Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM

40 posts, read 170,686 times

Advertisements

That will be the toughest part since finding a good year Honda around here is rare, but I know I cant take risks just because it's rare. More will show up eventually hopefully if its a dud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
There is always another car, and you can even look in surrounding cities where you may need to go with your father on a road trip to pick up the car. Don't get sold on one car, or even one type of car when looking for a vehicle to meet basic transportation needs.

An unscrupulous or dealership with a checkered reputation from one's own peer group is one of which you need to be especially wary. Assume that they are out to cheat you, and evaluate the Honda as though there are 100 more on the market. Be ready to walk as you have said, and others have suggested preparations for doing just that.

Good luck!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 13,984 times
Listen to your friends!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
If you are buying a $4000 car from a dealer, you are getting a $2000 car. Maybe $2500.

It really makes no sense to buy from a dealer when you are buying at the low end. You end up paying half or more of the value of the car to cover profit, marketing, insurance, rent, etc for the dealership.

IN most cases, the dealer will first say you can take the car to a mechanic to have it checked out, but then when you go to do it, they will make excuses and tell you someone else is coming to look at it so it must be on the lot and if you want it you had better buy it now before they arrive because it will probably be sold. Virtually all dealers I have encountered wil say yes to a mechanic inspection, but will not ever allow the car off the lot for the inspection. Sometimes they will suggest you have it inspected by their mechanic for $100. Something you absolutely do NOT want to do.

First do research on that car. Find out what typical problems come up at that age for that year and model. Then try to determine whether those problems have occurred and been corrected and/or whether you can afford to fix them. Also try to find someone who is familiar with Hondas and with modern cars who can look it over and advise you. Finally, do not be afraid to travel to buy a car. Even if it means flying to another state and driving the car home. THat cost is really very little compared to a typical repair. One downside of buying a used car is you often spend a lot of money just to determine a car is a bad deal. After doing that three times, you will be ready to buy anything sight unseen, or believe anything a dealer tells you.

Last thing to remember. Dealers are crafty. They are really good at seeming nice and looking out for our best interests (this is false). They come up with lots of things that sound good why you should buy form a dealer and/or why you should buy an extended warranty from them. The real reason is they want your money. Neither of these things are beneficial to you. At the price you are looking, you are going to get taken if you buy from a dealer. However if it is the car you really want, you will buy it anyway, and it may work out ok or it may be a disaster. THat can happen with any used car purchase, but it is more likely when buying from dealers or car flippers.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
you know, truly, you should not be going to that dealership and if you do not know how to check out a used car, either don't buy them, or get someone to have them tested for you. That's your safest bet. Or you will be sold a lemon.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

40 posts, read 170,686 times
The car is 3500 but im not paying any more that probably 2800 for it just because I know he's probably desperate to get rid of it. BTW to the guys saying that I should travel and fly to buy a car.........it's my first car and I go to college and have a job. I can't exactly just go off and find the perfect car in a different state sorry.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
My god that sounds astronomical for a car that is found literally on every block where I live.

2500 max is what I would do assuming its 5 spd and has no more than 130k on the odo. Maybe even less if its an auto.

It can be incredibly hard to go look at your first car and not want to jump all over it. Do not listen to anything they say, you need to make your own decision....

I would honestly still feel a ton better buying private party.

Another thing, pay close attention to these Hondas, nearly all of them have been stolen and stripped or broken into.
Make sure the engine is the ORIGINAL engine, and not a used replacement.

used auto places will sometimes get stolen/gutted cars and piece them back together using junkyard engines and parts.

So the body could have 120k on it, but the motor could have 190k

I hate to say it because I loved my Grandfather and would trust him with my life, but he may not be too sharp on Honda civics..

I would try to get a friend of mine that works on his own car and knows a lot about them and take him along too.

Its not hard to find a college kid that knows everything about the honda civic with Vtec yo! lol.

More info on the car, what area do you live because that would be helpful for getting a price average for comparison

Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
OP, my daughter is in the same place that you are and the pickens are slim to none. You will find your car but it may take awhile. I do agree on not buying from a dealer. Do you check ebay and craigslist?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Another vote to 86 the dealer. Look around and find something for sale by owner.

Keep in mind if you won't drive the car far and often, for example if you are commuting to college and only going home on weekends, a cheaper car with worse MPG may give a lower cost of ownership.

You have to know what you are looking at, try to find some friend who is into cars and can help you inspect, and teach you what to look at.

It would help us if you said what region of the country you are in, particularly rust belt or not, and what kind of driving you expect to do with the car.

Keep in mind most any older car will need some work soon after you get it, don't freak out when this happens. I would not reject a car that will soon need tires or brakes, if you drive it you will be replacing these probably several times during your ownership. Just make sure the price reflects the impending wear part replacement.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RLK45 View Post
Unless it's an American truck (prefered diesel) I'd use caution buying anything 15+ years old.

Ford Powerstroke Econoline Van with 1.4 Million Miles - YouTube

But the fanboys think their ricer will outlive even one of these.
This might be the dumbest advice in this thread.

The care and feeding of large diesels is a lot different than a four-cylinder gasser.

The parts and labor are infinitely more expensive for diesels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive