Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times

Advertisements

This is directed to you enthusiasts out there. I've been reading a lot of car websites lately. When I get to the comments sections, I see a great deal of derision of people who honestly just want a well-made, decent, reliable vehicle to get where they want to go.

Words like "sheep" and "brainwashed" and "appliance" are thrown around quite a bit, as if being extremely practical and frugal in the choice of a vehicle is a bad thing.

I can respect people who place more value on styling, high-performance and handling, fun-to-drive etc. I get it. I really do.

For me, however, my car is not a love affair. It's a means to an end. I don't need it to give me thrills running up my leg. I just want to have a reasonable assurance that it will work and that I won't spend much time or money in the shop beyond the basic maintenance. Is that such a terrible thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,093 times
No.. it's not a terrible thing but for the same amount of money and reliability... wouldn't you want a more exciting car?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
Edited out as really, it was a load of b*ll*cks and a bit pretentious.

Last edited by Baldrick; 03-04-2013 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: See above.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Some body has to buy the Chevy Impalas and Toyota Camrys of the word, besides the rental car companys that is. Buy what you want, who cares what any one else thinks or says

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times
Who are you? Do something worthy of my hate and then we'll talk. Basic cars like that you speak of are "appliances". Like Camrys and Accords and so on..... They are meant for the "sheep" Basic, affordable and reliable transportation. When someone says "sheep". It's just that you are a part of the vast majority and manufacturers cater to you. As a result, less and less enthusiastic vehicles are around because of people like you. This is why RWD, manual transmissions and convertibles just to name a few things are not as common. Basic, FWD, automatic snoozebox is what people like you want and because you are the majority that's what the manufacturers will make. The problem also is that they push these snoozeboxes down the throats of enthusiasts and hence the pushback.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
No.. it's not a terrible thing but for the same amount of money and reliability... wouldn't you want a more exciting car?
Maybe. I don't know. There's not a lot of open road around here so what would be the point? It's all traffic snarls, stop lights/signs, etc.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM

I only used the word "hate" to attract attention to the thread. Please don't make too much of that particular word. Maybe "look down on" would have been better.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Maybe. I don't know. There's not a lot of open road around here so what would be the point? It's all traffic snarls, stop lights/signs, etc.
Well... performance is one aspect of a car. Better audio system? More user friendly navigation? The list goes on and on.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
Quote:
I only used the word "hate" to attract attention to the thread. Please don't make too much of that particular word. Maybe "look down on" would have been better.
Ok...

To be honest with you I couldn't give a monkeys what you drive, it's your money, your choice. Do you like it? Does it serve the purposes you require from it? If the answer to those is "yes" then your probably better off than a fair percentage of car drivers. I'm fairly certain there are more people out there that are unhappy with their cars than are willing to admit, regardless of how 'flash' it might be.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,280,881 times
Quote:
This is directed to you enthusiasts out there. I've been reading a lot of car websites lately. When I get to the comments sections, I see a great deal of derision of people who honestly just want a well-made, decent, reliable vehicle to get where they want to go.

Words like "sheep" and "brainwashed" and "appliance" are thrown around quite a bit, as if being extremely practical and frugal in the choice of a vehicle is a bad thing.

I can respect people who place more value on styling, high-performance and handling, fun-to-drive etc. I get it. I really do.

For me, however, my car is not a love affair. It's a means to an end. I don't need it to give me thrills running up my leg. I just want to have a reasonable assurance that it will work and that I won't spend much time or money in the shop beyond the basic maintenance. Is that such a terrible thing?
Because the majority of appliance car buyers who only buy to go from point A to point B are also generally the cluless drivers. The majority of appliance car drivers going mindlessly from point A to point B ARE the traffic snarls. They didn't buy cars because they enjoyed driving them, and it shows in the way that they drive. And they tend to be the kind of people who make the laws that negatively affect the enthusiast faction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive