Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
Did they try bead sealer yet?
I think that is what they did, but they said it probably will not hold because it does not stick well to aluminum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I lose less than 1 psi a month on my truck, while I can lose 5+ a wheel on my car. Both have alloy wheels (few if any wheels are pure aluminum) but the truck's wheels are 10 years old, and the car's are about 4. I've read about wheel corrosion. Maybe I have the same issue. It seems to me that corrosion could be removed without damaging a wheel. We're not talking about something anywhere close to as coarse as rust on steel at the beach.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that is what they did, but they said it probably will not hold because it does not stick well to aluminum.
Well I slid off the road once and wedged a few rocks and gravel in the bead of one of my alloy rims. I pried some of the rocks out and it began to leak. I took my wheel to work, broke the bead and discovered the rim only had lite scrateches and seemed fine. The tire bead had a few scratches deep enough to leak. I cleaned everything off and used some sealer and never had an issue.

Also I've never had any more issues with an alloy rim sealing vs steel. Even on 20 year old rims.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've tube plenty of tubeless tires over the years...

I know the practice is frowned upon and tubes are hard to get.

I have trailer I tubed and it has sat in the yard 6 years and the tires have not gone down... never added air.

A local wheel wright will carefully buff sealing surface of rims with great results...

He said wire leaves to many scratches on soft rims.. OK for steel.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM

50 posts, read 88,901 times
Malarky. Total freaking hogwash. Work in a tire shop, they come in all the time like that. Go to a local tire dealer and ask if they buff aluminum wheels. Not all do, (can be a safety hazard, the buffers can spit out metal wires eyes, etc. wear goggles.), so find one that does. Bead sealer should generally not be used on aluminum wheels (doesn't bond well). But do go elsewhere. We clean the wheels when they're flat, new tires put on, just in general.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
We had a tire blow out on our 1998 Volvo V70 XC (AWD) (240K miles). Because it is AWD and the tires were at least 20% worn, we replaced all of the tires.

Five days or so later (today) I go to leave for work and one tire is completely flat one nearly flat and the other two are low. So I filled the front two and drove back to the tire store.

They claim aluminium wheels tend to corrode along the edge of the tire. When you replace the tire, you have to buff out the corrosion to get a good seal. They showed me where the buff marks were clearly visible around one rim. It looked to me like they used an awfully coarse wire brush for aluminum, but they claimed it is just normal. They said sometimes with old rims, when you remove the corrosion, the rim just will not ever seal again and need to be replaced. While sealer is available, it generally will not work on aluminum rims. They tried to convince me to buy new rims. I said no.

I am having a really hard time accepting their premise. Before they replaced the tires none of the four rims were leaking. After - all four are leaking. If it were one rim, or even two, I would probably buy their story that time, corrosion, or whatever, required replacement. However, having all four suddenly fail at once, simply does not seem plausible.

I do not know a lot about aluminum rims (other than the fact I do not like them). Frankly what I know about tires is only performance information. When I need new tires, I go to a tire store. I never do any of that myself and never have. However logic and plausibility ells me this seems wrong. Further, to me, looking at the rim and knowing it needs to seal against high pressure air, make me think maybe they used the wrong buffing brush (like maybe one made for steel wheels). However with so little actual knowledge, I am like a one legged man in a kicking contest. I want to find out how realistic their position is before I tell them it simply makes no sense and they need to fix it.

Is it normal to buff out aluminum rims with a stiff wire brush to remove corrosion?

It is normal to leave scratch marks all round the rim when doing so?

Is the idea that all four rims would suddenly be corroded to the point whether the buffing makes them unable to seal and the need replacement plausible?

If this does not sound right to you, where woudl I go to confirm there is a problem caused by them? Just another tire store? In my experience all tire store technicians appear about equally knowledgeable or lacking in knowledge (i.e. they have good basic knowledge, but just follow a proscribed pattern - not usually the figure it out types). Is there some type of shop that is likely to be more knowledgeable?

thanks
I replaced the factory aluminum wheels with nice after market alloy wheels on my 20 yr old Suburban las year due to corrosion that had ruined the sealing surface. This can , and will happen , on any alloy rim that is operated where road salts are used.

So get used to the idea that fresh set of alloy wheels are in your future!!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
???
If the tire is on the rim salt will not get past the bead.
I use aluminum and alloy rims I have yet to see any oxidation in the rim only on the outside and that does not effect it's air holding capabilities.

as stated alloy, magnesium and or aluminum rims are porous and can seep out air slowely.

The op needs someone to clean up the rim so the tire can seal properly.
Then if it still leaks goop it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
. This can , and will happen , on any alloy rim that is operated where road salts are used.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I replaced the factory aluminum wheels with nice after market alloy wheels on my 20 yr old Suburban las year due to corrosion that had ruined the sealing surface. This can , and will happen , on any alloy rim that is operated where road salts are used.

While I get that it can happen, i find it hard to accept that all four wheels were holding air just fine before they messed with them, and now all four are leaking. Hard to buy that it is not something they did. If it were one wheel or maybe two, it might be easier to beleive. That plus seeing the roughed up edges whether they "buffed" them with a wire wheel.

So far they are holding air now, but they held air at first for five days, so I will have to wait and see what happens. What is more annoying than the probelm itself, is the time it takes. They said it would be 15 minutes and it took them 1.5 hours. plus driving time. That is hundreds of dollars of my time. I do not mind if I have to pay a little extra for good work, but I do not like to have to waste my time going back to get them to correct their work. However I am not sure where you find better technicians. We use either Discount Tire or Belle Tire. They seem to have the same quality level of service people. IN fact one guy used to be at Bell and is not a Discount. They are about the same price, it just depends on who is ahving the better sale on a given day. Do independant tire shops hire better people? It seems lie thay are probably drawing form the same pool of technicains.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
???
If the tire is on the rim salt will not get past the bead.
I use aluminum and alloy rims I have yet to see any oxidation in the rim only on the outside and that does not effect it's air holding capabilities.

as stated alloy, magnesium and or aluminum rims are porous and can seep out air slowely.

The op needs someone to clean up the rim so the tire can seal properly.
Then if it still leaks goop it...
Follow this advice to your death it's that bad!

Any wheel that needs "goop" is a junk wheel.

Salt will not pass the bead but a dissolved wet solution of road salts will wick between the tire bead and the sealing surface of the rim. Result= junk rim.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
While I get that it can happen, i find it hard to accept that all four wheels were holding air just fine before they messed with them, and now all four are leaking. Hard to buy that it is not something they did. If it were one wheel or maybe two, it might be easier to beleive. That plus seeing the roughed up edges whether they "buffed" them with a wire wheel.

So far they are holding air now, but they held air at first for five days, so I will have to wait and see what happens. What is more annoying than the probelm itself, is the time it takes. They said it would be 15 minutes and it took them 1.5 hours. plus driving time. That is hundreds of dollars of my time. I do not mind if I have to pay a little extra for good work, but I do not like to have to waste my time going back to get them to correct their work. However I am not sure where you find better technicians. We use either Discount Tire or Belle Tire. They seem to have the same quality level of service people. IN fact one guy used to be at Bell and is not a Discount. They are about the same price, it just depends on who is ahving the better sale on a given day. Do independant tire shops hire better people? It seems lie thay are probably drawing form the same pool of technicains.
Hey,it's Ok by me since it's your funeral if you use damaged wheels and they eventually fail!

You've been warned........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive