Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times

Advertisements

If the trooper wanted you out of the way, he would have flashed his lights at you. If he wasn't, he should be considered as any other car on the road. The only thing that made you speed up was your insecurity to get away from a LEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
This happened when I was a teenager.... I was on a back road with no other cars on the road going the speed limit (I drove a GEO Storm at the time), I saw a car approaching me from behind in the distance and soon they were tailgating me. They did not pass me and it made me uncomfortable after a couple of miles so I sped up. As I sped up the car stuck with me and then I saw lights. It was a cop and he pulled me over. I asked why he pulled me over and he said because I was speeding. I told him I did not know who was behind me and and it made me uncomfortable and he said that doesnt give me the right to speed. Well the only reason I sped was because he was tailgating me and he had ample opportunity to pass....ugg. I was a teenager so I just paid the ticket and moved on but I always wonder about situations like that.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
deleted

Last edited by Retroit; 03-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: just realize this was already said.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
Here is a good one from years back-----------I was driving to work on a deserted state hwy at 2:30 AM mid week. ( My job started at 3:am)

In my rearview mirror I see a car with one headlight ( on bright) approaching very fast. He got tight on my bumper and that one high beam headlight was blinding me from behind.

I slowed to 50, he slowed to 50
I dropped to 40, he dropped to 40

Back to 55, he went back to 55 always tight on my bumper.

I was approaching a small town and suddenly he dropped way back. Once thru the town it started all over again. I was alone in the car and getting quite concerned. I realized at the edge of the next bigger town was a 24/7 truck stop and I would pull in and call the highway patrol.

I sped up to 60.......65..........then the flashing light came on.
That jerk tailgating me for 15 miles with one headlight on bright was a Minnesota State HWY Patrolman !

The big tall guy laughed when I told him he scared me half to death on that deserted hwy.
I got a ticket and took it to court ( no lawyer)

Three times my court date got changed by the Hwy Patrolman.
On the fourth date, I appeared and he didn't so the judge ordered the patrollman be called and we delay for 30 minutes.

I told the judge this was the 4th time I had a court date and time and it got changed/delayed due to him.

Judge said-------------"Case dismissed"

I never forgot the name of that Minnesota state Highway Patrolman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Did you know some squads are tricked out with switches that let the officer select different light combinations?
Some can black out their tail lights,some turn off headlights or turn on just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post

That jerk tailgating me for 15 miles with one headlight on bright was a Minnesota State HWY Patrolman !

The big tall guy laughed when I told him he scared me half to death on that deserted hwy.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
I probably would have done the same thing, but not exceeded more than 15 over. Preferably, would have kept it under 10 over.

The left lane is generally for passing, so you need to speed up some to overtake the car you're passing. Hanging out in the left lane and barely going faster than the car you're passing isn't what I would consider good road manners. You have every right to not exceed the speed limit, but this sometimes creates very aggravated folks behind you. I'd rather err to the safe side by getting around the car I want to pass, then get out of the way for others going faster.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If the trooper wanted you out of the way, he would have flashed his lights at you. If he wasn't, he should be considered as any other car on the road. The only thing that made you speed up was your insecurity to get away from a LEO.
no, he indicated that he wanted him out of the way by driving right on his rear end. the LEO was abusing his position and he fully expected the person in front of him to move and he wanted him to move. he knows that he doesnt need to put his lights on to get someone in front of him to move.

lets pretend we live in the real world and not fantasy land.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Did you know some squads are tricked out with switches that let the officer select different light combinations?
Some can black out their tail lights,some turn off headlights or turn on just one.

Most likely " Minnesota's finest" simply had a burned out headlight but didn't want that to interfere with his writing tickets.

Strange that he was such a brave man writing that ticket but scared to show up in court to defend his actions !

Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
2 quick stories.

1) I was driving on a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each direction). Doing about 60 (speed limit is 45). I eventually caught up to 2 crown vics (completely unmarked blacked out police cars) and followed along with them. 2 other cars joined our group and we all got up to about 70 after 20 minutes. All of a sudden, one of the crown vics changes lanes very aggressively, stomps on the brakes and gets behind me with his lights on. OK, no problem, I pull over. After I show him my docs he asks me why I was speeding. I explained that I didnt realize I was and was simply following along with the flow of traffic. He goes on to tell me what the speed limit really is and what a safety hazard it is and blah blah blah giving me the typical cop attitude. I very nicely reminded him that I was just following behind HIM and if it was so dangerous then why was he driving so fast as well. Especially without his lights on! I was given my docs back and told to have a nice day.

2) Driving home around midnight from a VERY long day at the office. Right lane of a 4 lane highway again, other cars around me, cruise control set to 70 (65mph speed limit). Charger pulls up behind me riding my bumper. No problem, I slow down to 60. Still there after a minute or so, I slow down to 50. Few more seconds and I slow down to 40 all without touching the brakes. Finally at 35 his lights come on. OK, I pull over to the shoulder. Showed him my docs and he asked why I was driving so slowly. I said I had done so to get the *expletive* who was tailgating me off my butt. If they were in so much of a hurry they should have gone around me. He explained that I should have moved over and that he was the *expletive* behind me. I suggested that he go back to driving school to learn that in NJ you only move into the left lane to pass. Got a ticket for driving too slowly on a highway. Went to court, cop didn't show. Judge asked me what happened. Case dismissed.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
on my way home today, i noticed a cop suv all up in the guys nuts in front of him in the left lane. he didnt use his lights, but it was very obvious he wanted the guy to move. just by getting right on his rear and and wiggling a bit, its pretty clear. sure enough, the guy moved over squeezing in between a truck and car next to him.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive