Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM

419 posts, read 906,707 times

Advertisements

If you have ever owned either a late 90's to early 2000's Chevy Blazer or
a Ford Explorer, could you comment on your experience with it and whether
you would recommend it?

I need to move a long distance, and presently have a small car. It won't
hold much so I'm considering selling it for a few grand (Mitsubishi Galant) and
getting an older suv...like those mentioned above.

Initially, from what I've seen on Consumer-type websites, neither the blazer/jimmy
/bravada or the explorer/mountaineer seem as reliable as what I have now.

Just looking for some help --thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
"I need to move a long distance"

Have you considered a pick-up truck to haul your stuff and rent a tow dolly for your car?
Then when you get to your destination sell the truck.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM

419 posts, read 906,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
"I need to move a long distance"

Have you considered a pick-up truck to haul your stuff and rent a tow dolly for your car?
Then when you get to your destination sell the truck.
No thats interesting, hadn't thought of that. My concern there would be weather
and damage to the contents while making the move.

I did look into renting a trailer for my car, but was told it's too small an engine to pull
much.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Three choices that are both much better options then selling your current car and getting an old SUV/truck:

1. Rent a moving truck from Penske, U-Haul, etc. and get a tow dolly for your car. These are readily available and not that expensive. The larger trucks can easily handle hauling your stuff and the car. The enclosed box means none of your stuff is impacted by weather.

2. Rent a POD - Portable On Demand Storage, or something from a similar company. They drop the "POD" off at your current house, you fill it up and they ship the container to your new house for you and it's there when you get there. Just take your valuables and necessities with your and drive your current car.

3. Similar to the POD option, hire a moving company and have them transport everything for you while you drive your current car.

The worst move, IMO, would be getting rid of an older used car you know to buy an older used SUV/truck you don't know and then try to drive it across country. Doubley so, when you have no need of the SUV/truck beyond the move itself.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
I totally agree with NJ. We rented from Penske, and while I dont remember the exact cost, I know it was way cheaper than buying a used vehicle you wont be able to trust. My son and his fiance also rented and they towed. Good luck on your move.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Having owned both full size Blazers and Ford trucks from the late 80s to 80s I would definately recomend the Blazer. A 350 Chevrolet motor is robust and you can keep them running forever for next to nothing. side benefit being many autoparts stores, carry many of their parts in stock.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM

162 posts, read 381,182 times
Back in the day when I got my license (keep in mind this was back in 2000 when you could get it at 15 1/2 and didn't have driving restrictions) and was getting my 1st car I knew I wanted an SUV and I researched each of them. It came down to the 1999 GMC Envoy, 1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer or 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I eliminated the GMC pretty quickly due to it's ride, what I considered very cheap interior fittings and poor IIHS crash test rating. The JGC was a VERY nice SUV and the newest one of the 3 but I was worried about reliability and the cost was much higher vs. the Explorer. The Eddie Bauer Explorer won out and I really enjoyed it for the 2 years I owned it except the car needed constant alignments which drove me nuts. The Firestone issue didn't inspire much confidence either but I enjoyed having Side Airbags (optional starting in 1999) and it's crash test ratings were the best of the 3

Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The last full size Blazer (V8) was 1995. The smaller Blazer had a 4.3 that was the same basic 350 block with two cylinders chopped off. I had a 1989 S10 Blazer and then a 1994. Later I got a 1996 Explorer. The Explorer will definitely hold more cargo, but the 4.0 V6 was a little underpowered compared to the Blazers. I also found the automatic transmissions on the Blazers to last longer, still going close to 200,000 miles while the Explorer only made 128,000.

That may have just been my luck, though. Both got about the same gas mileage. The Blazers both had less problems with minor none drive-train parts. The Explorer had the rear wiper go out, power window problems, power seat problems, and rear seat fold-down latch broke.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
[QUOTE. I eliminated the GMC pretty quickly due to it's ride, what I considered very cheap interior fittings and poor IIHS crash test rating. [/quote]

Yeah those GMC/Blazer's of that generation fold like a tin can right at the driver's area, major structural failure and very scary to see on the IIHS videos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive