Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times

Advertisements

There is yet another consideration. When cars get old - say, 15 years old - unless they're rare or collectible, their private-party resale value tends towards the negligibly low. The value varies only slightly with their mechanical condition. An ill-maintained jalopy might be $2000, and a cream-puff $2700. The implication is that a dying old car could be replaced with a similar car from Craigslist, but in much better shape. The "new" car could of course be a complete disaster, if there are hidden problems; or it could be a major savings.

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but lazy. Generally I can diagnose problems, but allow them to fester. The consequence is that even preventative-maintenance on old cars, such as the typical timing-belt/water-pump swap every 60K miles, isn't necessarily justified. It might be more cost-effective to neglect maintenance on a cheap old car, watch it die, and then replace it with a similar cheap old car where the previous owner did the timing-belt job. You just need to have enough mechanical-knowledge to smell a lemon.

So the choice isn't limited to keeping one's old car vs. buying new. The additional choice is going through a string of cheap old cars, replacing them as they fail, instead of doing extensive maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
All this talk of car payments. If you keep your car long enough, you can save up the entire amount to buy another car brand new, all cash.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,494,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
All this talk of car payments. If you keep your car long enough, you can save up the entire amount to buy another car brand new, all cash.
Why would someone invest say $20K cash in an investment guaranteed to lose money?

I would rather finance for the lowest rate I possibly could, and leave the rest of the cash invested in something earning north of what I am paying in interest.......

I used to shake my head when I had clients back in the day with $10K in credit card bills at 18% and would be asking me about investments......how about you kill the investment losing 18% per year first......

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
If you have an aging car (say over 10 to 15 years old) and the risk of high repair bills is increasing. At what piont would you trade it in, instead of continue keeping it?
I traded my 10 year old car in when we had a baby and I knew I couldn't tolerate being stranded on the side of the road.
I also have a very long commute and again cannot tolerate being stranded on the side of the road.

If your tolerances and circumstances are different, then you might could keep the car longer.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Hm.
Ok.
Take a 30k car. Bought in 2002.
So, for 10 years, averaging the cost with repairs, tires, etc...probably around $3500 a year.
That's assuming cash paid or zero percent interest.
Averages out to cost of ownership being about 300 bucks a month.

Let's look at a lease. You can get a new car every 3 years. No repairs, likely no new tires ever, and there are a ton of cars you can get for about 300 bucks a month.

Soooooooooo...hmmmm...new car with less hassle and pain and uncertainty every couple of years or some deluded mindset that you're saving thousands and thousands of dollars?

I'm not advocating car payments or even leasing for everyone, but you have to keep a bought car a looooong time to actually save any money.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,501 times
Quote:
That might be a bad idea. Many car dealers offer low financing, like 1.9%. If you have $20,000, it's better to put it in stocks earning even the modest 7% return than paying it all for a car while you can get a much lower financing rate.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hm.
Ok.
Take a 30k car. Bought in 2002.
So, for 10 years, averaging the cost with repairs, tires, etc...probably around $3500 a year.
That's assuming cash paid or zero percent interest.
Averages out to cost of ownership being about 300 bucks a month.

Let's look at a lease. You can get a new car every 3 years. No repairs, likely no new tires ever, and there are a ton of cars you can get for about 300 bucks a month.

Soooooooooo...hmmmm...new car with less hassle and pain and uncertainty every couple of years or some deluded mindset that you're saving thousands and thousands of dollars?

I'm not advocating car payments or even leasing for everyone, but you have to keep a bought car a looooong time to actually save any money.
Your problem is you bought a $30K car. If you bought a $22K Accord or Camry, your monthly payment would be around $250 for five years, and additional 10 to 15 years car payment FREE.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Your problem is you bought a $30K car. If you bought a $22K Accord or Camry, your monthly payment would be around $250 for five years, and additional 10 to 15 years car payment FREE.
Why single out the Accord or Camry? You can do the same with any kind of car.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
If you have an aging car (say over 10 to 15 years old) and the risk of high repair bills is increasing. At what piont would you trade it in, instead of continue keeping it?
This is my thinking:
Multiply you potential car payment by 12 (months). If your yearly repairs do not exceed that amount with your old car you are saving money.
Example: The last car payment I had was $500/mo which is $6000/yr. My annual repairs have yet to exceed that amount. The car used in this example is 20yrs old.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
When either (a) a single repair would cost more than the car would be worth after the repair, or (b) The car has developed a habit of requiring frequent repairs costing more than 15-20 cents per mile on average.

In either case, you spend less over the long run by replacing the car than by repairing it.

Last edited by ncole1; 03-06-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive