Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Really, both are or can be someones personal property be it a car or business.
A business is a possession like a car is.

Do you have to go into a business that allows smoking, no
We still enacted laws to regulate smoking in them anyway.

Keep your car off of the public streets and you can smoke in it with your kids.

You see the streets are a public place too.
Yes a business is a possession just like a car.
However, a person's car is not open to the public. When was the last time you entered a total stranger's car on purpose and without permission? If you did, I am surprised they did not call the cops on you as most likely, they don't want you in their car. As opposed to a business, they want you to be in their establishment hence open to the public. A personal car is NOT open to the public. There is no welcome sign on a personal car.

As far is second hand smoke is concerned in open air, read the following article. It basically saids that in open air, although smoke dissipates into the air quickly, you would be safe to be at least 6 feet from a smoker. At 2 feet away even in open air, you are exposed.

So, for you non smokers out there, if you see someone smoking outside stay at least 6 feet away if you are concerned about second hand smoking. Don't walk up right next to them and whine about second hand smoking. That's just stupidity and you are asking for trouble.

To the smokers, try be considerate and try to stay at least 6 feet away from other people even in open air.

Exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in outdoor settings a risk, study shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM

361 posts, read 748,402 times
Only when I am on fire.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
You're knowledge of business, business model(s) is narrow and limited.
The public does not get unbridled access to any privately owned business.
Not all business are accessible or open to the public, only employes have access.
Kind of like your car, only you can give permission who can be inside.
Yet, they write these laws limiting the activities that take place in side of them, even in your home.

I do not allow smoking in any of our plow-trucks ether.
Also no riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Yes a business is a possession just like a car.
However, a person's car is not open to the public. When was the last time you entered a total stranger's car on purpose and without permission? If you did, I am surprised they did not call the cops on you as most likely, they don't want you in their car. As opposed to a business, they want you to be in their establishment hence open to the public. A personal car is NOT open to the public. There is no welcome sign on a personal car.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Quote:
You're knowledge of business, business model(s) is narrow and limited.
The public does not get unbridled access to any privately owned business.
Not all business are accessible or open to the public, only employes have access.
Kind of like your car, only you can give permission who can be inside.
The purpose of laws to ban smoking in business was primarily to protect clients/customers AND the employees from second hand smoking. Even in homes like apartments, I believe they are trying make into law to prohibit smoking or they already have and the reason for this was to protect the adjacent neighbors as smoke can and will sip into the adjacent units thru cracks, ducts and etc.

Unless you live in NYC and/or under Bloomberg administration, for example his move to restrict sugary beverages, I can't see how smoking laws will go into affect for a single detached home or a personal car.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:

That bar or restaurant is someones property too just like a car is and smoking is banned in those business just like in a car with minors riding along.

"
Actually you are incorrect. Every state that bans smoking in restaurants offers a method for said establishment to become exempt like becoming a "private" club or by selling cigars.

Some bars and restaurants choose to but MOST choose to get the larger share of customers and do not.

As private property the absolutely have this right.

But who smokes WHILE they eat???

Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You mean like the 3 posts directly above you? When I smoked, yes I smoked in the car. widnows/sunroof open, ozone in the vents and the smell never stuck around
wishful thinking

Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I used to sell cars smokers would come in with their stinking trade ins and some were really bad. Most of them would get whole saled some we would keep and put a ozone machine in overnight and it would usually take care of the smell. My sister is a smoker and her car stinks and if she leaves anything in the car for a few days it takes on the odor. Being a non smoker I'm very sensitive to it and it is gross.
Cars that stink like smoke do fetch less money when they are traded in.
Ozone machines don't eliminate it. It helps but it doesn't eliminate it. And if the car has cloth seats, nothing is going to get rid of that smell. Non-smokers in particular are sensitive to it and can notice it. If youve been around smoke a lot like your sister, you are probably desensitized to the smell somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post

Just because, my grandparents, still alive and well, late 80's, smoked and drank all their lives both have not smoking related illness. Smoking does not hurt and kill everybody!
Your grandparents are rare. Just because some people win a million dollars when they buy a lottery ticket doesn't meaning buying a lottery ticket is going to get you a million dollars. The overwhelming majority of chronic smokers will develop some type of chronic illness whether it's heart disease, peripheral vascular disease or COPD etc. People only see cancer but let's say you don't get cancer, do you still think it's fun to be carrying around an oxygen tank with you the rest of your life from COPD? What about quality of life? You think it's fun being in your 70's carrying an oxygen tank wherever you go? Ask those late 50's and early 60's who look and have the health of someone in their 80's because of their COPD and chronic bronchitis who get hospitalized for pneumonia multiple times a year. Yeah, they didn't get cancer, ask those people how fun their life is.

And what most people like you don't know is smoking causes much more than lung and oral cancer. It increases your risk of other cancers like breast cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, melanoma and other skin cancers. It increases your risk of developing coronary artery disease and stroke. It raises your blood pressure which leads to a lot of other ailments like congestive heart failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
For what ever reason, some people resist the negative effects of smoking better than others. Maybe moderation is the key, I really can't believe there are too many two packs a day smokers that get to live long enough to retire.
They didn't get cancer but what they don't tell you is they have COPD and are on oxygen or may have suffered a heart attack or have CAD with stents placed in their heart or they had bypass. Quality of life is as important as length. What does it matter if you live into your late 80's if your quality of life sucks. Yeah you didn't get lung cancer but you suffered in another way. I don't know of ANY chronic smokers who have a good quality of life. I know people who have smoked cigars since they were 13 but they have bad COPD and were hospitalized for pneumonia and can't engage in most activities you and I take for granted

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-15-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Snofarmer, again I will ask you to get over yourself and relax. Oh, and learn how to read too...

You want to be a tough guy because you dont like my would be reaction to a hypothetical scene? How would you feel if some vegan on a mission came up to you with an attitude while you were eating a steak and started complaining and putting you down for being a filthy carnivore? Since you are such a tough guy, you probably would not react too kindly. I DID say that if I was asked nicely I might comply with a request to move and or put out my cigarette. But you apparently missed that part and focused on getting your panties ruffled buy a puff of smoke. I can guarantee if you reacted the way you claim you would in front of the wrong person, you will most definitely get more than you asked fro in return.

I never brought up smoking in enclosed public spaces, you did. I have no problems NOT smoking indoors, I prefer it that way. No-one is talking about infringing on anyone else's actions or rights but you. We get it, you don't like smoking and or people who smoke. The very simple solution is to simply stay away from them. I don't like rude arrogant *people* so I do my best to not fraternize with them. I don't make them change how they act around me. But you don't see the difference do you?

My stance from my first post in this thread has been, live and let live.
Your stance seems to be, if people don't do what you think is the right thing to do then, you have the right to do whatever it is you have to to make them comply.

Sorry dude, you don't. The nanny state antics of people like you is what is ruining this country.

--EDIT--
Now that the 2 of us have COMPLETELY derailed this thread, I'm bailing out. You can direct message me if you want to keep trying to tell me what I can and cant do.

Last edited by RobRiguez; 03-15-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,986 times
Yes I do and I keep Halls and perfume for the after bad smell of the cigarette.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
St. Paul, Minn. — The bill prohibits smoking in any motor vehicle when a child under age 18 is on board. Violators would face a fine of up to $100.
Far too lenient in my opinion, If you want to smoke, it's your right, I'm perfectly OK with it, just don't smoke around me. Children on the other hand have no choice, not to mention it takes a lot less harmful chemicals to affect children than adults. Parents that get caught smoking in a car with there children inside need to have DYFS take a good hard look at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive