U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

29,646 posts, read 71,930,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I've tried to find my late grandfather's Ford Model T, but I've never had any luck. As far as my cars go, I never sell to someone if I think they won't take care of it. I've even turned down higher offers if the car was going to go to a kid for his first car, etc.

When I do sell a car, I do it because it's time to move on, I've never sold one that I just had to have back. Then again, I've never been forced to sell a car for some reason involuntarily, so if that happened, then I could see myself wanting the same car again.
Do you go out and have a long talk with the car before you sell it?

with newer cars you can give it your E-mial address or stay in touch with it on facebook!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM

6,256 posts, read 15,047,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do you go out and have a long talk with the car before you sell it?

with newer cars you can give it your E-mial address or stay in touch with it on facebook!
That's a brilliant idea!

I have cars that I have put countless hours of wrenching and tuning into them. I'm not going to sell something like that to a kid for his first car to go wrap around a tree because he's not ready for or mature enough to handle 500 horsepower.

It's called pride of ownership, and I try to make sure the new buyer has it as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 11,916,658 times
Along with the MGB story I posted earlier I had another auto a 1993 F150 XLT 4x4, 302 V8 short bed reg cab pickup that I bought brand new. I was so proud of that truck and did some extras to it like dual exhaust, lighted visor, extra lights, bedliner. The truck was black and chrome and very sharp. Even years later guys in traffic would stare at it because it was such a neat setup. I had the truck until 2002 when I sold it private for a 02 Supercrew Lariat. The body and the interior were like new but underneath it was rusting out. The guy who bought it lived over 100 miles away so I didn't think I would ever see it again. One day in 2006 I was working at a local dealership when I looked out the window and saw a really neat looking truck. I went out to have a closer look and sure enough it was my 93. I spoke with the guy who was thinking about trading it in. He didn't but the truck still looked in good shape and he reported it had been a good truck for him.
You don't often see short bed, reg cab, 4x4 pickups and when I do I fondly remember my old 1993 Ford.
Old trucks, Jeeps, sports cars, seem to take on a character and work their way into our hearts.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM

812 posts, read 2,315,429 times
Sold and bought back an '85 300ZX turbo, but then sold it again after a couple years. The first time I sold the Z, it was traded in on a new truck at a Ford dealership. About a year or so later, my sister-in-law saw a picture of it for sale in a color flyer. It had a few thousand miles put on it and for whatever reason, I bought the car back. It's been over 10 years since I sold it the 2nd time and haven't tried to locate it. I'm sure it's probably ragged out by now, who knows. I thought it was a great looking car and color scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying back the one that got away-dcp_0819.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

29,646 posts, read 71,930,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That's a brilliant idea!

I have cars that I have put countless hours of wrenching and tuning into them. I'm not going to sell something like that to a kid for his first car to go wrap around a tree because he's not ready for or mature enough to handle 500 horsepower.

It's called pride of ownership, and I try to make sure the new buyer has it as well.
I can understand the sentiment (although I can make fun of it too). I am the same way with houses. I am not that way with cars. A car is a thing to me. When I am done with the thing, if someone wants it they can drive it, plant flowers in it, crush it, whatever, it does not bother me. If I want it to remain in use, then I will keep it.

I am like you with houses. I put so much into meticulously restoring them with as much historical accuracy as possible, I am picky about who I would sell it to. Unfortunately, as I learned, some sellers are very clever about lying about their intentions and interest. Probably the same with cars.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,256,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I wish i could find my 71 Datsun
Congrats O.P.!
It's a rarity that are favorite cars find their way back to us later in life.
Same here, but not a Datsun for me... I wish I could find my 1981 Camaro! It was my first car that was officially MINE. My Dad gave it to me when I was 16 or 17 (dumb! lol!).. and it was special because he restored it for me himself, including paint and all the interior trim, carpeting, etc. So, it didn't look like any other, really.

I was stupid, didn't take proper care of it, and when it gave me trouble I was so in love with the idea of a "new car", had a good job (for a 19 year old) so I was okay with a car payment, and so I stupidly traded it in. For a Hyundai!

I am not normally THAT sentimental about cars but this one is an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I can understand the sentiment (although I can make fun of it too). I am the same way with houses. I am not that way with cars. A car is a thing to me. When I am done with the thing, if someone wants it they can drive it, plant flowers in it, crush it, whatever, it does not bother me. If I want it to remain in use, then I will keep it.

I am like you with houses. I put so much into meticulously restoring them with as much historical accuracy as possible, I am picky about who I would sell it to. Unfortunately, as I learned, some sellers are very clever about lying about their intentions and interest. Probably the same with cars.
My mom is that way with houses. Specifically, my childhood home. We lived there from 1974 through 1985 but she kept it as a rental property even though it meant being a long distance landlord and she still owns it. She recently had an offer from a neighbor (next door) when she was there in between tenants, cleaning it out, and he made the mistake of telling her he wanted it so he could tear it down and have a double lot! Now she'll never sell it if she is afraid of that, and sadly, she NEEDS to, really. Sure, I have fond memories of it and I spend lots of time saying "Awww, remember when...?" when I am there. but it's become a financial drain for my mom at this point. She always thought me or my brother would return to live in it someday, she says. No way I'd live in that town again though, voluntarily!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 AM

3,363 posts, read 2,910,449 times
There are about 4 different cars I have owned that I would love to buy back. I even have the VIN on a few of them but have never had any luck tracking them down. Would be amazing to find the first 1966 Mustang I bought when I was 15 years old. Lots of good memories and that is something I would love to hand down to my son...some things you never think about when you are young.

It would be cool if city data had a thread strickly for those looking to find their old cars. Make a thread where people can sift through cars people are searching for with as much info as they remember about them and see if you have any luck at being contacted with the whereabouts.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM

27,801 posts, read 58,611,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
There are about 4 different cars I have owned that I would love to buy back. I even have the VIN on a few of them but have never had any luck tracking them down. Would be amazing to find the first 1966 Mustang I bought when I was 15 years old. Lots of good memories and that is something I would love to hand down to my son...some things you never think about when you are young.

It would be cool if city data had a thread strickly for those looking to find their old cars. Make a thread where people can sift through cars people are searching for with as much info as they remember about them and see if you have any luck at being contacted with the whereabouts.
The 68 Mustang I restored for my brother ended up in New Zealand... he owned it since a few days before his 16th birthday...

Family and kids and no garage to keep it... put an ad in Criagslist and had two guys with cash in his driveway... one from Germany and the other from New Zealand...

He drove it more than 30 years with the same engine and trans I rebuilt and the same paint... It was nice because it had factory air, am-fm, console, GT options...

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,503,189 times
I've often thought of trying to track down and buy back my old 98' Honda CBR900RR. Had to sell it to pay for my last year of college. Not the most powerful bike but it has some sentimental value.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM

3,363 posts, read 2,910,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The 68 Mustang I restored for my brother ended up in New Zealand... he owned it since a few days before his 16th birthday...

Family and kids and no garage to keep it... put an ad in Criagslist and had two guys with cash in his driveway... one from Germany and the other from New Zealand...

He drove it more than 30 years with the same engine and trans I rebuilt and the same paint... It was nice because it had factory air, am-fm, console, GT options...
Its funny I have a 66 Mustang now but I have no time for it and it just sits there in my garage. I thought about selling it but my wife and kids wont let me, lol. For me though, this car doesnt really have any sentimental value as the ones I had as a teenager. My wife on the other hand bought it for me when we got married and it has been around ever since my son was born and used to play in it so for them I guess it has sentimental value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive