Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have to correct one error: I am DH. DW likes it, though.

The work can be split up. Honestly I'm probably overestimating the cost. Most of that would be the bodywork and paint. If it were to be replaced it would still have to he something that would pull the camper, so probably a smaller suv. Except for things requiring equipment I don't have, I could do the maintenance myself. Alternator or water pump, ok. Ball joints or head gaskets, it's going out.
I wouldn't do paint or body work to a truck like this with you being in rust country. You could go to something with better MPG though, what you quoted is pretty thirsty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 9,780 times
I would keep it with the problems it may have.... Alot of newer cars/trucks are a bit pricey to fix nowadays

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
I know the paint and rust work is optional, but it would make the Mrs happy. And that matters. The main reason I put this out there is because I think it's close to the "critical mass" point where I have to do the math and weigh it out. It's not really a no-brainer. If it was in a little worse shape, I'd say go for a replacement. A little better, and I'd just fix and go without question. I'm leaning toward fix and go, to get 2 to 3 more years out of it.
Everything in your post in this thread say you will keep this car. Every post says you are happy with this car and won't mind paying for normal parts failures when they happen. Now it's time to listen to yourself and stop second guessing yourself over not so great gas MPG which is THE SMALLEST CONSIDERATION IN OWNing ANY CAR.

We are really fond of our 1993 suburban that we've owned since it arrived from the factory to the dealers shop. We keep up on the changes in cars but never really WANT a different car since, like you, we are very happy with what we own enough to keep on keeping on with it. I don't care what gas cost since that cost is small by comparison in total cost dollars to a different car. Gas at $5>$6 a gallon?? I just adjust my driving habits to suit to cut any waste and keep on driving a car we really, really like!

I think you should stop the anguish over your car and just enjoy it, fix it, keep it until you no longer love it.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Everything in your post in this thread say you will keep this car. Every post says you are happy with this car and won't mind paying for normal parts failures when they happen. Now it's time to listen to yourself and stop second guessing yourself over not so great gas MPG which is THE SMALLEST CONSIDERATION IN OWNing ANY CAR.

We are really fond of our 1993 suburban that we've owned since it arrived from the factory to the dealers shop. We keep up on the changes in cars but never really WANT a different car since, like you, we are very happy with what we own enough to keep on keeping on with it. I don't care what gas cost since that cost is small by comparison in total cost dollars to a different car. Gas at $5>$6 a gallon?? I just adjust my driving habits to suit to cut any waste and keep on driving a car we really, really like!

I think you should stop the anguish over your car and just enjoy it, fix it, keep it until you no longer love it.
Well, you about summed it up. I posted this mainly to see if I was missing anything major, but it really seems to make more sense to keep it at this point. I'll do the repairs, and even despite some advice here I will likely make it prettier again. Drive it for a couple more years and call it good. The "return on investment" I mentioned earlier will be in the form of additional service and satisfaction from this vehicle that we like. In 3 years, my daughter will be of driving age, if this thing is still ticking then we'll evaluate whether it will be a good car for her.

Thanks to all for your input. Even the ones I got testy at.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Well, you about summed it up. I posted this mainly to see if I was missing anything major, but it really seems to make more sense to keep it at this point. I'll do the repairs, and even despite some advice here I will likely make it prettier again. Drive it for a couple more years and call it good. The "return on investment" I mentioned earlier will be in the form of additional service and satisfaction from this vehicle that we like. In 3 years, my daughter will be of driving age, if this thing is still ticking then we'll evaluate whether it will be a good car for her.

You will find that your plan to pass this car on to your daughter is a really smart savvy plan since you will know the history of this car for the safety of a newbie driver she will also be driving a car she is familiar with a key point for a newbie driver. If she has her first wreck , and she might, in this car you can walk away knowing you got the most out of it that you ever could. No dealing with unknowns and worry for you!!

Smart man! Yes, indeed very smart!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
Default Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Dodge transmissions are pretty terrible, just keep that in mind. I'm surprised you got 140k out of the one you have.
I agree and dissagree....

If you keep them serviced every 30K they last a long time. Also, keep all driveline and coolant flushed-changed every 30K it helps BIG TIME in Dodge and Jeep Vehicles.
( we all know someone who never has never changed these fluids and they drove their whatever a million miles)

Rebuild the Durango is my vote.....
Keep it...

They are HORRIBLE on fuel. I had the Dakota 5.9 RT it was the worst MPG vehicle I have ever owned.
But I liked it,,,,,

Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Yeah the fuel mileage is really the only downside to the truck. It's bad. She can get almost 15 out of it, I can only get about 13. Full time 4wd does not help it any. But I think it's probably not smart to swap out a vehicle solely based on that, especially since we'd be looking at another SUV anyway, so the gains would be slight. The only questionably smart (weasel words lol) thing I'm about to do is the rust repair. But if DW is going to drive it, it will have to look better. I was doing the math on that, and will likely get it done for 1500 to maybe 2k. And I still think I'm overestimating, but better to plan heavy and spend less than I thought. I'd do the paint myself as I have done in the past bit do not currently have a suitable place for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive