers because they would tow 75% of their customers. Oops.

Sometimes people park so close to another car, they cannot get in. More than once I have had to climb over the hump from the passenger side, or even crawl in through the tailgate. That really makes me mad, but there is little I can do about it. I could leave a nasty note, but they really will not care. The kind of person who will block you in so they can avoid going a floor or two higher, is not the kind of person who will give a hoot about a note.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM

I always buy a car with a scratch and ding or two. It is cheaper and then I do not have to get mad the first time it occurs. It is inevitable, so let someone else take the financial loss and shorten their life by getting mad.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
And why should anyone have the right to MORE than one parking spot for their car?? THATS inconsiderate. What if everyone felt like their car was important enough to use multiple spaces? If it matters so much dont park THAT car in THAT lot. I wouldnt key a car that took the last avaliable TWO spots. But I MIGHT put a huge boot print in it. park bybthe same rules as EVERYONE else if you dont like it.
This. There's no excuse for it - or, rather, there ARE excuses that some people try to use to make it okay for them to behave badly, but there are no good reasons for it.

If your car cannot take being out in the real world with other people's vehicles, or your ego is so bound up with your car that you can't cope with a door ding, don't take it there. Don't expect the rules of parking (or driving) to be waived for you because you or your car are so special. Really, how childish!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Well it's obvious some people on here just don't understand what it means to be special!!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Well it's obvious some people on here just don't understand what it means to be special!!
I do I do. It means you ride to school in the little bus right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive