Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times

Advertisements

I just think its safe to assume any redesign of a big selling car like that is going to have a modern transmission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Yaris is crude and unpleasant? then why do i get compliments from everybody asking me how much I paid, how fast, etc? they really did a lot of upgrade on the 2012 and the fit and finish is superb. i have the base model and it looks like the deluxe models. the only drawbacks are the buzzy exhaust drone and some harshness on rough roads. but on smooth roads it almost rides like a RAV 4 and feels like one in the driver's seat

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
1. Four speeds in the Corolla is just fine. The average Corolla buyer won't care or even notice the difference. Besides, it's a proven unit with proven durability, and Corolla buyers care more about that than having more gears to go bad.
2. Yaris is very short on front legroom. Corolla and Fit aren't that good with front legroom, either.
3. Yaris might be down a bit on resale but should be easy to sell.
4. Fit and Yaris come from Japan, if anyone cares. Some Corollas, too, but most of ours come from Canada.
5. Scion xD is a bit nicer than Yaris for only slightly more $$$, has 1.8 engine, same as Corolla.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM

408 posts, read 998,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My sister-in-law is considering buying a new car. She's narrowed down her choices to those three (Fit, Yaris, Corolla).

Has to have an automatic (or CVT) transmission. She's not interested in super performance, leather seats, or other high-end toys. Wants good, reliable, economical transportation.

Have any of you done comparisons between any two of them? Or tried any particular one?

Do you have any particular good (or bad) things to say about them? What would you recommend?
I have a Scion xD which has the same engine as the Corolla. It's smooth-revving and hasn't given me any surprises yet, but admittedly the car is completely different from the Corolla and therefore will handle differently. I think it should be fairly reliable.

I rented a 2012 Yaris in Georgia for a week and drove several hundred miles. I was left unimpressed, but it was a decently capable car. I would never buy one because it was so forgettable; it was such a boring, forgettable car. Worrisome was how the center console (where the hand brake was) became heated from long highway drives, but remember this was a rental car so I'm not sure what the problem was there...For me, if I'm going to spend 14K +, the car should hold at least some sort of interest for me, even if it is only for commuting. Interior quality was OK, and the design was functional.

Has she test driven the vehicles yet? What are her preferences, so far?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM

33 posts, read 80,468 times
I drive a 5 speed Yaris (2013). I thought the Honda Fit was overpriced and fuel economy is poorer. I also hear it does not handle that well (not like they use to). I think that the Yaris does not need a 5 speed automatic, it gets good gas mileage with just four gears. I would choose the Corolla if I wanted better performance, but the Yaris for gas mileage. I'm getting 38-40 MPG per tank (not broke in yet). I usually get 40 mpg going to work and 45-52 mpg going home (its more down hill). If I downshift and rev the engine a bit it pulls pretty good. It's not going to win any races.

The Kia Rio is also a good choice, but reliability is not so great. 60k timing belt change intervals (no timing belt on the Toyota). The Yaris is really hard to beat for total cost of ownership.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 AM

amdkt7 do you have the basic or deluxe Yaris? I have a 2012 L 2 door, white. i try my best to keep it in showroom condition. this is my 3rd subcompact Toyota since 1988

Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM

33 posts, read 80,468 times
I have the basic L, with the manual. I love the silver color, shows less dirt, yet helps keep the heat out from the sun. Mine will get beat around a little, carrying muddy hikers. I don't expect it to be showroom condition, although I will walk quite a ways from a safe parking spot.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM

parking it on the street of the North Bronx, NY Ive already used touch up paint on the bumpers several times due to parking nicks. it's a great car for urban driving

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
The wife picked a Yaris rental yesterday due to a wreck she was involved in a few days ago. We picked it up across town, and when we got home, she jumped out, and her first words were, "this car is the biggest piece of crap ever." Keep in mind, she's not really a car person so to speak, therefore she isnt saying she dont like it because it isnt fast, doesnt handle well, etc like a car enthusiast would. She hated the way it rode, too much noise, wasnt comfy, the dash design is ridiculous. I'm sure it's reliable and will get decent mileage, but that would be about all it's good for.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times
I rented a Yaris for 2 weeks and I was very disappointed. It felt very cheap, I would never buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive