Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Hybrids Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish?
Penny Wise 11 20.00%
Dollar Foolish 33 60.00%
Don't know 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

We have one of the earliest Priuses. Its a 01' Model and so far its been a good car and gets around 45 MPG in real world driving. Its approaching 160,000 miles. So given its age and the mileage, it has worked out to be the same in terms of the amount of service and reliability we've had out of other Toyotas.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Of course, one of the by-products of that is the reverse, a certain air of superiority and indignant hatred by NON hybrid owners when discussing hybrids or EVs. I own fun cars AND an EV, and see it first hand here now. there such an emotional investment in theri non-hybrid beater that they think thet anyone buying anythng newer that 10 years old and or a hybrid/EV is simply throwing money away, as if there weren't any other reason to be buying a new car.

Nothing wrong with preferring a cheap older car that's paid off. But quit being insulting about those of us that choose differently.

I've had new and old and buy what I want. This time around it's a Volt and it does exactly what I ask of it: commutes all week long and runs errands without using any gasoline whatsoever. Leaving the gas for the fun cars and pleasure driving (which I do in the Volt as well).
I second that. People will always strongly defend their decisions and lifestyles, no matter what they are. Some hybrid owners are smug. So are some drivers of raised pick up trucks. Hipsters can be annoying, bro's can be annoying. People with kids who pity those without are annoying; people without kids who pity those who have them are annoying.

Regarding hybrids, I have no idea why I'd waste my time begrudging anyone's decisions when it results in less exhaust for me breathe, lower GHG emissions, and lower imports of foreign oil. I'm also not into skinny jeans or ironic mustaches, but I have no problem with the hipsters in my neighborhood who ride bikes everywhere and support local businesses.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Hybrids seem to be one of the least understood types of cars out there. To me its simply a continuation of automotive technology. Yet people politicize them. Technically, all they are is a drivetrain with a battery that contributes to the car's locomotion via an electric motor coupled to the transmission, or in some of the newer cars, electric motors that power the wheels- much the same way that diesel electric trains work.

But I remember when people would claim that the battery in our car would fail in 2 years and cost $10,000. Well 12 years later its still holding up and a new one would be about $2,500, which sounds steep, but has anyone priced how much a new transmission costs? And that's just it. People seem to have no issue with a car that might possibly have a transmission failure at some point. The risk for mechanical or electrical failures are existent with any vehicle out there and most accept that risk mainly because the manufactures provides an adequate warranty- which you also get with all the hybrids as well. So in that case, who is it that something like a transmission failure- which does happen, and could cost many thousands of dollars to repair overlooked while hybrid batteries are expected to last indefinitely? Nothing lasts forever and to put that level of expectation on a battery is like claiming that your transmission will also last forever and ever.

I've also never really seen or heard hybrid owners act 'smug' about their cars. I can tell you firsthand that our car is about as boring as they come. Most who drive them are probably like us- in that we have commutes and need a beater vehicle to get us back and forth and do so cheaper. We drive around 35,000-40,000 a year and when you have something that gets 45MPG versus the other car we have, which got a respectable 27 MPG, then that cost in fuel difference really adds up after awhile.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

170 posts, read 316,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Hybrids seem to be one of the least understood types of cars out there. To me its simply a continuation of automotive technology. Yet people politicize them. Technically, all they are is a drivetrain with a battery that contributes to the car's locomotion via an electric motor coupled to the transmission, or in some of the newer cars, electric motors that power the wheels- much the same way that diesel electric trains work.

But I remember when people would claim that the battery in our car would fail in 2 years and cost $10,000. Well 12 years later its still holding up and a new one would be about $2,500, which sounds steep, but has anyone priced how much a new transmission costs? And that's just it. People seem to have no issue with a car that might possibly have a transmission failure at some point. The risk for mechanical or electrical failures are existent with any vehicle out there and most accept that risk mainly because the manufactures provides an adequate warranty- which you also get with all the hybrids as well. So in that case, who is it that something like a transmission failure- which does happen, and could cost many thousands of dollars to repair overlooked while hybrid batteries are expected to last indefinitely? Nothing lasts forever and to put that level of expectation on a battery is like claiming that your transmission will also last forever and ever.

I've also never really seen or heard hybrid owners act 'smug' about their cars. I can tell you firsthand that our car is about as boring as they come. Most who drive them are probably like us- in that we have commutes and need a beater vehicle to get us back and forth and do so cheaper. We drive around 35,000-40,000 a year and when you have something that gets 45MPG versus the other car we have, which got a respectable 27 MPG, then that cost in fuel difference really adds up after awhile.
Very well said. I think the "smug" stereotype is wearing off. I see everyone driving a hybrid and they treat it as a regular car. The smug were probably a small % of the early owners of a hybrid vehicle who made a big deal out of it.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i just did some quick online calculator use and it does not seem to work out as a money saving proposition for me even though i drive around 20k miles a year.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i just did some quick online calculator use and it does not seem to work out as a money saving proposition for me even though i drive around 20k miles a year.
It depends on what your alternatives would be.

We wanted fully loaded cars and decision to go with hybrid was no brainer. I also did quick calculations on how much we have saved by choosing hybrids and the total saving is more than one of the cars!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Which vehicle compared to which?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, one of the peculiar complaints often heard about hybrids, is a certain air of "smugness" and snotty condescension, particularly among Prius owners. And the comments of many of the hybrid owners even here, obviously seem to be no exception. So with such a huge ''emotional investment'' in their "toy", is it possible that most hybrid owners aren't even capable of an ''objective opinion'' re: the OP (which might explain so much conflicting information about hybrids in general)?

Perhaps you are right but the car you drive is never simply an objective decision anyway. Thats why we have so many choices in cars. We own a 2012 Fusion hybrid that replaced a MB C class car that my wife didnt like. The Benz bugged her from the beginning, only averaging 19mpg. It upset her liberal tendancies after owning a VW diesel Beetle for 10 years. The Fusion has leather and nav, roomy and is averaging 36 mpg. Was it a good economic decision? Maybe not, but she feels good driving the car and gets a kick out of how the trip computer display fuel used and mpg after every trip.

As far as reliablity, hybrids as a whole are proving to be very reliable. The Ford rep claims only 2 defective battery packs have cropped up nationwide so far. In CA, we get a 10yr/150k mile warranty on hybrid parts and battery.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Which vehicle compared to which?
well, i compared a forester to the prius v. i think it said it would save me about 113 a month in gas. the price difference for purchasing makes the prius about 5k more expensive. so that 113 a month isnt really so wonderful. also, i dont think id get a car without awd, so now if i want a hybrid suv the options are even more pricey.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The Forester is very well suited for robust service and EZ in and out for seniors and tall folks.

I would expect a 'low rider /cruiser' hybrid would be difficult in NJ climate.

SUV (electric) hybrid seems to be a contradiction in utility.. our Rural Electrical inspectors had them for awhile and I had to tow more than a few of them out of steep driveways, they were just too whimpy and didn't have the available power to climb out of muddy / steep routes in COLD weather. So... Hitched her up to the $3000, 8,000# Dodge Cummins w/ 500k miles that got BETTER mileage than the Hybrid on FREE fuel with no / minimal emissions, and yanked it up to the pavement. The inspectors really screamed at mgmt until they let them drive their old beater 6 cyl Jeeps again.

Hybrid is good for some things, painful for others. I seldom take my semi truck grocery shopping or to church.

Another GREAT use for Hybrids is employed as Flex Cars (Zip cars). More time on the road = BETTER for product development and benefits of hybrid. I have had 3 chances to rent them in last month, but declined, as my rental cars (at the moment) sit for 23.5 hrs / day). I enjoy the economy and fun of the Focus and Yaris. 38 - 42 MPG WITH automatics, that is pretty good!

I am waiting for HHV's (Austraila is currently king of that sandpile, but they have FEW Mtns and STEEP cities. THAT is where we need the HHV's). I hate brake dust! It can't be good for you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive