Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
No, I disagree with your assessment. People holding up the fast lane whether they are speeding or driving under the speed limit are being just as aggressive as those that are tailgating or driving even faster. They're both ass holes. If I'm driving 5, 10 or 20 miles above the speed limit in the fast lane and somebody comes up behind me going even faster I pull over to the right and let them pass.
I'm not talking about when the roads are clear in some rural area. I'm talking about when you are in the fast lane because you are going faster than most other cars and do not want to be stuck behind people in the lanes right of you, so you choose to drive in the fast lane, but low and behold there's some guy in your rear going even faster and before you can even get over safely he's all over your azz as if he doesn't see the semi-truck on your right or other cars in your right lane. There's no need to keep tailgating someone in this situation, but I see people do it all the time. It's not wrong to be in the fast lane if you truly are going faster than other lanes, but when someone is behind you driving aggresively like this then they need to be pulled over by a cop. These are the types of drivers I often see who create the road rage incidents because they like to feel in control of everyone on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Actually it does mean you need to move right even if you are speeding and the person behind you wants to go even faster. It has nothing to do with EGO, its the LAW. See above.
I get that it's the law to move over when someone is coming up faster, but isn't it also the law not to speed excessively? I mean, at what point does the driver coming up from behind cross the barrier of creating a dangerous driving condition for every person on the road? Isn't there a reason for the speed limit, or should the speed limit be overlooked as the driver who doesn't move over to the right gets ticketed even if they are going 15mph over the limit. You can't just say that everyone has to always move over without factoring speed into the equation. If a driver is already 15mph over the limit I would think by common sense that he should legally be able to travel at that speed and stay in the fast lane because anyone going faster than this on a 75mph freeway will be putting everyone in danger anyways. What is the purpose of having and creating laws in the first place? Isn't it for the safety of the citizens? Then what happens in a situation where the two parties in the fast lane get into an accident because the driver in front was 'blocking the lane' as the driver in back was tailgating and speeding over 20mph? Who gets the ticket? Who is in the wrong in this situation if you're a cop writing the report?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I get that it's the law to move over when someone is coming up faster, but isn't it also the law not to speed excessively? I mean, at what point does the driver coming up from behind cross the barrier of creating a dangerous driving condition for every person on the road? Isn't there a reason for the speed limit, or should the speed limit be overlooked as the driver who doesn't move over to the right gets ticketed even if they are going 15mph over the limit. You can't just say that everyone has to always move over without factoring speed into the equation. If a driver is already 15mph over the limit I would think by common sense that he should legally be able to travel at that speed and stay in the fast lane because anyone going faster than this on a 75mph freeway will be putting everyone in danger anyways. What is the purpose of having and creating laws in the first place? Isn't it for the safety of the citizens? Then what happens in a situation where the two parties in the fast lane get into an accident because the driver in front was 'blocking the lane' as the driver in back was tailgating and speeding over 20mph? Who gets the ticket? Who is in the wrong in this situation if you're a cop writing the report?
I agree. Speeding can be dangerous and its definitely illegal. But law enforcement is the job of the police, not civilians camping out in the left lane, blocking traffic. Get out of the way, allow the speeder pass you safely on the left and let the police handle law enforcement.

In your scenario the person tail gating couldn't also be traveling 20mph faster than the person blocking traffic. They would both have to be speeding. There isn't enough information in your scenario to decide who is at fault but they are both breaking the law.

Last edited by evergraystate; 02-28-2013 at 12:30 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I think it's a common sense law that is long overdue. A lot of traffic and accidents are caused by slow drivers who stubbornly refuse to change lanes causing people to swerve in front of them and drive dangerously. The OP refers to this as road rage but I see it as a lack of courtesy by the slow driver who refuses to change lanes. I'm surprised it's taken this long to address these passive aggressive drivers who sit in the left lane causing long backups.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
This. I have spent I don't know how many hours trying to get across to some on here that, in Texas at least, and I suspect in most other states, the law that slower traffic should move right goes hand in hand, and does NOT override, the law that sets the speed limit. It's like beating your head against a brick wall, because the only part of the law that they want to acknowledge is the part that will let them drive however fast they want to no matter what.

Yes, slower traffic should move right. Yes, it's the place of the police to enforce the speed limit, however, it's not the place of the drivers to violate the speed limit just so that some - well, I can't use any of the appropriate words here - can get by them.

With all this talk of it's not the place of the drivers to enforce the law, those screaming it at every turn should consider that it's not THEIR place, either, to enforce the law regarding slower traffic moving right. (That whistling sound you here is that concept going right past their ears.)

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it's a common sense law that is long overdue. A lot of traffic and accidents are caused by slow drivers who stubbornly refuse to change lanes causing people to swerve in front of them and drive dangerously. The OP refers to this as road rage but I see it as a lack of courtesy by the slow driver who refuses to change lanes. I'm surprised it's taken this long to address these passive aggressive drivers who sit in the left lane causing long backups.
Um, no. This is putting the blame where it doesn't belong.

Any driver who thinks that they are forced by anyone else to swerve and drive dangerously just because the person in front of them isn't driving "fast enough: does not belong on the road and should not have a license. Period.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
There is a little nuance of the law you have passed over.
If you are breaking the law, you have given up your right to the right of way.

In other words she doesn't need to yield to the car that it breaking the law.

but I agree if you have 2 or more cars stacked up behind you move over if there is a lane.

Quote:
Actually it does mean you need to move right even if you are speeding and the person behind you wants to go even faster. It has nothing to do with EGO, its the LAW. See above.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
sets the cruise and sits in the left lane.
On a recent trip from Pittsburgh to Florida and back I noticed that this seemed somewhat more prevalent in the south even than in the northeast. I regularly drive from Pittsburgh to Boston; NY plates are notorious for sitting in the left and never switching lanes, but I never have run into it so many times as I did on this trip south. Quite rampant on 95 through SC, GA, FL.

So this would be a good law for Georgia to implement. But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the only time this would be enforced is if people dont move out of the cop's way fast enough.
This is pretty much what will happen. We have a keep right except to pass law here in PA. It's not enforced in a meaningful way, it's just there. Sometimes in a few places they post more signs, but even if they do that it doesn't typically help that much.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Yes, slower traffic should move right. Yes, it's the place of the police to enforce the speed limit, however, it's not the place of the drivers to violate the speed limit just so that some - well, I can't use any of the appropriate words here - can get by them.

Who says you have to violate the speed limit? If the person behind you wants to go faster then you, or faster then the speed limit. When its safe, just move to the right. Why cant you understand that? You're not the police, and its not your job to control the speed limit.

Last edited by Me007gold; 02-28-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about when the roads are clear in some rural area. I'm talking about when you are in the fast lane because you are going faster than most other cars and do not want to be stuck behind people in the lanes right of you, so you choose to drive in the fast lane, but low and behold there's some guy in your rear going even faster and before you can even get over safely he's all over your azz as if he doesn't see the semi-truck on your right or other cars in your right lane. There's no need to keep tailgating someone in this situation, but I see people do it all the time. It's not wrong to be in the fast lane if you truly are going faster than other lanes, but when someone is behind you driving aggresively like this then they need to be pulled over by a cop. These are the types of drivers I often see who create the road rage incidents because they like to feel in control of everyone on the roads.
I have been in that situation before. The person behind me can wait until I can get over. If they don't like it, too bad. I'm using the left lane the way it was designed for....passing vehicles. They should pay attention to the road itself and not the rear of the car in front of them. When people tailgate, they limit their vision. Maybe if they would back off, they can see the entire roadway and perhaps avoid getting themselves in that situation. Tailgaters are examples of inattentive drivers.

I don't care how fast other people drive...its not my problem. I'll move over when there is enough space for me to change over. People should stay to the right except for passing. That is the purpose of having more than one lane. I add 5-10 on most speed limits anyway to keep my distance away from most drivers.

If someone wants to go faster, let them. Passing from the right lane is more dangerous than passing on the left. No need to make a situation much worst. Driving is not a competition. You get in your car and get where you are going as safety as possible. You have a aggressive driver coming up behind you, get out of their way and let the cops or the guardrail slow them down, which ever comes first. It is no concern of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive