Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You've decided? How did you come to that decision? What did your ins company have to say about that? IF it is totaled, you will sign the title, and fedex/ups it to your insurance company
The car is obviously totalled since the frame, two doors, the area near the engine and the rear bumper are all smashed. The car is stuck in drive gear also. Plus the car is ten years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The car is obviously totalled since the frame, two doors, the area near the engine and the rear bumper are all smashed. The car is stuck in drive gear also. Plus the car is ten years old.
Which means nothing until the adjuster sees it. You may very well be correct but it's not your call.

If, in fact, it is totalled you will need to get your title and lien release (if any) to your insurance company. The two cars of mine which were totalled I just took the documents to my local agent.

Also, it may look worse than it is.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Owing money on a 10 year old car? gezz..Hope you dont owe more than it is worth or you will be screwed.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
If it is totalled, be sure to sign and send in the release of liability. In our state it's a brief form attached to the title and costs about $5. It's filed with the DMV and is separate from signing off the title/ownership. It protects you as once you sign the car away, you can never be sure what happens to it (someone COULD still put it back on the road) and you'd not want to be connected to the title in any way going forward.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
I was just in an accident and most of the left side of my car was damaged, and the ignition key could not be turned or removed. I was uninjured. It's possible that the accident was my fault. The area around the engine looked undamaged. No glass was broken but the left front door no longer fits into the car.
Is there a police report? Does it indicate you were at fault? Were you issued a citation for something like failing to yield the right of way, running a stop sign, or going through a red light? If so, you are almost certainly at fault. If not, I'd want to know more about it.

Quote:
I was driving through an intersection and somebody hit me at a right angle. Their car had less damage than mine but had to be towed also. I failed to get their name/info because they left.
Did they just take off without speaking to you? What's the story here?

Quote:
If the car can be repaired, will my insurance company pay for all / most of the repair costs?
If the cost of the repair is less than the total loss value of your vehicle they will pay to repair the car. (If you have collision coverage)

Quote:
What percentage of the repair costs will they usually pay?
If you have collision coverage, you will be paid 100% minus your deductible.

Quote:
If the car is totalled, and I buy a new car, will my insurance pay for the new car at all?
If you have collision coverage, you will be paid the total loss value of your car minus the deductible. You can use this money to purchase a new vehicle.

Quote:
I called my insurance agent and he said that an adjuster will go to the tow place to look at my car and then call me. If it can be repaired I guess I will have to pay the two place to take the car to the dealer. How much does the tow place usually charge?
Very often you are not charged for this. If you are, charges should be reasonable, unless the tow distance is unusually long.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
If it is totalled, be sure to sign and send in the release of liability. In our state it's a brief form attached to the title and costs about $5. It's filed with the DMV and is separate from signing off the title/ownership. It protects you as once you sign the car away, you can never be sure what happens to it (someone COULD still put it back on the road) and you'd not want to be connected to the title in any way going forward.
I sign the title itself and send it to the insurance company, is that right?

I'll confirm this also with the insurance company itself, of course.

I know I send the Release of Liability to the state DMV.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have collision insurance with a deductible.

My main confusion is, will the insurance company give me a certain amount regardless of whether I repair it or buy a totally new car.
The amount of money they pay out is determined by the amount of damage to the car, not by what you intend to do with the payout money. What you do with it is up to you. That said, if you have a loan on the car, the check is made out to you and the lienholder, and if you intend to buy a new car when the current one is repairable, you'll need to buy out the remaining portion of the loan.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM

162 posts, read 381,333 times
I have a headache reading this....

Ok you don't get to decide if the vehicle is totaled. Your insurance company does. This is when you need to pull out your outline of coverage and determine what you have.

How did you not get the name and number of that person? IF they got a tow they obviously didn't hit and run since tow trucks don't appear out of nowhere...

How is it possibly your fault? Did you run a light or stop sign? Who was more in the intersection?

You need to visit Kelly Blue Book and estimate the cost (in FAIR condition) of your vehicle

You MAY need to pay your deductible since you don't have any info on the other driver (thus your insurance company couldn't go after them...)

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

The insurance place told me to tow the car to a "preferred body shop" so I did, on Friday afternoon.
Yesterday (Monday) the adjuster called and asked me details about the accident, and she's waiting for someone to send photos of the car from the body shop. I don't know if someone from the insurance is going to physically look at the car.

If you had the same experience, how long did it take them?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
depends on the work load of the shop, but its usually 2-3 business days, not counting the day it go there. Shop should look at it by wednesday, send the info to the insurance company by thursday, and they should call you by friday. Assuming no problems or delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive