Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times

Advertisements

Never buy a $100,000 car that depreciates $80,000 in only 10 years.
Don't walk run from these cars:
Mercedes Benz S Class,jaguar S-type,Range Rovers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
As a now retired mechanic and former owner of a SL did a cam repair for $1000 and my own labor......plus the specialty tools needed....I'd PASS on this one.

Remember a RR is still a RR regardless of age and the costs of repairs do not decrease with age.....same with MB.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM

103 posts, read 325,890 times
Get a g8 gxp! I remembered when they first came out, I was in high school and wanted a g8 gt soo bad! They are really nice cars, test drove a g8 gt and had a blast

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Get a g8 gxp! I remembered when they first came out, I was in high school and wanted a g8 gt soo bad! They are really nice cars, test drove a g8 gt and had a blast
Still looking for the right one. Has to be manual transmission, must have a sunroof. Cannot be white. Cannot be a smokers car. I do not want one modified by some kid with a set of screwdrivers and three friends who "know" how to work on cars.

Funny thing is the last one is proving the most limiting.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Because if he is transporting clients, they probably wouldn't want to be in the back of a cop car
l

Lincoln Town Car seats, bolt right in

Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
For $30k get a slightly used 2012 Chrysler 300c AWD. Crazy to get a 3+ old Holden that doesn't have half the Luxury a 300 has. Or a 2012 SHO. A $500 tune from a reputable MI company will make it a high 12 second car. Built in USA unlike G8, which matters if you work with UAW in any way.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
For $30k get a slightly used 2012 Chrysler 300c AWD. Crazy to get a 3+ old Holden that doesn't have half the Luxury a 300 has. Or a 2012 SHO. A $500 tune from a reputable MI company will make it a high 12 second car. Built in USA unlike G8, which matters if you work with UAW in any way.
Very good options. I'd go with the RWD 300C if possible and a flashed SHO will surprise a lot of people. As good as the G8 was I can't say its a better option than those two cars.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM

2013 Ford Taurus SHO AWD

Lowest used 2013 SHO I've seen so far. Asking $34k with 6k miles. Get it down to $32k and do it! Hard to find a 2010 with decent miles for less than $30k still.

Does the G8 have AWD, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, rear heated seats, 8" touch screen navigation/backup cam, push button start, power/me and a warranty? Hell, I'm pretty sure the G8 GXP doesn't even have HID headlights or seat memory.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-15-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Why?:

1. GXP is much faster, handles better and is more fun to drive. 2013 Ford Taurus SHO comes up short on the fun factor

2. For a Sedan, GXP has some decent syling. The SHO is a Taurus (ugly and boring IMO). The 300 styling is also bland and not quite as ugly as Taurus. Charger Styling is much better than Taurus or 300, but still not really a match for the G8 (IMO). Charger comes close, it is a nice looking car. It is however extremely common and at present the alternate vehicle for soccer moms who do not want a grand caravan or Cherokee. Not a killer issue, but a factor. Lots of little things factor into a car choice. Some are miniscule factors, but still factors.

3. Taurus and Charger are common. I do nto know how common the 300 is. (I do not notice them, so I guess the 300 is probably the most bland). G8 is an unusual car. I like unusual cars.

4. Manual transmission is mandatory. That is why I am looking for a GXP rather than a much cheaper and easy to find GT. Neither Taurus not Charger offer manual in AWD models and AWD would be the only reason for me to consider either over a G8.

5. I prefer V-8s

6. The G8 has remarkable space and comfort in the back seats. I will be using the back seats for people, which is why I am downgrading to a sedan in the first place.

7. Despite their new quality imprvements, We have a lot of Fords they all seem to have the same problems (transmission, power steering pump, ignition switch, shocks). I am a little leery of them although I really should not be. The new Fords are not necessarily linked to the old, but do they still ahve the same suppliers for items like power steering pumps? The same is true for Chrysler. Theya re evenmore notoriaious for QC problems. I understand and believe they have it licked, but it is not yet tested by time.

The AWD is a real draw to me though. That is why I am also still considering a Charger AWD. If Ford put that twin turbo ecoboost engine in a new Fusion and beefed up the suspension, it would get my attention. That is a really nice looking car. Looks like a copy of a DB9.

I do prefer USA made cars. However with the G8 being so rare, it is unlikely most people will have any idea where it was made. They did not seem to have a problem with my Camaro which was assembled in Canada.

My biggest concern with the G8 is how it will handle in snow and ice. The fact it has equally balanced weight on all four wheels should help quite a bit. With snow tires, it is supposed to do reasonably well. Even though I will eventually get a 4x4 truck for winter, I do not need another summer only car. Around here, you are going to get caught out in the snow unless you only drive a car May to the end of September. Yesterday is a perfect example. 50 somehting through the morning. Not a spec of snow anywhere. Last night it dropeed to 28 and we got what looks like 2-3 inches of snow. So, when I know there is or will be a lot of snow, I will drive the truck, but sometimes you just get caught.

One thing that bugs me for some reason with the Chrysler is the "hemi" engine that is not a hemi. It is just the name of the engine. They may as well have called it the "bob" engine. It is just a name. I am not sure why that bugs me so much, but I wild remove the "Hemi" badges if I got a Charger.

THanks for the suggestions. I have already considered the SHO the 300 and the Charger. I also took a long look at the CTS-v but rejected it because the cost, the styling is not all that great and the CTS is the most common car around here it seems. Plus Caddilacs carry with them a "smug rich guy" reputation. I do not care about that a lot, but I do a little. However I have not looked at the new fusion at all other than to see them in the lots.

I am hoping the SS will push the GXP prices down a bit, but since the SS is bland styling and no manual trans, it may have the opposite impact.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-16-2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 AM

You are the biggest tire kicker ever. I doubt you'll buy one. You'll be driving your POS Camaro until you die. You have been posting about this for over a year. Just go buy the car and live it up! Trade it in in a couple years for a 2011 CTS-V and repeat! Life is way too short to drive a POS, especially a F-body! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive