Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Burnouts in a Fiat?
The Abarth's turbo engine will definitely let it to smoky burnouts.

Although, even my old Fiat 124 Spider would do burnouts if you dropped the clutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Although, even my old Fiat 124 Spider would do burnouts if you dropped the clutch.

Part tire smoke, part clutch smoke.... lol

Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
A silver 2013 Accord Coupe sounds perfect for her.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Suggest a used Mini-Cooper S. Easy to drive and she will have a blast scaring the crap out of her biddy friends.
Oh, I don't know how reliable these cars are or what the gas mileage is or if it is too low as older people might have a problem getting in and out of low cars, but that retro look and spiffy design might really impress her and she would not see herself coming and going in the selections of all her friends, I'll bet. A house not too far from me might belong to someone in the trade because I constantly see one of four different styles of the Mini Cooper in their driveway and I cannot tell which I like better. They're adorable. I hope she at least goes to a showroom to see these little dreams.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Does a 75-year-old woman know how to do that?

How about this burnout?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If she is only going to drive it to church on Sundays then I would suggest a V-8 Pony car with a six speed or a Zo6 Corvette.

In a couple of years it will be a great buy for somebody looking for a slightly used high performance car "only driven on Sunday by a little old lady"

Maybe she doesn't drive it only to church. Maybe she drives to Las Vegas every chance she gets.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM

57 posts, read 102,057 times
Consider the possibility that she will be dismayed by digital controls and panels, and would feel much more comfortable with a simplistic car with analog and hands-on features.

When my mother was 80, she moved into a new apartment, and never figured out how to work the new-fangled stove.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
Consider the possibility that she will be dismayed by digital controls and panels, and would feel much more comfortable with a simplistic car with analog and hands-on features.

When my mother was 80, she moved into a new apartment, and never figured out how to work the new-fangled stove.
I've been amazed at how some older folks are relatively comfortable with tech. I think a lot of it comes down to how long they were in the workforce and got exposure to things. My parents are 68 and 73 and aren't the most tech literate people in the world, but they don't mind learning. They have always kept one newer car for my mom, but it was usually a very basic model. My dad is still driving a 1993 Dodge Dakota. A little over a year or so ago they bought a loaded 2010 MKZ that has more buttons and features then their last five newer cars combined. They ended up sitting in the car one night with the manual and figured out how everything works and even managed to pair their "senior cell phones" with the Sync system. Though, they are still trying to figure out why anyone would need to program 30 radio stations into the car when all you need is "Oldies 98", lol.

As for the OP, the fact that mom wants a coupe and in that price range, means there aren't all that many options out there. You are pretty much looking at the Accord and Altima in a midsize and the Civic, CR-Z, tC, Forte and Elantra in the compact world. Anything else is more "sporting" and you have the Mini, 500, FR-S, BRZ, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Eclipse and Genesis.

Overall if she really wants something mid-sized her options are pretty much the Accord, Altima and Challenger. Of those, the Challenger would be an interesting choice with the Accord being the safe bet.

If she was willing to go with a sedan, a whole world of good choices opens up in that price range.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Unless she has just got to drive she needs to stop while she is still ahead. why does she HAVE to drive. surely she doesnt have a job to go to.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Unless she has just got to drive she needs to stop while she is still ahead. why does she HAVE to drive. surely she doesnt have a job to go to.
What do you expect her to do, sit at home and wait for others to take her places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive