Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Very scary. I always wonder what would happen if somebody's car is leaking gas or oil.

Well, that's pretty unlikely. You'll "never" get a cigarette to light a pool of gasoline on fire. Its the vapours that ignite. On a moving vehicle? I'd say its next to impossible. The breeze alone would more than likely keep the vapours from accumulating to the right air/gas ratio for this to even happen.

Same goes for oil. While it is flammable, it isn't volitile. It would have to be heated up almost to the boiling point where again, its the vapours that ignite. Then again, you need the right air/fuel/heat mixture for anything to happen.

You can throw a burning cigarette into a pool of gas and it isn't going to do anything but go out. Why? There is no oxygen in it.

Hold that smoke over a pool of gas, maybe. A lit match, yes. Throw lit match into pool of gas, no.

A cigarette can and will set gas on fire, but the conditions have to be just right.

If somehow, this actually happened from a tossed smoke, it would be God sending a message to that person to maintain their effing vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
SO the police stop you a lot?
No but I do get the occasional speeding ticket lol. Mostly in my youth.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You can throw a burning cigarette into a pool of gas and it isn't going to do anything but go out. Why? There is no oxygen in it.

Hold that smoke over a pool of gas, maybe. A lit match, yes. Throw lit match into pool of gas, no.
Wrong. You are right that it is the vapor that ignites, but throwing a cigarette or a match onto a pool of gas WILL INDEED light it up.

Go pour some gas in a puddle in your garage and throw a match on it and see what happens.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, that's pretty unlikely. You'll "never" get a cigarette to light a pool of gasoline on fire. Its the vapours that ignite. On a moving vehicle? I'd say its next to impossible. The breeze alone would more than likely keep the vapours from accumulating to the right air/gas ratio for this to even happen.

Same goes for oil. While it is flammable, it isn't volitile. It would have to be heated up almost to the boiling point where again, its the vapours that ignite. Then again, you need the right air/fuel/heat mixture for anything to happen.

A cigarette can and will set gas on fire, but the conditions have to be just right.

If somehow, this actually happened from a tossed smoke, it would be God sending a message to that person to maintain their effing vehicle.
So how about when that lit cigarette or match is ABOVE the pool of gas before it gets in it?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They stopped putting ashtrays in cars in the past years, which IMO is a big part of the problem.
I've used coffee cups, water bottles or soda cans for as long as I can remember for butts, when I smoked (have since quit.)
Cleaner and not as stinky, and the ashtray is handy for coins or business cards or whatever.

Even when I smoked, I hated seeing people flick butts out of a vehicle. I'm aware of the extreme animosity some people have for smokers and it just makes all of them look bad.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Wrong. You are right that it is the vapor that ignites, but throwing a cigarette or a match onto a pool of gas WILL INDEED light it up.

Go pour some gas in a puddle in your garage and throw a match on it and see what happens.
In your garage, it might be possible since there is no breeze to disturb the vapours. Go do it in your driveway and see what happens.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike756 View Post
No one told you to drive a motorcycle

Really? That is your response? Pretty juvenile.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM

202 posts, read 532,077 times
Good luck throwing a match. Please film it.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They stopped putting ashtrays in cars in the past years, which IMO is a big part of the problem.

Most cars have a smokers option. If someone wants to smoke, they should pay for the tiny upgrade, or get a ashtray that sits in a cup holder.

Smokers should be inconvenienced.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So how about when that lit cigarette or match is ABOVE the pool of gas before it gets in it?

I dunno. These guys are fine.

Put that cigarette in gasoline! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive