Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM

219 posts, read 657,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not very fond of washing my car while wearing a parka and boots. I run it through the car wash in the winter to remove salt. Also, if the car is heavily caked with mud, it's a lot easier to do a proper wash at home after a run through the car wash.
*grimaces* using a car wash in the winter is one of the worst things you can do, man. Think regurgitated salt and grit blasting your car.

Here are my tips. (this is just for your everyday commuter car, not a classic sports car or anything)

1. Screw paste waxes, find a good synthetic sealant. The only reason for paste is if you for some reason enjoy its certain shine or if you enjoy the extra suffering/elbow grease involved.

2. Do 2-3 full scale wash and details between seasons. Wash, clay bar, polish, sealant etc. Do minor hose-downs in between as you need them. Mud,bugs, grim, etc.

3. Garage car if you can. If parking outside, aim for shade, but be wary of sap and bird droppings. Invest in a good car cover.

4. If you garage your car in an area where they use salt in the winter, don't heat your garage. Esp, with older cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I
In all the years, none of my vehicles have been to a car wash.
People that use a car wash are either very lazy, are much to busy , or just hate doing anything themselves when it come to vehicle upkeep.
Bob.
You're being overly harsh as well as very wrong. Millions of car owners CAN'T wash their cars due to a wide variety of medical or financial reasons.

It's never good to paint other people with such a wide negative brush since you can not know their life considerations.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Wax can be a paste or a liquid. Polish is about nourishment and wax is about protection.

Polish is used for light oxidation. Compound is used for more sever damage. Both to a certain degree lift paint and move it around, but compound is more aggressive.

Clay is important for any car that exists outside. Pollution, dirt, and grit always work their way into the paint and clay is the best way to remove them (that, and soap). You can feel the difference in the paint - drag your fingernails lightly over the paint. Healthy paint is smooth as glass, paint that needs clay will be evident because your fingernails will catch on the minute bits of dirt.
All good advice here... except if you are going use your fingernails to inspect the paint... be very gentle or you risk scratching. Rather, I would recommend using a thin plastic bag to increase sensitivity. Those you find at you supermarket for vegies and fruit.

This is what i do...

Once a week
Wash and use spray wax... the wipe on and wipe off type.

Once a month
Wash and wax... two layers of wax
Usually one layer of sealant and one layer of carnauba

Twice a year
Wash
Clay
Polish... may do some paint correction depending on paint condition
Wax... again one layer of sealant and one layer of carnauba

My regiment might be more than needed but it will make your car look better than the new cars at the dealer lot.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
C8N

One more thing... use quality applicators.
Good wash mitts and microfiber towels and most importantly... work clean.
Meaning if you drop you towel... dont use it again. Rinse your wash mitt often and its these applicators that leads to alot of swirls and scratches. Imagine you drop your towel and some sand gets on it and you rub that towel all over you car.... guess what you just scratched up you car.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
*grimaces* using a car wash in the winter is one of the worst things you can do, man. Think regurgitated salt and grit blasting your car.
Huh. I didn't know that.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
C8N

Quote:
Huh. I didn't know that.
I think it all depends on how one would want to keep your car paint maintained.

If you want to maintain that new car finish, automated car washes is one of the worst things you can do. Think how many cars go thru that car wash and it's the same dirty applicators, brushes, towels and etc that is used to clean and dry your car. This leads to swirl marks and small scratches. Upon close examination, you will find them on your car with the proper lighting and over time, these swirls and scratches will accumulate and end up dulling out your paint finish because these scratches end up distorting the way light should reflect which is why the finish will look dull and lose reflectiveness.

Some ppl care and some don't. My boss never washes the exterior of his BMW X5 on his own and the only time it gets washed is when the dealer will wash it for free when its in for service. By no means, I don't think he is being cheap but his logic is that the car should take care of you and not the other way around. Me on the other hand, I like my cars shinny and new looking and at the end of the day, if I do end up selling or trading it in, I am hoping it will help the resale value. How much will this help... who knows... Either way, I enjoy drive a nice shinny car.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Thanks for explaining that to me. I really never thought about it in that way. I just remember Dad telling me to, "Get the darned salt off of your car!"

One time (a long time ago) I thought that I needed new brakes. I couldn't stop and slid into an intersection. My husband took it down the road to the brake place. As it turned out, there was (maybe) two inches of hardened mud stuck to the pads and rotors. I used to off road solo midweek because everyone gave me so much grief about going out. At least I left voice mail, notes and a map of where I was going.

Still, I spent at least a week three times a year going over every inch of that car. In the end, it was totaled in an accident. So much for the paint job.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
C8N

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that to me. I really never thought about it in that way. I just remember Dad telling me to, "Get the darned salt off of your car!"

One time (a long time ago) I thought that I needed new brakes. I couldn't stop and slid into an intersection. My husband took it down the road to the brake place. As it turned out, there was (maybe) two inches of hardened mud stuck to the pads and rotors. I used to off road solo midweek because everyone gave me so much grief about going out. At least I left voice mail, notes and a map of where I was going.

Still, I spent at least a week three times a year going over every inch of that car. In the end, it was totaled in an accident. So much for the paint job.
You definitely do want the salt off your car but in safe way so that you do not damage the finish... that is if you care.

Safety should always #1. Should hose down your wheels or at least run through a puddle of water after off-roading in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Most important, don't make this a science project. Wash it once a week and wax it once in a while. Really, there is nothing more to it. All these procedures and steps that come out don't accomplish much other than in the minds of those doing it. There is no magical soap or wax or paint treatments anymore than there are magical motor oils.

The common car wash solutions all come with directions and they work. Your owners manual will also explain it.

Some people can take a simple thing and make an entire career out of it, washing cars is one of them. Keep it simple, it really is. Then enjoy your new car.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Most important, don't make this a science project. Wash it once a week and wax it once in a while. Really, there is nothing more to it. All these procedures and steps that come out don't accomplish much other than in the minds of those doing it. There is no magical soap or wax or paint treatments anymore than there are magical motor oils.

The common car wash solutions all come with directions and they work. Your owners manual will also explain it.

Some people can take a simple thing and make an entire career out of it, washing cars is one of them. Keep it simple, it really is. Then enjoy your new car.
I agree except that washing once a week is a lot. I car a lot about the looks and cleanliness of my cars but once a week is generally too often. If your weather is good for long stretches than your car won't accumulate much more than dust. If your car is a dark color this can be noticeable. But as far as preserving the paint goes - weekly is pretty hard for me to keep up with.

Some of this depends on whether the car is garaged or not too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive