Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I dunno. These guys are fine.

Put that cigarette in gasoline! - YouTube
My friend if you are serious please may sure you carry a lot of insurance to pay for your surviving family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
My friend if you are serious please may sure you carry a lot of insurance to pay for your surviving family.
Why? Richard Tontarski, ATF forensic fire investigator wanted to see if all these "accidental" fires with "spilt" gas were actually happening.

Quote:
He and colleagues experimented. They dropped burning cigarettes into trays of petrol. They sprayed a fine mist of petrol at a lighted cigarette. They even used a vacuum device to produce the higher temperature (900-950C) of a cigarette being sucked. In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not ignite.

Cigarettes + gasoline = explosion? | lying for a living

I revise my statement about matches, kind of. They're more plausable because of an open flame, but a smoke isn't going to do it.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Why? Richard Tontarski, ATF forensic fire investigator wanted to see if all these "accidental" fires with "spilt" gas were actually happening.

Cigarettes + gasoline = explosion? | lying for a living

I revise my statement about matches, kind of. They're more plausable because of an open flame, but a smoke isn't going to do it.

But the movies say so...

Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They stopped putting ashtrays in cars in the past years, which IMO is a big part of the problem.
That has almost nothing to do with it. Smokers have been tossing butts since the opportunity existed. Many smokers will tell you that they don't want the mess in their car, ironically, so having an ashtray is irrelevant to them. There are no trash cans in cars but (most) people don't throw their junk out of the window. If people agree that tossing butts is littering they would find a way to not do it.

On an off topic note, what effects do the tens of billions of cigarettes smoked daily have on the environment?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Not ALL smokers are rude and inconsiderate...

I have quit, but when I was a smoker, I never threw my butts out of a car, or dropped them on the ground. I lived for many years in Colorado, which is a very dry state and fires alongside the highways were not uncommon, started by tossed-out cigarettes.

I hate to see butts (or any other litter for that matter) being tossed out of cars or dropped on the ground.
I was driving in Mexico and saw the guy in front of me flick his butt out the window. The entire field on the left erupted in flames, and it started a massive, out-of-control fire. People are idiots.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Well the butts stink AND they need the ash tray for change for parking and road tolls. SO WHAT would you have these IMPORTANT PEOPLE do with their butts??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Another thread in which middle class neo-Puritans make a public display of their virtue. Go back to cheating Indians and flogging Quakers.
I am really sorry if you didn't sense the sarcasm there!!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yep, it is a pet peeve of mine. These idiots don't know WHERE the hot ember will land and they don't care.

What if it goes into someones open window? What if it blows back on a biker behind them? I remember the severe drought we had in Tennessee a few years back. You would see "burn areas" along the interstate where smokers flicked out a butt and started a grass fire.

I d some walking on my road which is very quiet (one & 1/2 lane country road) which makes it attractive to the drunks. One idiot has been stopping and emptying his/her entire ashtray on the road. It is commendable that they USE their ashtray but they are pigs for dumping the contents in a pile on my road.
I can't remember the last time that I saw someone throw a cigarette out of a car window. I do see piles of butts where people have emptied an ashtray. I don't understand why anyone would do that in the parking lot of a convenience store when there is a trash receptacle just a few feet away.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 PM

334 posts, read 451,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't remember the last time that I saw someone throw a cigarette out of a car window. I do see piles of butts where people have emptied an ashtray. I don't understand why anyone would do that in the parking lot of a convenience store when there is a trash receptacle just a few feet away.
When the weather is appropriate for open windows I see an average of at least one a day throw their butt out the window.

When I smoked I always used a pop can, when it got full I threw the whole can away.

I use the ashtray for gas receipts.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
On an off topic note, what effects do the tens of billions of cigarettes smoked daily have on the environment?
http://www.nobuttsaboutit.net/upload...ER-generic.ppt

It's more like 4.5 trillion annually world wide.

They start fires, some of which kill children, other nonsmokers, and firefighters.

They pollute water and kill animals that eat them.

"Smokers litter their cigarettes within 10 feet of a permanent ashtray because they are unaware that their habit is causing litter."

Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM

124 posts, read 145,192 times
It bothers me too but why tell people to put their cigarette butts in their ashtray when they can toss it out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive