Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times

Advertisements

For the most part I wear nothing but Maui Jim and have for about the past 15 years.

I have 2 pair of Serengeti (grey lenses and brown lenses) and I really liked them except the nosepads literally fell off and after about 3 years the lenses on the grey ones split. I also have a pair of Gargoyle which I would like a lot more except the nuts holding the frames to the lenses are constantly loose.

I am insanely light sensitive and have found that nothing but higher end sunglasses work. I cant just pull any old polarized lens off the shelf and feel comfortable.

I had one pair of Maui Jims that lasted 13 years and another that lasted 12 before the frames on both gave out. Just recently picked up another pair and I wont wear anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I have polarized Persols that are 7 years old and in great shape and are worn very often, even on brighter cloudy days. Very high quality lenses and construction. Most importantly though they look very cool, you know, like Jackie O and Ari.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
For night driving, Tag Heuer makes a night glass that reduces eye strain on long drives, I find. I do tend to wear glasses most days, not only when there is bright sunshine, though I switch glasses based upon the brightness as I find the glasses reliably reduce eye strain, and give clarity when it's overcast or even in some degree of rain.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,027 times
I haven't tried them, but was told the glasses the trap shooters wear are great for day and night driving.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Serengeti. +1

Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM

57 posts, read 102,057 times
I would never wear anything besides BluBlockers. They are absolutely fantastic. It is a proprietary color, but you can have Rx glasses tinted in a color very close to BluBlocker, and they will perform just about as well. They even give noticeably improved distance viewing in mist or fog.

Just be sure that whatever glasses you use, they are the amber color of BluBlockers.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

251 posts, read 522,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
I would never wear anything besides BluBlockers.

No way... Blue is my favorite color! I prefer wearing "old lady driving Buick blockers"

Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
American Optics, now known as AO Eyewear made the glasses for the original NASA/Apollo Astronauts and still makes the same glasses today. Inexpensive, American made, and timeless with several options. Go with polarized for driving. Regular aviator glasses won't be polarized, as most instruments/windows are plastic/lexan, and you will get color and pattern distortion with a polarized lens, and in some cases won't be able to see a display on a LCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive