U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM

2,715 posts, read 10,791,194 times

Advertisements

I wish I had my 92 Honda Accord back. I sold her cheap (3.5 years ago), yet I miss her everyday.

They simply don't make cars like that anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM

23,704 posts, read 30,342,350 times
I have not really sold a car I later wanted back. But I have not sold many cars (I usually keep them a long time).

I do kind of miss the 1970 Cadillac Sedan de Ville I owned for a few years. I sold it because I had too many cars.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,159,878 times
I wish I could get my 1976 camaro back. Loved that car. Rebuilt the 305 motor and it ran like new.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,304,656 times
A friend sold his 86 Mustang GT about 10 years ago right after he finished totally redoing it with a built motor, supercharger, black leather interior, etc. About 5 years later he was in the market again and happened to email the guy he sold it to, and the guy was then ready to sell it. The short story; the guy that bought it basically paid for the opportunity to store the car for my friend over the 5 years, as my friend bought it back for quite a bit less than he sold it for. It did need some repairs, but nowhere near the difference in the price.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM

708 posts, read 928,136 times
Well,not quite.In 1989 I bought an '83 Cutlass Ciera.It was my 2nd car,but the first I picked out and bought. In 1990 I traded it in for a Cutlass Supreme.My father would say he saw "my"car around a nearby town after that,and the new owner had painted a stripe on the hood,roof and trunk lid.I thought he was mistaken,because Cieras were everywhere at the time.But in 1992 I was with a friend in a local junkyard and there it was.A silver Ciera with a black stripe!It still had bumper damage from when it was rear ended shortly after I bought it,and MY Midas muffler warranty under the front passenger seat.I couldn't help it.I ran out to by a Funsaver camera and recreated the picture from the night I bought it,me standing proudly by the drivers door.Then I asked the junkyard owner if I could buy the badges off of it.He said I could have them.She was getting crushed soon.I still have those pictures my "LS" and "Ciera" badges.Sad to think that poor car never made it to 10.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,774,921 times
I was at the Victoria, B.C. spring auto show and there were two Duesenbergs there, original island cars!
They had been owned by the two families grandfathers, and the third generation bought the cars back, restored them to concourse, and returned them to the island decades later.

It made the beautiful machines all the more important.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM

27,802 posts, read 58,650,731 times
Like Fleet... not many have got away... I still have my first car I bought at age 13 and just about everyone after that.

I did sell a few over the years... a factory stock 1968 Z-28 with 36,000 miles and a 1970 GTO Convertible...

Most of the cars that got away were cars I wanted to buy and had no place to keep... 64 TBird Convertible, 1970 Dart 340 with Stick and 68 Mustang fastback with Stick and a 69 Indy Pace Convertible Camaro...

You see... at age 12 I started working as a gopher for a car lot and lots of interesting things came through there... especially when the gas lines stated... the 18,000 mile Dart with the 340 Stick was traded in on a Pinto...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,211,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I wish I had my 92 Honda Accord back. I sold her cheap (3.5 years ago), yet I miss her everyday.

They simply don't make cars like that anymore.
And thank goodness for that!

Just kidding. I've actually owned two different 91 Accords (plus an 87, an 89, and a 99--and I've test-driven every version since the 82-85), and they are fine cars for the era--among the very finest--but personally, I think they keep getting better.

Same efficiency--about 28 MPG all around for me--but each new version has gotten safer, more comfortable, faster, better-riding, and quieter. They've become progressively better Interstate cruisers that are more reliable with less maintenance, and progressively smarter engineering has made each one easier to work on with fewer parts to remove and replace and more room to work.

If I didn't have a preference for hatchbacks and wagons over sedans and coupe(d-up)s, all I'd ever buy would be Accords--the newer the better.

Civics have similarly gotten better--I've owned a few of those, too--but Accords seem more durable, more plentiful, and are usually the better used car value. In my area, same year used Accords are barely more expensive than Civics.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 03-18-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

969 posts, read 1,038,322 times
Yes, after watching James Bond 007 Goldfinger my Dad went out and bought a '65 Mustang Fastback K-Code 4 speed in early 1965. He drove my Mom around in it.

Like a dingy, he sold it several years later to get something else... Like a freaking '69 Buick of somekind. lol You're a dumbass Dad. lol

Anyway, many years later I bought one back for me. The first time I drove him around in it before it's restoration started, I think I nearly jerked a tear from his eye. It was like the first time he had sex or someone just gave him $1,000,000 kind of joy.

I'll never forget that.....And I'll never sell this one either.

That's NEVER!!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

6,256 posts, read 15,061,593 times
I've tried to find my late grandfather's Ford Model T, but I've never had any luck. As far as my cars go, I never sell to someone if I think they won't take care of it. I've even turned down higher offers if the car was going to go to a kid for his first car, etc.

When I do sell a car, I do it because it's time to move on, I've never sold one that I just had to have back. Then again, I've never been forced to sell a car for some reason involuntarily, so if that happened, then I could see myself wanting the same car again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive