Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times

Advertisements

I was at a traffic light the other day and saw a guy smoking a cigar in a BMW, and thought he's destroying that car. So it had me thinking how many people smoke in there car. Personally it I would never buy a used car where someone smoked in it. It destroys the resale value, you could get another smell to overpower it, but with the other smell wears off the smoking smell will always come back. Also it's impossible to clean the rugs and seats of the smoke smell, short of replacing everything made of cloth material inside the car, cleaning the cars ventilation system the smell is impossible to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Smokers are disgusting no matter where they do it.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
I don't smoke, so the question doesn't apply. But, I had a friend that bought a 2 yr. old F150 Platinum truck that someone had smoked in. This is a very nice vehicle, probably right at $50k new. He thought they would be able to get rid of the smell, but it never went away and he traded it in 3 months later.

I think smoking is disgusting, but it's none of my business what people do or what they do in their cars. Wish they wouldn't throw their butts out in the road though. In a lot of places it's considered littering.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Not only the smell, but the smoke will turn everything a dingy yellow, especially the headliner.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
In spite of all the anti-tobacco morons if I want to smoke my pipe in my truck I will enjoy a pipe or two to hell with the rest of the world and nannies that populate it. They can bugger off.........

Do I worry about re-sale value? Hell, no! I drive what I own until "the wheels fall off". Does my truck smell inside of tobacco? No since pipe tobacco doesn't stink.

Oh yes, I predict that this thread will fill up with anti-tobacco morons adding their 2 cents on how much they hate the smell of smoking. That's not the topic which they will all overlook!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
In spite of all the anti-tobacco morons if I want to smoke my pipe in my truck I will enjoy a pipe or two to hell with the rest of the world and nannies that populate it. They can bugger off.........

Do I worry about re-sale value? Hell, no! I drive what I own until "the wheels fall off". Does my truck smell inside of tobacco? No since pipe tobacco doesn't stink.

Oh yes, I predict that this thread will fill up with anti-tobacco morons adding their 2 cents on how much they hate the smell of smoking. That's not the topic which they will all overlook!
You mean like the 3 posts directly above you? When I smoked, yes I smoked in the car. widnows/sunroof open, ozone in the vents and the smell never stuck around

Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
In spite of all the anti-tobacco morons
Have fun with the throat and mouth, and lung cancer.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
When I used to sell cars smokers would come in with their stinking trade ins and some were really bad. Most of them would get whole saled some we would keep and put a ozone machine in overnight and it would usually take care of the smell. My sister is a smoker and her car stinks and if she leaves anything in the car for a few days it takes on the odor. Being a non smoker I'm very sensitive to it and it is gross.
Cars that stink like smoke do fetch less money when they are traded in.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
I am not a smoker but don't mind if someone wants to smoke in my car. It helps that I have leather seats because 1) there is less material that can absorb the smell and 2) I don't have to worry about burns on the seats. Plus the weather here is usually great so I almost always have my windows down and sunroof open so most of the smoke goes right out the windows....and the things usually being smoked in my car are not cigarettes anyway and don't have the stinky smoke like tobacco does . I haven't noticed a bad smell but maybe someone who is never around smoke could.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Cars that stink like smoke do fetch less money when they are traded in.
Any idea how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
... so I almost always have my windows down and sunroof open so most of the smoke goes right out the windows....
I'm sure this helps, but you have to remember smoke is a gas, it gets into everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Most of them would get wholesaled some we would keep and put a ozone machine in overnight and it would usually take care of the smell.
It may have covered up the smell in the short run, but eventfully the smell would return. (probably after you sold the car) Unless your ripping out anything cloth related, cleaning all the surfaces and replacing them, the smoking smell always comes back, maybe not as strong, but it's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive