Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I don't understand why the OP is phrasing this as the "road rage causing bill". How does this cause road rage?
I guess you've never seen people driving in the fast lane, or seen a road rage incident before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
I look forward to the day when all of our cars will have "black boxes" in them . Then like they do in aviation review the actions of the driver and have the power to take his license. For example if a person is shown to have been driving 98 mph in the fast lane and have no justification for it he will lose his driving privilege .It is coming .Insurance companies are already seeing the need for monitoring. Its a safety thing

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So if the 'slowpoke' is going 15mph over the speed limit, should he be ticketed for speeding or not moving over fast enough for the guy that's going 20mph over the limit behind him? There has to be a point where the guy coming from behind is ticketed for endangering everyone else at excessively high speeds doesn't there? Lots of times I see these human wrecking balls that come up from behind and care less if the person in front even has time or space to get over and they push and tailgate the guy in front. Do you think tailgating is the correct way of taking care of someone who's not moving at the exact moment you want them to move over because it's 'you' who says when everyone can safely change lanes?
I wasn't even talking about that. I never said anything about tailgating. Here's what I'm talking about: Every day on my way to work I drive on a rural four lane with very little traffic. And nearly every day there's someone going under the speed limit in the left lane. Why? These people had no reason they could not get over. Yet they just hung out in the left lane for miles and miles. They weren't passing anyone in the right lane. They just chose to drive slowly in the left lane for no apparent reason. Those type of people should be ticketed.

In the scenario you described, if I were going 15 over the speed limit in the left lane, I would get over to the right as soon as I was safely able to do so. Letting people around you is the polite, and safe, thing to do.

If I were the car going 20 over wanting to pass, I would not tailgate. I would look at traffic, see the car in front couldn't get over and just be patient until he could get over. No reason to get upset about it.

Having said all that, I can't remember the last time I drove 15 over so that's not really an issue for me.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
I guess you've never seen people driving in the fast lane, or seen a road rage incident before.
I've seen plenty, I'm just asking why THIS legislation would cause road rage. Plenty of states have laws dictating when you're allowed to use the fast lane. Usually its 'slow traffic keep right' or 'left lane is for passing ONLY'. So why would this legislation cause road rage? If anything its going to reduce road rage. Slow driving in the fast lane only causes a dangerous situation for the rest of us.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
So if the 'slowpoke' is going 15mph over the speed limit, should he be ticketed for speeding or not moving over fast enough for the guy that's going 20mph over the limit behind him? There has to be a point where the guy coming from behind is ticketed for endangering everyone else at excessively high speeds doesn't there? Lots of times I see these human wrecking balls that come up from behind and care less if the person in front even has time or space to get over and they push and tailgate the guy in front. Do you think tailgating is the correct way of taking care of someone who's not moving at the exact moment you want them to move over because it's 'you' who says when everyone can safely change lanes?
Not if you listen to a lot of the folks on here who have their egos tied up with how heavy their foot is on the pedal. (Can you say compensation?) According to them, it's their God given right to drive however fast they want to, and they get to police the highways by insisting that everyone else either break the law or get out of the way.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
TexasHorseLady: I'm not for aggressive or rude drivers but I think that people who want to drive much slower than the speed limit or much slower than the flow of traffic should stay out of the left lane.

Do you agree?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I've seen plenty, I'm just asking why THIS legislation would cause road rage. Plenty of states have laws dictating when you're allowed to use the fast lane. Usually its 'slow traffic keep right' or 'left lane is for passing ONLY'. So why would this legislation cause road rage?
I think you're thinking of this as if it were a situation in some fantasy place like the picture you posted that shows the laws. I get the law and I follow the rule of getting over when I see someone behind me that may be going faster. This legislation will cause more road rage due to the fact that all of the aggresive types out there now who already tailgate and push people ahead of them into making split second dangerous decisions because the aggresive driver thinks the law is in his favor no matter how much he is breaking it by speeding 20mph over, will now have an ego boost.

Now with a law like this in place that aggresive driver will have the mentality that he is always right regardless of how close he tailgates someone to force them out of the way or how fast he speeds because hey, it's all the slowpoke's fault for not moving out of his way now with this new enforcement. I don't know how you haven't seen these hotheads in the fast lane sometimes who put people in danger, but I see it everyday. There's fast drivers who don't try to be controlling or tailgate, and they'll wait until the person in front can move before making a push ahead, and then there's these idiots who have no patience and swerve in and out of lanes or tailgate people because they can't wait a few seconds for the guy in front to find space or time to get out of thier royal way or because they simply have a controlling personality and think they can bully people .

Last edited by RazorRob305; 02-27-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I think you're thinking of this as if it were a situation in some fantasy place like the picture you posted that shows the laws. I get the law and I follow the rule of getting over when I see someone behind me that may be going faster. This legislation will cause more road rage due to the fact that all of the aggresive types out there now who already tailgate and push people ahead of them into making split second dangerous decisions because the aggresive driver thinks the law is in his favor no matter how much he is breaking it by speeding 20mph over. Now with a law like this in place that aggresive driver will have the mentality that he is always right regardless of how close he tailgates someone to force them out of the way or how fast he speeds because hey, it's all the slowpoke's fault for not moving out of his way now with this new enforcement. I don't know how you haven't seen these hotheads in the fast lane sometimes who put people in danger, but I see it everyday. There's fast drivers who don't try to be controlling and tailgate and wait until the person in front can move, and then there's these idiots who have no patience and swerve in and out of lanes because they can't wait a few seconds for the guy in front to find space or time to get out of thier royal way.
No, I disagree with your assessment. People holding up the fast lane whether they are speeding or driving under the speed limit are being just as aggressive as those that are tailgating or driving even faster. They're both ass holes. If I'm driving 5, 10 or 20 miles above the speed limit in the fast lane and somebody comes up behind me going even faster I pull over to the right and let them pass. They want to clear the road of any speed traps for me... go right ahead. Thats what most drivers do. The few that don't end up getting passed on the right creating a dangerous situation. There is no reason anyone should be passed on the right. Either get out the of way or get a ticket. Its just as fair as either obey the speed limit or get a ticket.

The fact remains that the majority of states already have similar laws and they work.

From the US uniform vehicle code.
Quote:
Common practice and most law on United States Highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:
This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[3]It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a traveling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:
A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane...[4]

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
TexasHorseLady: I'm not for aggressive or rude drivers but I think that people who want to drive much slower than the speed limit or much slower than the flow of traffic should stay out of the left lane.

Do you agree?
Yes, and I drive in the middle or right lane except when passing. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that it's just fine for anyone to drive 10 or 15 miles over the limit and then get mad if someone is driving the speed limit (not below) and doesn't rush or do something dangerous to themselves or others in order to let the Big Man (like I said, compensation obvious to any woman with an iota of experience) by.

Frankly, I think that if the speed limits were enforced more stringently a lot of this problem would go away. And I say this as someone who does occasionally drive over the speed limit - but I don't ever pretend that I'm not the one who's doing something wrong and the person driving the speed limit is the cause of the problem, because that's the level of thinking of a two-year-old.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that it's just fine for anyone to drive 10 or 15 miles over the limit and then get mad if someone is driving the speed limit (not below) and doesn't rush or do something dangerous to themselves or others in order to let the Big Man (like I said, compensation obvious to any woman with an iota of experience) by.
Actually it does mean you need to move right even if you are speeding and the person behind you wants to go even faster. It has nothing to do with EGO, its the LAW. See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive