U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is you stand on Hybrids
Staying away from them 21 67.74%
Hoping to purchase one 5 16.13%
Have one and loving it. 4 12.90%
I regret purchasing one. 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM

783 posts, read 2,424,520 times

Advertisements

My in-law wants to purchase a hybrid vehicle but I totally disagree. What's your view concerning this new cars.

There is so much vibe out there about hybrids but the demand and supply is very low. Not that I'm not contented with my Honda Pilot but again "Green" SUV doesn't seem to around the corner.

Most Hybrid vehicle users were tricked into purchasing their cars because the government promised them tax break. In the long run is it worth it.

These vehicles may save couple of dollars but the resale value and maintenance seems pretty high.

If any of the above assumptions are wrong please correct me.

P.S nuclear powered vehicles would be my dream vehicle. Could you imagine driving a car which would cost shillings per year. I guess I'm still dreaming. Until my dream is a reality, I would stay away from Hybrid vehicles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 PM

5,033 posts, read 4,733,858 times
i am interested in this also. I did test drive a highlander today ; they didnt have the hybrid one in yet, but I am on the fence. I drive a small jetta tdi now, but its getting too small for my two boys but I love the mileage I get ; 42mpg.

d

Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM

2,740 posts, read 8,209,109 times
I'm staying away from them for now. Not only do they cost more to begin with, I've heard that the hi-tech, high-voltage battery will have to be replaced at around 6-7 years at a cost of approximately $2000. (don't know if that is true...anyone out there know?). If the high-maintenance costs are true, how can you realize the savings from using less fuel?

Bud

Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM

11,375 posts, read 47,154,917 times
The technology is still in it's infancy. Getting all the promised benefits from these vehicles depends very much on the driving cycle/use that you drive.

Some folks do get the very high fuel economy ... some don't. We have a number of folks around here that bought Prius cars ... and it's a mixed bag for reliability and fuel economy.

Unless you can test drive one of the cars in your actual cycle and know that it will do the job for you, I'd hold off buying one of these for awhile.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 PM

951 posts, read 1,418,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
These vehicles may save couple of dollars but the resale value and maintenance seems pretty high.
My mother-in-laws Civic Hybrid is amazing. She got it when they first came out a few years ago. Nothing but oil changes since. The highest she has gotten is 55 MPG, the lowest is 41 MPG. Most hybrids still have a decent resale value. The Toyotas and the Honda having the best.

I'm sure the batter packs are going to be pricey, but if you compare that to a GM, you most certainly pay more for repairs on those cars.

Besides, look how much gas you have saved over 6-8 years of driving alone. It's almost a no brainer. You just have to aware that you will have to pay for batteries at one point if you are someone who keeps a car that long.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM

872 posts, read 3,360,929 times
Hydrogen is the future.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM

951 posts, read 1,418,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Hydrogen is the future.
Toyota will be the first with a production hydrogen fuel cell vehicle (FCHV).
Mark my word.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:23 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,098,939 times
One thing that all the TREE HUGGERS I think, don't realize about the hybrids is that although they may be helping the environment, they are harming their own health because there is an electric core that creates a HUGE electromagnetic field that goes from the engine in front to the battery in back and it goes right under the driver's seat.

I stumbled across this info when In was researching the dangers of wireless high speed internet vs with a cable.

My sister is a tree hugger and has a Toyota Prius and I'm afraid she wasn't aware of this when she did her research before deciding to buy a Prius.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 PM

14,188 posts, read 27,034,942 times
I drive a diesel TDI New Beetle. I get about 55mpg. It's not new technology and I don't have a 6K battery. My car will run on diesel, biodiesel, or even cooking oil. Switching to a hybrid would be a step in the wrong direction for me!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,499,721 times
I'm all behind the basic premise of hybrid vehicles, namely recapturing braking energy that would otherwise be wasted as heat and shutting off the engine while the car is at a standstill when it would otherwise just sit there idling and wasting fuel. I don't see hybrids serving those functions long-term. Far simpler solutions are currently in the works and will (hopefully) be showing up on vehicles soon. First, several companies are working on using hydraulic systems to perform the braking energy capture-and-release function. Second, I believe it is BMW that is working on an electric flywheel that will allow engine shutoff while sitting idle at a stoplight and what-not. The combination of these two would accomplish much of what a hybrid already accomplishes but with with much less complexity, expense and hazardous materials.

Additionally, the nature of the EPA mileage test versus real-world driving habits grossly inflates the EPA-estimated city mileage for the "full" hybrids, that is, those that can operate on full electric power at low speeds. (It inflates this number because the nature of the test is such that full hybrids can operate almost entirely on electric power during the "city" test cycle, not accounting for how much gasoline will be required to recharge the batteries once they are drained). So a lot of people are getting considerably lower numbers than appears on the window sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive