Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Just curious, how can the city profit from this?
Selling slots for certain low usage streets at certain times. They are already there. Cities could really have a blank check in profit because those racers have money and they won't get arrested. So knowing that they'll pay a small fortune for their vice if it goes unpunished. They might as well do it because no matter how small of a profit you may want to think the cities may get. It's big enough for my local police department and I'm sure it's not the only doing shady deals in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I'm sure what he means is cities are ALREADY profiting from street racers by ticketing, then impounding their vehicles and selling them at auction.
Not as much as you would like to think. Many cities crush the cars and scrap them and get very little if any out of it. Street racing fines are child's play when it comes to people serious racers who do this stuff. I'm not talking about kids. They'll go out and do it again. Sending them to jail only makes the taxpayer pay and for something that can be profitable that's the logic of imbeciles.

Selling them at auction goes for pittance because the market drops for modified vehicles. Plus if they were vehicles raced on the street their value goes down even further because who knows what that car has been through and who knows the quality of the modifications. I remember seeing a 2jz-gte swapped IS300 with 72k miles ultimately sold for $8700 this was back in 2011. They have a PPV value of over $10k now in only good condition and stock.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but the police are losing and it's a losing battle. Perhaps why some officer groups would rather just make a deal with the devil. Extra cash in my pocket and not have to do anything? Yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Let me introduce you to a stupid punk.

Nick Hogan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's a lot smarter now when it comes to street racing.

Street racing is for stupid kids who don't think ahead about the possible consequences and what could happen. You're either a juvenile or have the maturity of one to disagree.
Yep, alcohol totally had nothing to do with it. There is also a consequences in going skydiving, bungee jumping, drinking, owning firearms, flying......... What's your point. I'm a juvenile for seeing an opportunity to exploit rather than to go prohibition? I'm not a juvenile nor do I have the maturity of one but I see money to be had. Track racers are just as stupid as street racers considering the risks. There are consequences in track racing as well. I like how a street racer is stupid but as soon as he steps foot on to a track he is smart. Let us hold a gun to the street racers' head.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 03-12-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 AM

968 posts, read 1,137,676 times
Gotta side with Yellow Jacket once again

It's all dangerous.......

Days of Thunder (Gimme Some Lovin) Cole vs. Rowdy - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Selling slots for certain low usage streets at certain times. They are already there. Cities could really have a blank check in profit because those racers have money and they won't get arrested. So knowing that they'll pay a small fortune for their vice if it goes unpunished. They might as well do it because no matter how small of a profit you may want to think the cities may get. It's big enough for my local police department and I'm sure it's not the only doing shady deals in the US.

Not as much as you would like to think. Many cities crush the cars and scrap them and get very little if any out of it. Street racing fines are child's play when it comes to people serious racers who do this stuff. I'm not talking about kids. They'll go out and do it again. Sending them to jail only makes the taxpayer pay and for something that can be profitable that's the logic of imbeciles.

Selling them at auction goes for pittance because the market drops for modified vehicles. Plus if they were vehicles raced on the street their value goes down even further because who knows what that car has been through and who knows the quality of the modifications. I remember seeing a 2jz-gte swapped IS300 with 72k miles ultimately sold for $8700 this was back in 2011. They have a PPV value of over $10k now in only good condition and stock.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but the police are losing and it's a losing battle. Perhaps why some officer groups would rather just make a deal with the devil. Extra cash in my pocket and not have to do anything? Yes please.
First off, thanks for the informative post! No, I'm not disappointed at all by these facts.
It really doesn't matter what the cars brings in auction. Once an impounded car is sold, the dept. reaps ALL the money as profit. If a 12000 dollar cars sells for 8000 it's ALL profit. Modified, unmodified, wrecked, pretty or ugly it's all the same.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Let me introduce you to a stupid punk.

Nick Hogan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's a lot smarter now when it comes to street racing.

Street racing is for stupid kids who don't think ahead about the possible consequences and what could happen. You're either a juvenile or have the maturity of one to disagree.

+1000 the poster child for street racers.. a punk who doesnt realize hes a punk. And then when he gets a chance in a REAL race/drift car he shows just like with 99.9% of street racers who THINK they can drive/race that its a WHOLE new ball game competing with real drivers that are smart enough to know that if you really want to develop as a driver and actually know what its like to go WFO for more than 10-15 seconds without endangering the public the ONLY place to do it is a track. And also like 99.9% of those punks he also found out he didnt have .01% of the driving "talent" that he thought he did.

Theres a reason why a Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Peter Solberg, Ryan Hunter Reay, John Force, Boris Said, or a Lewis Hamilton started out REAL racing in karts, quarter midgets, mini drags, or autocrossing and NOT street racing. Cause "street racing" is NOT racing. Its just russian rollette for a bunch of self absorbed, ego centric, super immature punks.
What makes a track racer "smarter" than a street racer??. The fact they now CHOOSE not to make the unaware, innocent bystander a victim of their stubborn recklessness by taking the activity off a PUBLIC steet and onto a place specifically designed for such activity which is much safer for everyone.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the post man. We don't need a $2,000,000 sponcor to enjoy it.

Bullitt - Steve McQueen Famous Car Chase - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
First off, thanks for the informative post! No, I'm not disappointed at all by these facts.
It really doesn't matter what the cars brings in auction. Once an impounded car is sold, the dept. reaps ALL the money as profit. If a 12000 dollar cars sells for 8000 it's ALL profit. Modified, unmodified, wrecked, pretty or ugly it's all the same.
It's not all profit. They have to use that towards operation costs and the auction takes a cut. If they can get about half then they are lucky but half isn't enough to sustain the trouble and they aren't impounding too many cars either. Then you have Ontario, CA who I believe is still crushing cars without making money whatsoever.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. Actually, I hope you do. Street racing is something that can be profited by cities. You should be calling politicians stupid for not taking advantage of it already. Continue to throw insults at a group of people from behind a screen and not to their faces. That's not a characteristic of a punk at all. Perhaps if you call them stupid punks directly then they might stop so they can ease your mind.

There is street racing all of the time in a certain abandoned business park in my city and I have no problem with it. The two or 3 streets used are blocked off and you can hear plenty of noise from the cars. The best part of it is that the local police department knows its happening as well and they let them do it. If the city was smart they would get in on it. The money that's going into the officers' pockets could be going into the council's pocket. Life is corrupt and you might as well take advantage of it. Propping yourself on a high horse only makes you look stupid for not getting a piece of the spoils. One big reason for street racing is money. A lot of it changes hands but more tends to change hands when it comes to illegal activity.
I just love it when street racers show up at a road course open track event. They corner like schoolgirls and all you see are brake lights a 1/8 mile before the corners.

Like I said earlier, street racers are punks who know nothing of car control and most drive like girleymen.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RLK45 View Post
Thanks for the post man. We don't need a $2,000,000 sponcor to enjoy it.

You do realize that IS fiction/fantasy right? And that it took DOZENS of professional ie NOT street racers to film. Nevermind tons of engineering, planning, permitting, rehersal, etc etc... and again, PRO drivers who ALL became that way by dedicating themselves to developing and practicing ona track.. NOT by punkasz street racing..... another reason why those jobs go to professionals that keep their sport to a track and NOT non driving, who THINK they can drive rebel street racers..JS

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Yep, alcohol totally had nothing to do with it. There is also a consequences in going skydiving, bungee jumping, drinking, owning firearms, flying......... What's your point. I'm a juvenile for seeing an opportunity to exploit rather than to go prohibition? I'm not a juvenile nor do I have the maturity of one but I see money to be had. Track racers are just as stupid as street racers considering the risks. There are consequences in track racing as well. I like how a street racer is stupid but as soon as he steps foot on to a track he is smart. Let us hold a gun to the street racers' head.
Ah yes. I can see you have a strong grasp of reality.

Let's just look at your own words. You can race on a track, where you might be killed (but the odds are much lower since you'll be wearing a helmet and gear, and no other traffic will be endangered, or, you can street race, where you can be killed, AND take out other innocent people with you, not to mention (your words below)...

Quote:
Many cities crush the cars and scrap them
Quote:
Then you have Ontario, CA who I believe is still crushing cars without making money whatsoever.

So let's see... People can race their cars in as safe a manner as possible, OR, they can do it illegally and possibly injure/kill people/others on the road, and have their car impounded and crushed, losing potentially tens of thousands of dollars.

You're right, street racers are some smart, smart people.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You do realize that IS fiction/fantasy right? And that it took DOZENS of professional ie NOT street racers to film. Nevermind tons of engineering, planning, permitting, rehersal, etc etc... and again, PRO drivers who ALL became that way by dedicating themselves to developing and practicing ona track.. NOT by punkasz street racing..... another reason why those jobs go to professionals that keep their sport to a track and NOT non driving, who THINK they can drive rebel street racers..JS
Fiction this pal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UZ0hXk-3Z7M

Sheryl Crow - Steve McQueen - YouTube

Steve McQueen Mustang Commercial - YouTube

Does your mommy know you want to borrow her mini van?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive