Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Regarding this option, can you add this option later meaning buying a car that doesn't have rear seat entertainment and then going to the dealer and having them install it on a new 2013 vehicle? Or does this have to be ordered from the factory or found in a car that already has it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Regarding this option, can you add this option later meaning buying a car that doesn't have rear seat entertainment and then going to the dealer and having them install it on a new 2013 vehicle? Or does this have to be ordered from the factory or found in a car that already has it?
Any quality stereo shop can add it later. The easiest install is to have them built into the headrests (they remove the factory headrests and snap in new ones). One major benefit to headrest installs vs ceiling mounted stuff is the viewing angle for the kids. Staring up at the ceiling at a 45 degree angle for hours can't be good. The headrest installs tend to be more eye level for kids in car seats.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
After sale installations can work, but what I have found works best with my nieces and nephews of multiple ages are mounting brackets for tablets (Gripdaddy for iPad in my case) that mimic the headrest in-car entertainment systems. Each can watch their own show if they so choose, and the headphones make for a lack of complaints about everyone having to listen to the same show.

If you wanted to add an Xbox or PlayStation, you would need the in-vehicle screen to accommodate it, not the tablets. However, I've never been a fan of a gaming console in any vehicle, even a van, because functionality is a bit more limited, in terms of the screen size and inability to use the Kinect or PlayStation Move.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
I had a dealer-installed aftermarket system installed in my wife's Lexus RX. I thought it was a better choice at half the cost of the factory system. Each headrest has a separately controlled DVD player/remote with it's own wireless headset. We've never even used it as my daughter prefers an iPad which allows not only movies, but additional apps also plus she has complete control in her hands rather than just a movie and a remote.

I just bought a MB ML with no rear seat entertainment as the iPad travels very easily with my kid.

The cost of any such system, whether factory or add-on, is far above the cost of an iPad (or maybe even two iPads) plus the tablets offer a whole lot more versatility.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
As for whether you need to order it with the car or have it put in later, yes you can certainly add it later. In general aftermarket is going to give you more flexibility in choices and most likely cost less. The advantage of having it included with the vehicle is that any system that comes with the car will be covered under the warranty. The headrest mounted systems that are becoming more and more common can cost upwards of $2k if factory ordered for a two screen setup in many vehicles. A similar aftermarket installation would be much cheaper.

However, I think bmwguydc was on the money with whether or not it's even needed. Our old minivan had a built-in DVD player that was roof mounted. It was nice, but the kids did occasionally argue over what to watch. On the new family car, we don't have anything built-in. The kids all have their own Nexus 7 tablets and those are way better options, IMO. The kids can download movies and shows to the tablet through our Comcast app or digital library. They can then watch whatever they want or play a game, draw, etc. No one misses the DVD player and the cost of a tablet (or three in my case) is much cheaper then having a RSE system installed and a tablet has way more uses then just in the car.

If you look at the industry trend, outside of minivans almost no one is offering packaged RSE systems anymore, instead basically going with a standalone option if people want it. However, more and more cars are featuring wi-fi "hotspots" for people to use tablets and other devices while on the road. So, the industries general position seems to be that built-in RSE systems are going the way of the CD player in favor of things like tablets.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
However, I think bmwguydc was on the money with whether or not it's even needed. Our old minivan had a built-in DVD player that was roof mounted. It was nice, but the kids did occasionally argue over what to watch. On the new family car, we don't have anything built-in. The kids all have their own Nexus 7 tablets and those are way better options, IMO. The kids can download movies and shows to the tablet through our Comcast app or digital library. They can then watch whatever they want or play a game, draw, etc. No one misses the DVD player and the cost of a tablet (or three in my case) is much cheaper then having a RSE system installed and a tablet has way more uses then just in the car.
I am not too tech savy. So, maybe you can answer a couple of questions about the comcast app. So, after I download the app is it possible to download movies and shows before I leave for a roadtrip or do I need a wifi connection to watch them in the car?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I am not too tech savy. So, maybe you can answer a couple of questions about the comcast app. So, after I download the app is it possible to download movies and shows before I leave for a roadtrip or do I need a wifi connection to watch them in the car?
When we first got the Xfinity/Comcast TV app, it gave us access to our OnDemand library based on the cable package we have. Shows had to be streamed, so you always needed an interent connection.

Around four months ago they updated the app and they now allow you to download certain programs directly to your device and play them without an interent connection. I know for a fact that Starz, Encore, all NBC Universal content, anything on StreamPix and Cartoon Network can be downloaded. So, it's not every show that you can get OnDemand, but a decent chunk. Starz usually has a nice selection of kid movies, so my kids will each download a couple of movies to their devices and maybe a couple of shows from Cartoon Network. The nice part is, even if the content is a little limited, it's free and when they are tired of the show or movie, they can just download another one.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Not to mention, can't you set up a network/hot spot with your cell phone?
The only place I really watch Netflix is one tv at home and my cell phone.

With tablets, portable blu-ray players (that hang over the seat backs), personal gaming systems, cell phones that have games on them, and good old fashioned BOOKS and conversation, I don't see the point in installing something in the car.

It's the same reason I didn't put nav in my second car (the 4Runner - I use for my kid and the dogs). I can just look that up on my phone.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,247 times
When I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s we drove from CT to FL every Feb for 12 years. There were no TVs, no DVD players, no cell phones. We had family conversations for 22 hours, played the Alphabet game and license plate bingo. My parents talked to us and taught us how to read and understand maps. There were 3 of us across the back seat of the Explorer and my parents in front. The car part of the trips were some of the best parts of my childhood. Not because of where we were going, but because we were an active family for an extended duration of time.

If my parents needed to concentrate on driving my brothers and I would talk to eachother, take naps, or read.

This will probably anger people in this thread, but connect with your kids, don't pawn them off on a TV, iPad, or other mindless entertainment for hours on end when you are sitting 2 feet away from them and can talk to to them. They will appreciate it when they grow up and will want to spend time with you to reconnect like they did when they were younger.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not to mention, can't you set up a network/hot spot with your cell phone?
You can. Now that most carriers have stopped charging extra for a hotspot, that becomes an easy option if you have the data plan to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
When I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s we drove from CT to FL every Feb for 12 years. There were no TVs, no DVD players, no cell phones. We had family conversations for 22 hours, played the Alphabet game and license plate bingo. My parents talked to us and taught us how to read and understand maps. There were 3 of us across the back seat of the Explorer and my parents in front. The car part of the trips were some of the best parts of my childhood. Not because of where we were going, but because we were an active family for an extended duration of time.

If my parents needed to concentrate on driving my brothers and I would talk to eachother, take naps, or read.

This will probably anger people in this thread, but connect with your kids, don't pawn them off on a TV, iPad, or other mindless entertainment for hours on end when you are sitting 2 feet away from them and can talk to to them. They will appreciate it when they grow up and will want to spend time with you to reconnect like they did when they were younger.
I was a kid back in the 80's and 90's and did the same thing on family roadtrips. Only difference? There were times I would have given my right nut to be able to watch a movie or play Space Invaders while on a long car ride.

I do agree with your general point and some people will do anything to avoid having to interact with their kids. I'm not one of those people. Heck, the only time I may get some peace and quiet is when I'm driving, lol. We live in a more rural area and getting anywhere usually means a 30-minute car ride. Shopping is usually a weekend excursion with the whole family. We spend a decent amount of time in the car and there are times the kids themselves and my wife and I prefer them to be "plugged in" to give everybody a break. What's that old saying...everything in moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive