U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 AM

223 posts, read 674,965 times

Advertisements

Ever buy back the one that got away? Some years ago I sold my pristine Jeep to a guy because I needed the cash. I always regretted doing that but times were tough and I thought someday I'd get another. I've looked recently and never quite found a nice clean one like I had sold. Fast forward to last week and the guy I sold it to calls me out of the blue because he wanted to sell the Jeep because he's moving on to something else! He's enjoyed it for a few years, took great care of it but he's moving on. He knew I was very attached to it so he called me first. I looked at it and he gave me a great price! Now I have the Jeep back and she's not going aanywhere anytime soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 AM

780 posts, read 2,570,784 times
I have heard stories like that. I'm unsure if I will do something like that, it never happened to me. I usually move on after selling a car; so far the trend is going with a newer vehicle than the one replaced.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 21,629,502 times
From yesterday's paper..... 75-year-old Chevy returns to original owner | laster, car, chevy - News - The Orange County Register
Usually when you get back the one that got away, you remember why you let it get away. One tends to remember the good and forget the bad...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 AM

114 posts, read 296,916 times
I've heard of this happening with men/women, but not with cars!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM

9,131 posts, read 17,424,825 times
I think I would only realistically do it if it was a rather special or rare car, I was forced to sell (as the OP was) and could get it back (and the car was still worth taking back). Cannot see doing it for a run of the mill daily driver.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,862,808 times
Ive tried but never been able to locate them

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM

8,916 posts, read 9,646,992 times
I wish i could find my 71 Datsun
Congrats O.P.!
It's a rarity that are favorite cars find their way back to us later in life.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM

17,749 posts, read 11,730,119 times
That is a neat story Jeepin4us. Funny how certain types of cars strike us. I look back fondly at a 85 CJ7 I had that rusted out around me and died. For fun I now enjoy my wifes 2002 Wrangler for my JeeP fix.
My first car was a 1977 MGB that I bought in 1985 and putted around until 2000 when I reluctantly sold it, I had built a Cobra replica and didn't need another 2 two seater conv. This past Fall I spotted a white MGB at a body shop and had a feelign about it so stopped by to check it out and sure enough it was mine! Many of the little extra tidbits I put on over the years were still there like a bumper sticker, seat covers, fog lights, British flag on the dash. It was almost like the car was put away somewhere and left BUT it was badly rusted out.
I wouldn't want to buy it back now but it was fun to see it and spark the old memories. It has since disappeared from the shop so I don't know what happened to it.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

29,522 posts, read 71,425,747 times
My first one that got away was a hemi cuda convertable that was $750 but I needed to borrow $250 and dad said no. I could not buy it back, it costs about $1.3 million now.

I almost bought back my old Jensen Healey. It got ahead of me in repairs and ended up sitting in the garage for years. I finally just donated it to a charity. They guy who bought it died and another guy bought it from his heirs for about $300. HE then contacted me and I just happened to have a whole bunch of magazines, manuals, and spare parts I wanted to get out of the garage, so he came and got them.

He restored that car beautifully. Frame off I think.

Years later I had some spare money and decided to buy another Jensen Healey only this time fully restored and already perfect. I had no time for restoring a car. I looked on E-bay and found one that appeared beautifully restored. Alas, the auction had just closed. I e-mailed the guy and told him I would buy it if the deal fell through (Ebay car sales often do not go through). After an exchange of E-mail, we determine this was the same guy and he was selling my old Jensen Healey to start another project. Unfortunately, the sale went through. A month later I bought another more expensive one on E-bay and got totally ripped off (long story).

Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

10,218 posts, read 14,361,478 times
I recently picked up an old Mustang and contacted the owner from 1987-1998 for some info. He informed me that if he knew it was for sale he would have bought it back.

Not that I have plans on selling he, but if I do I know who to contact first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive