Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times

Advertisements

The seats in the Nissan Maxima look pretty comfortable, but I don't know if they actually are. I'd say heated seats are a must too, they sure help my back in cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've heard the same thing. Truck seats are designed for middle aged men, they're larger and tend to have more padding. Full size trucks also have a less jarring ride, and they're easier to get in and out of.
He will alos find that Mini vans have same higher seating to floorborad as trucks which is why when I no longer needed a trusk :i bought a mini van.I being 65 cannot travel long distances without getting unconfortable in those low seat to floor board cars anymore. Electric seats alos help o trip to allow easy seat proitioning.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,079 times
Get him out of his car... and into a walkable neighborhood.

One day (soon?) he will thank you for it.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He will alos find that Mini vans have same higher seating to floorborad as trucks which is why when I no longer needed a trusk :i bought a mini van.I being 65 cannot travel long distances without getting unconfortable in those low seat to floor board cars anymore. Electric seats alos help o trip to allow easy seat proitioning.
I have had three thorasic / lumbar procedures and one cervical with a fourth lumbar procedure scheduled for next wednesday. A higher seating position in relationship to the gas and brake pedal combo is a must for those with back issues. The higher seat position allows for less of an angle between the back of your knee and your feet. Anyone with a bad back knows that anything that causes tension on your hamstring (like the position you sit in sports cars) are not good for the back. The further that you can get from 90 degrees between your hips and feet the better. In the end it's all about position and support.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If no one knows, the Los Angeles area has people who totally rip apart a brand new car, stretch it into a limousine, and put it all back together to look like it came from the factory that way. Including custom seats.

They have big money people there (Beverly Hills, etc.) and thus they can do just about anything custom.

I've seen stretch limo VW bugs, Hummers, BMW's, you name it! They even have one with a hot tub in it. Anyway someone does the seats for these.

I just searched google.com for Los Angeles custom car seats and found the following. Might want to call around and find out who is the best at this...
Los Angeles Custom car seats | Custom car seats in Los Angeles, CA - YP.com

Also might try the same search for other big $$ areas like NY or Florida if those are closer.
Unless they have a surgeon on staff that can design a seat to deal with a specific orthopedic need, the person is throwing money out the window.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This will sound so wrong but it works. Have your friend drive some modern trucks.
There are many high performance trucks available. A bad back requires not just the right seating but the correct posture.
I have many friends and family with bad backs and many have had surgery. They all turn to trucks.
my F-150 is the most comfortable for me out of all my cars.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Buy any vehicle he wishes.
Then go to a auto customization shop and try out some seats.
They will install it for you.
Recaro makes some nice seats.
RECARO - en - RECARO Group-en
You obviously don't have a bad back, and if you do you would have never posted this.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
I do, I see a chiropractor on an occasion. I require a seat with a good lumbar support. They bake seats with all sorts of adjustments and air bladders.
A aftermarket seat can change hoe you think about driving your car.

Not all of the seats they make are hard racing seats some are very comfortable seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You obviously don't have a bad back, and if you do you would have never posted this.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,944 times
I would advise him to purchase a Volvo whether he likes them or not. Volvo uses orthopedic surgeons to help design their seats. I love the seats in our Volvo, I can ride in our car for hours and I always arrive feeling fresh whether I have just driven 4 hours or 8.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post

my F-150 is the most comfortable for me out of all my cars.

No back surgery for me, just a chronic back issue that gets better, then worsens depending upon my activities.

Our F-150 seating position is the most comfy of our vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive