Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM

157 posts, read 185,780 times

Advertisements

i buy only sub $800 mini-vans. If something big goes wrong, and I can't fix it myself, with a bit of help, I get $150 for it as scrap metal and buy another one. I have too much stuff to put it in a regular car, much less in a pickup without a camper shell, and I've had to live in a van too often to want to be without that option. I never buy from dealers, if I can possibly help it. I try to keep 2 such vans at all times, so that if one quits me, I have a spare. No point in paying a dealer an extra $500. I just refuse to waste a lot of money on full coverage insurance, car loan interest, or put much money into something that is so easily stolen, wrecked, or catches fire as a vehicle, especially a "non-van".

HAVE A shop look for cracks in the rubber covering of the CVC joints (if front wheel drive) and for coolant in the oil (cracked head or bad head gasket). the ones I buy ALWAYS have leaks, its a question of WHAT is leaking, and how badly. :-) check for transmisson or clutch slippage, bad or rusty brakes, At my level, there's ALWAYS problems, it's just a question of KNOWING about them, accepting them, or being able to fix them at low cost, and buying at a price that takes all the above into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Living in a sub $1,000 minivan and keeping a spare one so when the other one breaks sounds like a great life lol. Good thing not everyone is cheap like you, our economy would collapse!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
That sounds promising with the Civic. I hope that it checks out, but remember to frame the offer with a likely brake job in mind. And, remember the timing belt! . That is critical with a Honda because if it breaks, it will cause significant engine damage to the tune of a new engine.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

157 posts, read 185,780 times
good riddance, in my book. People like you are funding the enemy.

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
One thing no one has mentioned is what day is the best time to look at any cars.

Mon AM is the best at a NEW car dealership. Ask the saleman what cars were taken in on trade over the weekend and sitting behind the back fence. They will be kept as a KEEPER....sent to a detail shop....interior cleaned/repaired if needed....engine steam cleaned etc etc etc....if NOT a KEEPER it will be sold to some small independent car lot or maybe taken to the Car Auction....same difference.

I know this as having been a NEW car salesperson decades ago during my younger learning yrs.

Detailing is okay while steam cleaning the engine compartment removes any signs of oil leaks etc.

Personally I would rather see a dirty engine as it sits that will show any telltale signs......just me.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM

40 posts, read 170,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That sounds promising with the Civic. I hope that it checks out, but remember to frame the offer with a likely brake job in mind. And, remember the timing belt! . That is critical with a Honda because if it breaks, it will cause significant engine damage to the tune of a new engine.
Yes that was what I was really happy about, the timing belt was replaced not long ago and it almost looked brand new!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy42 View Post
Yes that was what I was really happy about, the timing belt was replaced not long ago and it almost looked brand new!
Great! You would be good to go another 60k on it then. So, only a brake job may be needed? That sounds promising.

My friend, who owns a Civic, said that her windows are slower than in their other car, but they work well. So, it may be a Civic trait, especially if they are not shuddering or making noise.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 PM

40 posts, read 170,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Great! You would be good to go another 60k on it then. So, only a brake job may be needed? That sounds promising.

My friend, who owns a Civic, said that her windows are slower than in their other car, but they work well. So, it may be a Civic trait, especially if they are not shuddering or making noise.
Ok cool because replacing those motors seem scary so since its not making any noise or anything it should be good. Hopefully all goes well at the mechanics on monday

Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy42 View Post
Ok cool because replacing those motors seem scary so since its not making any noise or anything it should be good. Hopefully all goes well at the mechanics on monday
If you do buy from the dealer, make sure when you agree on a price that it is out the door. They are really good at putting all kinds of fees for every thing.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
After watching 20/20 last night going after Carmax,I would have little confidence in them.The other site,maybe Auto Check,forgot name, revealed it had been wrecked and other instances etc..I am thinking about 2010 Camry and had some thought about using them.These sites are used by car dealers to get them off the hook,by owner best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive